Replaced fuel tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if there is not an off the shelf solution to the fuel tank rot hassle.

On How Its Made was a program on the making of SS beer kegs.

Probably too small for boat uses as too many would have to be joined to get a reasonable capacity.

But many folks replace huge tanks with more modest units.

Are there any OTS 30-50 gallon SS tanks that might be useful to cruisers as a replacement , from some industry?

Last edited:
Off the shelf 58 gallon poly tanks were my answer. Still 300 mile range, inexpensive, no moving machinery to get them in or out, tripled engine room storage area and moved stuff away from engine and genny for better access to everything, no sight gauges needed as you can instantly see fuel level for max full and consumption, have a baffle molded in, easy self install, no corrosion worry..........

Off the shelf 58 gallon poly tanks were my answer. Still 300 mile range, inexpensive, no moving machinery to get them in or out, tripled engine room storage area and moved stuff away from engine and genny for better access to everything, no sight gauges needed as you can instantly see fuel level for max full and consumption, have a baffle molded in, easy self install, no corrosion worry..........
did you do any post on the replacement .do you have any pics ? i was thinking about 2 50's each side but i think one 58 each side might be enough (for me).the piping would sure be simpler . i would put them as far aft as possible. and i could probably put the battery in the leftover space and push the generator out a little to open up the engine room .

No pics, pretty simple.

Just built shelves out of 2 by ressure treated and exterior ply to sit up on the "ribs" the former tan sat on.

I'm in the process of installing new aluminum tanks (2 side by side on both port and starboard sides). When I went to find appropriate fuel hose for a connection I was not able to find 1 1/4 inch hose that would be adequate for full time diesel contact. I purchased stainless steel union joints to make the connection but I'm not sure that's the right way to make a connection. What type of fuel lines were used between the tanks. I don't see why that wouldn't be suitable in my situation.

Please post the testers info. I have a 36 GB, and I know they are in great shape, but...I might sleep better

I'm in the process of installing new aluminum tanks (2 side by side on both port and starboard sides). When I went to find appropriate fuel hose for a connection I was not able to find 1 1/4 inch hose that would be adequate for full time diesel contact. I purchased stainless steel union joints to make the connection but I'm not sure that's the right way to make a connection. What type of fuel lines were used between the tanks. I don't see why that wouldn't be suitable in my situation.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/trident-marine-series-321-ocean-flex-hose-321-1146

Thanks for that

Thanks for that suggestion. I've actually searched high and low and had decided to connect them with smaller diameter hose but this might fit what I needed perfectly.

Thanks for that suggestion. I've actually searched high and low and had decided to connect them with smaller diameter hose but this might fit what I needed perfectly.
Are there any tanks that have an inner fuel bladder that holds the fuel, inside a tank-like box that supports it, so that as fuel is used, no moist air is introduced into the bladder to condense and cause problems?

Condensation may or may not be a problem , but ANY water in the fuel hassles are solved with a proper sump that can be easily bailed.

For most boats I think a retro fit with plastic tanks , small enough not to need internal baffles , and a 24 hour day tank of metal with a sump would solve most problems , especially if mounted high enough to gravity feed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom