The scale of our boats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
download.spark
When you think about or see the actual enormity of our boats it's a lot easier to understand their costs and relative value. I snapped this shot of mine on the hard yesterday and was overwhelmed by her size in relation to my car!

-- Edited by Daddyo on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 03:53:19 PM

Daddyo wrote:When you think about or see the actual enormity of our boats it's a lot easier to understand their costs and relative value. I snapped this shot of mine on the hard yesterday and was overwhelmed by her size in relation to my car!
*You just*need a bigger car.* Could I suggest a Bentley perhaps.
biggrin.gif

And what's that other powerboat in the background? Looks interesting.

Yes, I know what you mean,last month had mine out of the water for the first time and could hardly believe how big she really is. BB

Daddyo, I didn't know you drove a go-cart?? :)

Not the same scale but I realized our new boat was a bit bigger than our previous ones in this shot when we went through Decatur, AL the other week....all those little boats next to us makes our 45 look big I thought.

How is your 48 coming along? Sure is a pretty boat!

DSCF0696.JPG

I got the message the first time I towed my 23' sailboat behind my Ranger pickup.

The boat seemed enormous. Until I saw her sitting at her slip. She seemed small. And out on the Bay she seemed much smaller still, even tiny.

Ever seen a super tanker in mid ocean from about 10,000' altitude? Just a speck.

dwhatty wrote:
And what's that other powerboat in the background? Looks interesting.
*That is the 1926 127' Miss Ann. She is the third largest fantail yacht in the world. Looks great from a far but is in really rough shape.

Woodsong wrote:
Daddyo, I didn't know you drove a go-cart?? :)

How is your 48 coming along? Sure is a pretty boat!
*Love going slow in the big one, love going fast in the little one. Hey if I'm going to drive thousands of miles a month as a broker I may as well enjoy the ride:)

Thanks, the boats coming along. Redesigning the salon as I did on our last girl. Replacing a beautiful custom chair and ottoman with a built in sofa style bench. Adding a low wall behind the helm to hid the post stuff. Removing the 12.5KW genny and adding more batteries to the house bank (20 carts in all) Covering the helm and overhead console in black laminate. Adding radar and new sounder for our planned cruise to Maine and Canada this summer. Stripping the bottom and barrier coating.

-- Edited by Daddyo on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 09:31:36 AM

-- Edited by Daddyo on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 09:32:34 AM

Towing my Bertram 25 with my Jeep Grand Cherokee - through the streets of Boston. THAT was eye opening for me...

Attachments

• img00229-20110513-1542.jpg
    img00229-20110513-1542.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 83
I'm not sure my tow vehicle is properly rated?
download.spark

-- Edited by Daddyo on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 03:52:47 PM

There is scale, but then again there is perspective!
crying.gif

7tiger7 wrote:
Towing my Bertram 25 with my Jeep Grand Cherokee - through the streets of Boston. THAT was eye opening for me...
*I tried towing the Sea Ray with my Jeep Grand Cherokee.* It ended up towing the Jeep.* The Suburban works better.

download.spark

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 11:34:14 PM

HMS PERSPECTIVE* VS. SINBAD

download.spark

I would say for most of our boats, a comparison to a house would be more accurate than a comparison to a car.

I made a "goof" a couple years ago. There was a band (musicians) playing in a local VFW and I sat in several times with them and became friends with them. I was showing them pictures of my boat when I realized that my boat probably cost more than some of their homes.

As for "perspective", a year or so ago we decided to visit Savannah, GA and stay right on the river in the center of town.* I made reservations and when I approached, they told me to dock to the stern of the trawler already there.

Camano made about six boats like mine but larger before the company was sold.* We were docked behind one of them.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 07:33:30 AM

Attachments

• 10_13_10 073.jpg
    10_13_10 073.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 82
How come we always find the biggest boat in the marine to tie up with?

Here's my trawler dwarfed by "Neon Rainbow" which was country singer Alan Jackson's boat... though I think it'd been sold when this pic was taken

-- Edited by ARoss on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 07:59:17 AM

Attachments

• turtles 2009 014.jpg
    turtles 2009 014.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 100
Everything is relative.* My boat looks pretty spiffy in my marina.* When we're in Annapolis ... not so much.*
biggrin.gif

Our first cruiser:

download.spark

No, not the big one.

"Oh Lord, thy sea is so great and my boat so small"

(sign in Pelican, a small fishing village in Southeast Alaska)

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
Everything is relative.* My boat looks pretty spiffy in my marina.* When we're in Annapolis ... not so much.*
biggrin.gif
*Lurker, your boat and Al's look just great. *It's really about who is getting the enjoyment out of life. *For the most part you can do what the larger boats do-------just on a somewhat limited scale. *Remember when you are in Charleston, Savannah, Ft. Lauderdale, or Annapolis you are enjoying the same views and ambience that they are. *Plus you get the satisfaction and challenge of being the captain of your own domain. *That is one thing that makes boating so great. *We are all on a somewhat equal footing. *I have seen people on a 21' center console sleeping under a dodger in the bow. *They were having the time of their lives. *I have cruised my 25' cuddy cabin Blackfin and gotten every bit as much enjoyment as on a larger boat. *Perspective is about more than just the size of the boat.

Moonstruck wrote:
*I have seen people on a 21' center console sleeping under a dodger in the bow. *They were having the time of their lives. *I have cruised my 25' cuddy cabin Blackfin and gotten every bit as much enjoyment as on a larger boat. *Perspective is about more than just the size of the boat.
*I've found that to be so true, Don. *One day, among the glorious boats that appear in the cove at our dock, I saw this guy cruise in with his old paint. *I watched him from my boat deck as he enthusiastically moved about his deck, and then appeared from his cabin with some kind of pillow, threw it back against something as if he had done it a zillion times, and swigged back on a beer while the sun set. *I don't think I've ever seen a guy enjoy a sunset as much as he did that day. *Meanwhile, I retired to my gennie space where I was suffering with water system projects.

Attachments

• precious sail.jpg
    precious sail.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 83
Don:

You are right on.* Every time I see a boat I want and might even be able to afford I have to take a deep breath and ask myself, "How much more use & enjoyment will I get out of this big, new expense?"* When I'm anchored and sit in the cockpit with my feet up and a drink in my hand .... how much better is that going to be with a newer, bigger boat?* Not much.

Perspective?* I need to keep some.

- BL

I like knowing that the people with those big boats probably spend more during a haulout than I did on my boat's purchase!

Moonstruck wrote:I have seen people on a 21' center console sleeping under a dodger in the bow. *They were having the time of their lives.
*Very true.* We used to "cruise" the San Juans in our 17' Arima, sleeping in the cuddy cabin (with the dog) and cooking on a Coleman stove set up on the dock beside us.

I'm not going to say it was more fun than what we do today with the GB, but it was just as fun at the time.* And the Arima was a hell of lot less cost, effort, and worry than the Grand Banks is.

We wouldn't want to go back to doing this in the Arima although we would if we had no other choice. But having done it ourselves, we can appreciate the enjoyment we see people getting today out of their "pocket cruisers."* And we definitely don't feel sorry for them even when it's raining because we know they are having an adventure they will* keep with them the rest of their lives.

We have met--- and I bet a lot of you have too--- more people than we can count who at the time owned big boats--- GB46s, big deFevers, Flemings, even a Nordhavn.* And in almost every case they eventually talk about their "first" boat, perhaps a little GB32 or a 26' Nordic Tug or whatever, and they invariably say that it was their favorite boat.* That they had their best times on that little "first boat."

They didn't say they were going to give up their big boat and go back to the little one, but they all seemed to be much fonder of their "first boat" experiences than their "current boat" experiences.

Probably some physchological reason for this but it seems pretty consistent in our observation.

Attachments

• telegraph11.jpg
    telegraph11.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 76
On the other end of the scale - a guy I met in diesel class has a MT similar to mine.* We've kept in contact and he's now trying to sell his boat. I'd take it in a heartbeat if I had any hope of unloading mine.

The 34' was too close to camping for him and the SO.

The Fleming 55' is what they want (who doesn't?) but I don't know if one of those is in the cards just yet.

We like our IG 32, it is a very "big" small boat and feels like home.

I often dream of bigger boats but the reality is our 32 satisfies our desire to spend time on the water, without any big boat expenses.

John and Miri.

YIKES!!

download.spark

JohnP wrote:
We like our IG 32, it is a very "big" small boat and feels like home.

I often dream of bigger boats but the reality is our 32 satisfies our desire to spend time on the water, without any big boat expenses.

John and Miri.
In total agreement with you there John. We enjoyed our 39 foot old boat very much but the "big" IG 32 satisfies us for our time of life, the waters upon which we boat, not to mention our pocketbook.

I am good friends with the person that purchased our first boat from us, a 19' Bayliner cuddy cabin.

He talks about his $20 gas bill for a day of salmon fishing, and about how little work he's had to do to that boat over the years.

Yes, that was a great little boat, but There's no way we're going back to a porta potty and freezing out butts off.
smile.gif

We realize that owning a large boat is more of a lifestyle commitment than anything else. We give up the opportunity to do other things and use the funds to enjoy our boating lifestyle. I'm good with that.

John P wrote:

"We like our IG 32, it is a very "big" small boat and feels like home."

dwhatty wrote:

"We enjoyed our 39 foot old boat very much but the "big" IG 32 satisfies us for our time of life, the waters upon which we boat, not to mention our pocketbook. "

I'm in my 6th year of owning my Halvorsen 32 and couldn't agree more with the above statements. Now, if I could only get my groove back, life would be great!

Attachments

• img_2107.jpg
    img_2107.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom