Window Latch for Sliding Aluminum Window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Transpac

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Odelay
Vessel Make
Transpac Eagle 32
Does anyone know where I might find a latch like this, for sliding aluminum windows on our 1986 Eagle 32? If not, any idea what they're called, or what we could use to replace them? (The photo uploaded sideways; imagine it turned 90 degrees clockwise.)

Attachments

• IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 45
Not sure I fully understand the latch. And finding a direct replacement. Not going to be my experience. And ..........

What is clear is the fasteners (screws) are mild steel and have rusted. The metal in the latch is a different metal which may make it interesting removing the screws. I assume both would be subject to moisture from condensation.

Not sure if plastic (Nylon) would be strong enough. If you think a certain plastic might work, look at window latching parts from the RV industry.

Or Amazon and Ebay may be possible places to look.

Non-rotated photos attached. The second photo shows the catch on one of the broken latches. Looking to the RV industry is a great tip, thank you. The search continues!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.23.30 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.23.30 AM.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.25.36 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.25.36 AM.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 38
Thanks the added pictures help. Especially the second one.

I looked a bit yesterday to find something in the RV sites that might match. Didn't come up with much.

Are there any markings on the pieces to indicate manufacturer? Or model type
Atwood makes a lot of hardware for marine and RV. Did some looking there.

My assumptions would be -
- this is on a boat not made in the US given the thread. So the hardware manufacture may not be in business or in the US.
- getting an alternative for one window and not matching the other windows drives me a little crazy. (My OCD kicks in) I would want the exact same thing or replace all of the latches. If replacing all I would want the replacement to appear as it fit and was made for the job. Not with exposed screw holes ......

I feel your pain. And such a small piece. With all of the boats damaged by named events, finding a wrecked boat may be a possibility. Not sure if there is a wrecking yard for boats.

We would definitely replace all the latches! It would make us crazy too, to have mismatched hardware. I'm guessing we'll have to find a different type of latch, which is fine, but trickier to figure out. Will probably start by prying one of the latches off and making the rounds to hardware stores and the local marine salvage place.

Thanks for your help!

Some that has zero to little reaction to the environment would be awesome as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom