Boat recommendations? (Research stage)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glitterkitten

I am an early 40’s, landlocked, obsessive traveler, considering a liveaboard. I’m a single female, currently living in a studio apartment with very few belongings. I don’t need much space, but would prefer two staterooms if I have company. Don’t need a megayacht by any means, but a comfortable bedroom and living area with space for a couch.

My idea is to live in different cities worldwide for a month to few months at a time, with the boat being floating housing for me. So mostly coast hugging in the Caribbean, Mediterranean and South Pacific as ideal locations. But I need to be able to get it across the ocean(s) at some point; which may be years in between crossings.

The amount of boat types is overwhelming! From what I have researched, it’s looking like trawlers and motoryachts are the most recommended for non-sailors. (Yes, I am looking into sailboats too). Budget is under $100k for a used one, so a Nordvham seems to be out of the question :rofl:

Does anyone have suggestions? And of course, I have no experience yet. :blush:

If you are dreaming out loud, great. Enjoy the dream. If this is a troll, shame on you. If you are serious, you have started at the wrong point. You should start with a power squadron class.

What you will need is a sail boat. I would think about moving close to the coast where you could meet people who would be willing to show you how it's done. Finding a trawler capable of going places you want to go, with the budget you have set, is going to be really tough to do. But lot's of people do it in sail boats. There are lot's of videos on YouTube of people doing what you want to do, but 99% are doing in sail boats.

Check out these channels:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgAW5P0Xf4iOBAr4PSQ9oRQ

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRqsOR0Y2zru-jXSzLcMcxg

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYfFeySHGN4DPrOc9So7PA

Not a troll - and I seriously am at the beginning, beginning stages of looking. I don’t know the difference between anything yet. I have been recommended a sailboat mostly, but am exploring all the options.

Sailboats generally have a lot less operating costs getting from A to B. You trade that for the time it takes. But in the event of complications the costs rack up nearly as quickly as power. That and pointing a motorboat in a given direction is a lot less involved than sailing.

For coastal cruising, a trawler can be as cheap to operate as a sailboat (counting price of rigging and sail refresh etc).

If you are hell bent on the three destinations you mentioned, only a sailboat will have the range you need to get it done on a budget.

But in reality, if you are talking about bouncing around from the South Pacific to the Med, you don't have any idea of what that entails. That journey by itself is multiple years for most people.

Get an idea of what you really want to do. Coastal cruising is cheap, circumnavigating is not. Figure out what you really want to do and can afford to do, that will help you figure out what boat you want.

I've been a sailor, currently a powerboater with plans to become a sailor again, you really need to figure out what you want to do because they are very different boats.

GK - You'll struggle to find a powerboat or a sailing catamaran that will cross oceans with a 100k budget. With a monohull sailboat it is possible, but will take a few years of dedication to build up the skills required.

Another option may be to do it with three different coastal cruiser sailboats; just buy and sell as required. Start looking at yachtworld.com and get to know the value of different boats. Join a sailing club. Enjoy!

Living on a yacht isn't the same as living in Denver. For the type of boat that will do what you are asking requires a significant on going income stream in addition to just buying the boat. Because buying the boat is just the start. The costs will be reduced if you decide not to cross oceans. Successfully crossing oceans escalates the required items and expenses versus a coastal cruiser. There are no marinas in the middle of the South Pacific.

Then there is the training and skill you need to do the job. As a suggestion if you have flexible time, you can be part of a crew or hand on a vessel that is traveling. There are a couple of site where you can be free labor on a vessel going on all kinds of trips. Or you may need to chip in for some expenses. I would also recommend getting training at some of the schools since you have no experience, A school can at least teach you terms, what is proper on the water and other things. Doesn't replace being on the water and yet there are on the water classes too.

Last edited:
I am an early 40’s, landlocked, obsessive traveler, considering a liveaboard. I’m a single female, currently living in a studio apartment with very few belongings. I don’t need much space, but would prefer two staterooms if I have company. Don’t need a megayacht by any means, but a comfortable bedroom and living area with space for a couch.

My idea is to live in different cities worldwide for a month to few months at a time, with the boat being floating housing for me. So mostly coast hugging in the Caribbean, Mediterranean and South Pacific as ideal locations. But I need to be able to get it across the ocean(s) at some point; which may be years in between crossings.

The amount of boat types is overwhelming! From what I have researched, it’s looking like trawlers and motoryachts are the most recommended for non-sailors. (Yes, I am looking into sailboats too). Budget is under $100k for a used one, so a Nordvham seems to be out of the question :rofl:

Does anyone have suggestions? And of course, I have no experience yet. :blush:

Wifey B: Ok, I just woke up to this and it sure woke me up. 6:00 AM here. Now, a reality check.

You're a lot of training and experience away. If you really work at it, I could see you doing some coastal cruising in a year or two. I could even see you cruising in the Caribbean in the next 5 years and perhaps cross an ocean in 10-15. That's with a lot of time on it and you may not have that time while trying to make a living at the same time. You didn't say if you intend to do that on the boat or in each city you move around to.

Have you ever seen the original "Sound of Music" with Julie Andrews? There's a very important song. Do Re Mi.

Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start
When you read you begin with ABC
When you sing you begin with Do, Re, Mi, Do, Re, Mi
The first three notes just happen to be
Do, Re, Mi,

You're jumping way too far too fast. You don't even know if you'll like a boat. You're on a limited budget, so you going to learn to maintain it?

Now, you have a dream and I applaud that and 40 is still young. I thought it was old but I turn it in June so now I'm saying it's young. Very young. Before you think worldwide, think of getting just to where there is water and out of Denver. You could get a cheaper boat and do the coast and the great loop but it wouldn't be capable of oceans. However, it would be far more capable than you would be. Take courses, take a Captains Class. Rent a boat. Charter a boat. Join a sailing club. Immerse yourself and then see how you feel.

You're probably thinking of buying your lifetime boat, but let me tell you no one does that at 40. Oh, you'll hear, "I'm buying my last boat first." BS. Totally. They think. Then they buy their next last boat and their next. Find the threads of N4061. His Nordhavn 40 was his last. He even tattooed it on his TF. Then a Helmsman. Definitely it. Well, except now he's starting to build another. When he hits 99 years old he'll be in one boat planning another. I teasing him but we're worse. It's just you need to find what will work for you after some training but not plan on the Caribbean and World yet. That leaves you dreams for the future. You could spend decades seeing part of this country by water that you've never seen.

Best of luck, just take it one step at a time. :D

I have a buddy in Australia preparing for the next leg in his circumnavigation. I'll ask if he wants company. Ready to go?

You can piggyback your boat on a ship for crossing oceans. Open water gets pretty samey and you might not like it. Not that much, anyway.

Last edited:

It's good to have a starting point... and when we were living in Parker and working in Aurora back in the early '90s, our normal location near the Chesapeake seemed pretty far away... :)

Your concept is likely going to turn into one of those situations where you can meet criteria for living comfort, affordability, and long distances... but you can only pick any two of those three criteria.

OTOH, it's your dream, so you can also modify it (if you choose) as you learn more about competing requirements. Consider: crossing oceans probably means either a sailboat, a more sea-worthy powerboat with suitable tankage, or shipping your boat across commercially. But deciding instead to limit yourself to the east coast of North America and the nearby islands... for example... piece o' cake for a more modest powerboat. Even adding the east coast of Central and South America, for example, could be possible for that kind of boat.

That's a boatload of potential travel, and the occasional airplane to Europe or wherever could suffice for some.

Will you have to work during all this? If so, how do you imagine that fitting in?

-Chris

A quick tip on the budget: you'll almost certainly need a hefty amount of cash to fix the boat up. Look to buy something with 60-70% of your budget, keep the rest for upgrades and fixes. Are you handy? The going rate for boat service here in Boston is $90-an-hour; you can believe that adds up quick.

For sailboats, try looking for a monohull deck saloon. They are a little more open and have more windows than your standard cave-like monohull. I don't know if you'll be able to find anything for that price that can do big water, but it's worth a look.

If you are dreaming out loud, great. Enjoy the dream. If this is a troll, shame on you. If you are serious, you have started at the wrong point. You should start with a power squadron class.

WTF?

I never even heard about power squadron class before I bought my first large boat. You're kinda coming off as the troll here.

Back on topic.

Stick to the US, Islands and maybe mexico and you're on the right path with a trawler.

If you want to cross large bodies of water then i'd say you'll have to get a sailboat but with a coastal cruiser you can easily island hop further than you'd think.

@ that budget i'd look at a 36' Grand Banks or similar. With patience you'd be able to explore from chicago to the Virgin islands on the east side(island hopping vs direct) and all up the pac nw on the west(not too familiar with those waters). The Grand Banks is seaworthy with plenty of range but open ocean crossing trawlers are pretty exclusive.

As to a sailing. yes it's cheaper, the boats are more capable per linear foot(and cheaper) but it can be dangerous and solo sailing is more sport than adventure.

Another option would be to spend about 40k on a smaller cheaper coastal cruiser so you can "try" it out. I have a Mainship 34 that would be very comfortable alone, has great range, cheap to buy and run. 40k would buy an excellent 34' MK1. There's also the Marine trader, Albin, and many other models that can be had under 50k.This could be a great option because if you want to explore a new leg in Europe or really far away you can just sell it and purchase overseas.

Also you can stay on boats through Airbnb to compare living space(can't take it out though). I didn't do this and wish I had before buying my boat. Doesn't hurt that most places are cheap to boot.

Last edited:
WTF?

I never even heard about power squadron class before I bought my first large boat. You're kinda coming off as the troll here.

I find it irresponsible to suggest anything but more education to the OP. What educational service would you suggest for some one who started off with a desire to cross oceans with no boating experience.

Why the need to insult me? I merely pointed out the difficulty of taking the question seriously.

?..You can piggyback your boat on a ship for crossing oceans...

:thumb: We met a couple while we were in Mexico that cruised on ~40’ fast power boat (don’t remember the make). They had cruised the Med, Australia and Mexico. They move the boat around as cargo on large ships. They’d being doing it for ~7 years. Something to consider.

GK, some more thoughts about how to think abut moving your concept forward...

Imagine living on a boat in Denver's climate... on Lake Dillon or some such. Several winter issues to solve. Now imagine living on the same boat in Miami. Climate matters... so you'll want to think about how that impacts where you want to be at any given time.

Imagine you're happy as a clam on your boat in Miami... but you decide you want to try Charleston for a while. Good idea, nice place... but that means you have to get the boat from A to B (or M to C, in this example). That implies you hire a captain...or you do it yourself. Latter can be easy, but that means you'll need to know navigation stuff, how to read charts, follow nav aids on the water, and so forth... so you don't bounce your hull off the bottom... too many times, at least.

Did that? Good, now were approaching Charleston at you're at the helm. Gotta tie that boat up... so you'll need to be at the helm, jockeying the boat with engines and gears... and you'll need to be on deck, having a great time getting lines on cleats or piles or whatever. All at (almost) the same time. Which means maybe you hope for help from a dock hand (there's a whole 'nother story in sometimes useless) or a crew member. (Got a potential crew member?) Or do it yourself, not impossible, but a learning curve.

Now speaking about learning curves... let's say you get a leak in your onboard freshwater system. Not to worry, call a guy. At about $100/hour. Or assuming the checkbook isn't limitless... do it yourself; maybe not even all that hard, but it means you might need to learn some basic plumbing skills.

Fixed that, now you notice the freshwater pump doesn't. Another plumbing problem? Maybe, or maybe not. Might be electrical. OK, so now you need to learn some basic electricity skills.

And to extend that... engine skills, and HVAC (air conditioning. heat, etc.) skills, maybe eventually some fiberglass skills if you hose up the "dock by yourself" thing too many times...

IOW, you'll have to learn a whole bunch of boating-related and maintenance stuff...

AND NONE OF THAT LEARNING IS INSURMOUNTABLE. Some isn't even all that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

I truly do not mean this to sound discouraging. Just hoping to make you aware there's more to boating than just buying a boat and mixing mint juleps (or more appropriately in the boating community, rums and somethings. :)

-Chris

I find it irresponsible to suggest anything but more education to the OP. What educational service would you suggest for some one who started off with a desire to cross oceans with no boating experience.

Why the need to insult me? I merely pointed out the difficulty of taking the question seriously.

Quite inviting. :rolleyes:

In the span of three days, we drove to Florida, got a survey done, closed on our first boat (42 grand banks), learned how to service the engines, and departed on a month-long trip from Fort Myers to Boston. We hired a captain for the first day; they taught us how to operate a boat as we crossed the Okeechobee.

There's no reason this question can't be taken seriously.

In the span of three days, we drove to Florida, got a survey done, closed on our first boat (42 grand banks), learned how to service the engines, and departed on a month-long trip from Fort Myers to Boston. We hired a captain for the first day; they taught us how to operate a boat as we crossed the Okeechobee.

There's no reason this question can't be taken seriously.

With ZERO boating experience?

I have said this many times. There is always the dream. And then there's that crazy thing called reality. The closer those two are together, the more successful you will be at attaining your dream!!!

As I type I have come up with a comparison. I am an airline pilot. It was always a "dream" of mine since I was a little kid. You don't just "Decide" to be an airline pilot. There are significant hoops to go through that take years to gain experience. And in the end, do you know what deteremines success or failure???? PASSION!!!! PASSION for the DREAM!!! You need to find out if you have that passion. It is not just "I think I am gonna buy a boat and go live other places". The only way your dream survives is if you have the passion. The very vast majority of people that are answering your questions have that passion. They have just taken it for granted and hence, not mentioned it. But what they are trying to do is explain their passion(emotion) in steps(logic)!!!

Anyway, do you have the passion or is it just a whim?? ANd if you don't know the answer to that question, you need to find out!!! How do you find out??? Go hang around boats. If you feel the "hook", then take it from there. Boating is a lifestyle. An excellent one in my opinion. But it is not for everyone.
GOOD LUCK!!! And if you get hooked, well then have a blast!!!

Last edited:
With ZERO boating experience?

I'm from central Wisconsin originally. I did drive my dad's duck boat a couple times - old aluminum flat-bottom job. That thing was a lot of fun.

"But I need to be able to get it across the ocean(s) at some point; which may be years in between crossings."

Ocean transit is the problem. Few trawlers are built to the scantlings (strong enough structure ) or with the fuel carrying capacity for a sea voyage.

It is REALLY expensive ( about 300% more) to purchase a sea going trawler , and then 99% of the time you are stuck with the smaller interior, storage for fuel and provisions take up room.

No problem after the boat is 55-65 ft , but that a lot to pay for dockage for and just to keep clean.

My suggestion is to cruise in the USA , and visit the Carib as well as Canada , then sell the boat in the USA as it would be very expensive to modify a USA boat to Euro electric , possible yes , cheap no.

"Paint sells the Boat" so with good upkeep you should do fine on the round trip, what you purchased for and sell for.
A 20-40 year old boat is valued on condition, not age.

Good hunting,start reading lots!!

WTF?

Back on topic.
I am disappointed that Mrwesson has chosen to undercut USPS and Tilrider. I get it that USPS is not widely recognized or appreciated outside the boating community.

Tiltriders suggestion concerning US(/Canadian) Power Squadron classes was an excellent one and I second it.

Many people either have not heard about USPS or their only experience was a basic boating course to be certified in one of the states (or provinces in Canada). USPS is becoming known as Americas Boating Club... ABC. They are now producing videos available online at Americas Boating Channel.
The ABC classes are the best free boat training you will find... instructors are volunteers... you pay for texts and materials. Many of the classes / local chapters now offer on-the-water segments of their classes where you apply skills covered in classrooms or reading.
The other (possibly greater) benefit is you will meet a whole new group of people that share your interests and desires... and can connect w someone that may need an assist or crew from timing to time. Don't think of it as a class but more a pathway to getting immersed in the lifestyle you dream of... and a rather inexpensive intro that can add knowledge, skills, confidence and build your boating network.

Do a little searching online and you will see the extent of the seminars and classes available. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

I think we've lost the OP.

Wifey B: Come back Glitter Kitten. Oh I do love her name. I like glitter. Could be she was distracted by some shiny objects somewhere. It happens to those of us who like glitter. :rofl:

"I think we've lost the OP."

No problem , there are loads of folks with a similar dream or question that get served by the various opinions.

I appreciate the dream! I am also looking for a starter boat that I can liveaboard part time. I am focused on the sea of cortez in mexico. I understand the whole sea of cortez is like a sheltered aquarium and is more the size of a Great Lake with fewer hurricanes and still a great adventure especially for a beginner.
I have been on this forum, read books, looked at a few boats and have a much better idea of what I am looking for.

So far I have found, For me, my minimum requirements are, a single engine diesel that has been rebuilt or well maintained (cat,Ford, beta,yanmar) at least one head, NO screw on teak decks, a generator, air conditioner, solar (can be added) , set up for shore power, look for window rot, deck soft spots, and 32 to 42 foot...if it has bow thrusters as a great plus! ....I am still trying to decide what I need for electronics.....This forum, talking to various brokers and some owners have been a great help....my goals are for adventure and to winter from Scottsdale to Cabo,mazatlan, or la Paz Mexico. I also am solo so I have many more options.

I agree to cross open ocean is a different type of adventure that does not interest me that much. If it is you dream, get experience and go for it!! at here is a lot of wisdom and experience on this forum....

I am disappointed that Mrwesson has chosen to undercut USPS and Tilrider. I get it that USPS is not widely recognized or appreciated outside the boating community.

Tiltriders suggestion concerning US(/Canadian) Power Squadron classes was an excellent one and I second it.

Many people either have not heard about USPS or their only experience was a basic boating course to be certified in one of the states (or provinces in Canada). USPS is becoming known as Americas Boating Club... ABC. They are now producing videos available online at Americas Boating Channel.
The ABC classes are the best free boat training you will find... instructors are volunteers... you pay for texts and materials. Many of the classes / local chapters now offer on-the-water segments of their classes where you apply skills covered in classrooms or reading.
The other (possibly greater) benefit is you will meet a whole new group of people that share your interests and desires... and can connect w someone that may need an assist or crew from timing to time. Don't think of it as a class but more a pathway to getting immersed in the lifestyle you dream of... and a rather inexpensive intro that can add knowledge, skills, confidence and build your boating network.

Do a little searching online and you will see the extent of the seminars and classes available. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

It was a good recommendation and if I undercut it then sorry.

Calling someone a troll or shaming them for asking for advice kind of sets the wrong tone IMO. Could just be a simple misunderstanding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom