Are Selenes a Good Value?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pontooner

Vessel Make
Manitou Aurora 23 (Tritoon)
I'm a long-term planner, so please humor me.

Selenes seem like a great value. Why are they so much better-priced than, say, Kadey Krogen?

To the uninitiated, both seem like very nice pilothouse full-displacement heavy trawlers with small-ish sized single diesels.

I like them both, by the way.

Not sure what your basing your price point on. Price listed and price sold can often be significantly different. If you compare well maintained boats (very important) of the same age with comparable installed equipment, you’ll find those boats are sold at fairly close price points. And there are always exceptions. Speaking from experience, if you priced a 2000 47 ft Selene to a 2010 49 ft Selene, a hugh price difference, for what appears to be 2 foot differance.
Much the same can be said for other brands.
I may be a bit biased, but we have enjoyed our Selene and met so many Selene owners over the years that feel the same. As “cruisers” we have met Owners of all makes and brands who are seldom negative regarding the manufacture of there boat.
Cheers

If I was to buy another boat my first choice would be another Selene. They are great boats

Define "Value"

How’s this:

Minimal initial work/money to bring a newly purchased boat “up to snuff” combined with how little effort/money it will require into the future.

How’s this:

Minimal initial work/money to bring a newly purchased boat “up to snuff” combined with how little effort/money it will require into the future.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder. It's the ultimate in subjectivity.

Each of us is unique in our means and in our abilities. A 40 year old, easy to maintain boat would be a MUCH better value to someone like me but not so much to the typical Selene owner. People of different means and ability/willingness for DIY maintenance look at value differently.

If you can afford to have others maintain the boat, then the meaning of value changes significantly.

I have priced out and worked with dealers for both new build Selenes and KK. Not a lot of difference in $$ when apples to apples. Pontooner, do you have a couple of models in mind that you have personally been on and examined in some detail for comparison purposes or just internet looking?

I was on board KK 52 hull#1 at a boat show in Seattle, and was very tempted. Price then was 1.2. Jaw dropped. Really good value. But I was beyond the point of no return in refitting my OA Mk1 and was not in a position to proceed.

The introductory pricing did not last long. I was talking to the KK guy at an Australian boat show a year and a half later, on one of their 48's, and was told the price for the 52 was now 1.8. Value? I don't know. But the 52 was miles ahead of the 48 which I really would not be very interested in. By now there are some 52's available used. Similar sized Selene's would tick most of my boxes as well, although its the Selene 58 that I would really go for. Used, 3-5 years old would be perfect. :)

Are there particular Selene models or years that anyone has first hand knowledge of significant problems? I had read posts a few years ago and am curious if that had to do with early years. On walk through them seem high quality. I like the layout better than say a KK or Nordhavn of similar size.

Selene a better value?

I own a '04 53' and had been looking at Nords, KK, Fleming, etc. These high end boats are all extremely fine vessels. When the new boat sales dollars are reported it appears KK does get a longer dollar. I'm not a new boat buyer however so those prices don't affect me. The used market for KK's does seem to be at a higher price point but it's always dependent on the market conditions at the time. Whichever you buy you'll not regret as long as you keep the brand at the high end. ☺

Back
Top Bottom