2000 Mainship 390 hatch gaskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjones570

Vessel Name
Southern Latitude
Vessel Make
390 Mainship
Does anyone know which gasket fits in the channel in the hatch lids? I have a 2000 Mainship 390. All three hatch covers have solid smoked plexiglass hatches. There is a channel in the plexiglass where the gasket fits into.
Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I have the same hatch lids on my 2003 390. The gaskets, which I believe to be original, is simply round crossection "O" ring material cemented to the plexiglass. The material is quite pliable, and reminds me of screen door "spline". If memory serves correctly (the boat's shrink-wrapped right now), its about 1\4 - 5\16" dia. None of it has ever come adrift in the 11 years we've had the boat, a testament to the attachment method! The channel is very shallow on our lids, looks like just a guide to placement of the gasket.

They may be Bomar hatches, and if so, Bomar/Pompanette can get you what you need. You might be able to match profile/specs by comparing to pics on their website. I've found their customer service people helpful by phone.

-Chris

Mainship’s own??

I don’t recall seeing any identification at all on these lids.....my belief is Mainship went their own way here. They’re just a plexiglass panel, two hinges and two draw-down handles. No frame of any kind.

If you can't find the specific manufacturer's model, you can get a more general gasket.

We've done a lot of custom windows and use Trim-Lok gaskets which are the EPDM foam rubber - the same stuff on your car door. It's very UV resistant, and quite soft so compresses well. I'm guessing your application uses the D-shaped bulb - you can buy it on Amazon.

They have two adhesives, a BT and an HT. The BT is a 3M product that creates a moisture barrier and it is ridiculously strong - probably last for a decade. The gasket comes in a single long strand, so if you're doing a hatch or a window, you'll cut it to length, apply it, and have the two free ends come together (preferably where there is the least chance of water intrusion, on the top side of the window for example). Cyanoacrylate superglue is the best adhesive to attach the two free ends together to create a continuous gasket. Works best if you also buy the primer for the glue.

Here's an example of it in action on a beautiful day like today.

The gray is the spacer between the panes on the double pane window. The black is the 3/8 D-shaped bulb gasket from trim-lok.

Attachments

• gasket.JPG
    gasket.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 33
Westiculo

It looks like you leave your boat uncovered in the water during the winter.If so how long have you been doing this and have you had any trouble doing it .Tom

It looks like you leave your boat uncovered in the water during the winter.If so how long have you been doing this and have you had any trouble doing it .Tom

No trouble. This is our second winter. We are partially wrapped right now - the flybridge and aft deck are wrapped but not past the windows. I work from home a lot and don't like being in a plastic bag. We've done a lot of work on the boat. Also we'll take it out in the harbor during the winter once in a while - it's peaceful. We shovel the side decks right away so that snow doesn't sit on them. We put in custom double-pane windows and insulated all the ceilings and 70% of the walls. Diesel heater keeps it toasty.

Back
Top Bottom