Handheld Thermal Imaging Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwestman

Vessel Name
Excellent Adventure
Vessel Make
1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
I am looking at handheld thermal imaging cameras as a way to check levels in tanks without putting more hols in the top.

Has anyone tried this and did it work?

Does anyone have a suggestion on a inexpensive one (cheap) that works reasonably well. Would like a stand alone but not totally against one that runs through my phone if it works.

Thanks

Try a heat lazer

I've done this with the Flir One attached to my iPhone. Works pretty well, a bit dependent on weather. In long term steady temperature, there is no difference between the liquid inside and the tank sides. Usually the temp is rising or falling enough to make it work.

There are sensors that can be mounted on the tank top or sides that use some kind of sonar to measure levels.

can you just use a dipstick from the filler pipe ?? It not as fun as a thermal camera, but might be more reliable and certainly less expensive

Benthic2 the main tank I am trying to check is the holding tank, so no, no dipstick. I have a SCAD that was installed by the previous owner that has never worked right, thus I do not trust it.

Worst case I will install a fitting in the top of the tank that I can remove and use a dipstick but that is really low on my favorite projects.

FLIR TG165 $350 C at Canadian Tire. I really like it, decent picture, auto ranges which is good and bad. Please note very well that it WILL NOT work on a SS or alum tank. They act like a mirror and if taken straight on, you can see the frustration on your smiling face in the screen. Watch close and you will see the temperature change in your face as it flushes with embarrassment.
Might (I don't know.) work on painted SS or alum tank.

A simple IR thermo gun may work just us good. Available for as cheap as $3.
I paid $20 for one and it works great for checking tank levels.

Not as fun as a $350 IR camera, but just as effective.

Trouble is I don't think you'll be guaranteed of enough temperature range difference to make a thermal camera the right option.

That said I've been very pleased with a little Seek Thermal widget I've had for my Android phones. I recently picked a USBC-microSD adapter to allow me to continue using it with my most recent phone upgrade.

https://www.thermal.com/compact-series.html

What kind of tank is it? Ours has a poly tank and you'd be surprised how well it works to shine a bright flashlight against the side. Lights up the level pretty clearly around the outside.

Tank sensors are on my 'to do' list.

As I said, I've done it and it works. A cheap IR gun also works, though a bit less precise. Both may have an emissivity problem on shiny metal, but this is easily dealt with by sticking some masking tape (on any tape) to the surface to be read.

The Flir One combines the optical camera in an overlay, which helps to calibrate position etc. It is a pretty useful gadget at times for lots of different things.

I have an older seek thermal. I can easily find plumbing and wiring, leaking roof, wet flooring so I would think so. I’ll have to try. Normally use the flashlight on the back of the tank truck. This would be easier!

Given where you'll be using it, I would recommend something with at least an IP54 rating. Any of the Flir E4, E5, E6 or E8 thermal cameras should do the trick.

But they are expensive, so if you are looking for something cheap, then either a Seek Compact or a Flir One, but be careful because they plug into the USB port from your phone and can easily break if you drop them. I'd go for the Seek Compact because you'll need a bit more resolution to check the level in your tanks.

I have tried expensive imaging cameras and IR guns for large industrial vessels. Results were disappointing. They were stainless or other high alloys so emissivity was a problem but I tried black paint without much improvement. The vapor space temperature is usually close to the liquid’s, not enough differential to see a level. Since you are measuring the surface temperature, tanks with poor thermal conductivity (plastic, fiberglass) results will be skewed to ambient temperatures.

Our boat had elaborate level gauges and alarm panel on our plastic holding tanks which were not very useful. When they failed I replaced them with a flashlight.

Last edited:
I am looking at handheld thermal imaging cameras as a way to check levels in tanks without putting more hols in the top.

Has anyone tried this and did it work?

Does anyone have a suggestion on a inexpensive one (cheap) that works reasonably well. Would like a stand alone but not totally against one that runs through my phone if it works.

Thanks

I bet it would. Years ago, I was walking down the crowded isles at a boat show and a vendor, who had noticed that I was drinking a beer out of a red solo cup, hollered out to me that I needed a refill, as I was below 25% full. Turns out he was demoing FLIRs, which easily showed that temperature differential. He made the sale -- and when I went to get another beer, I realized that the prior beer was the most expensive one I had ever had.

...a vendor, who had noticed that I was drinking a beer out of a red solo cup, hollered out to me that I needed a refill, as I was below 25% full. Turns out he was demoing FLIRs, which easily showed that temperature differential.

Sure, for a cold beverage like beer, or hot like coffee/tea, you'd very likely see the temp difference.

But for waste/water/fuel that are being stored at the same temp as the surrounding bilge... you're not likely to see much difference.

Sure, for a cold beverage like beer, or hot like coffee/tea, you'd very likely see the temp difference.

But for waste/water/fuel that are being stored at the same temp as the surrounding bilge... you're not likely to see much difference.

Good point. I tend to agree.

Thank you for the reference. It doesn't have to be a great unit to be usefull.
It just has to show a hot spot.
I looked at some I.R. cameras many years ago but they were well north of $1,000 and for my purposes out of line for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom