Opinions wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PKPet

All my boats have had side decks running the full length of the boat on both the port and seaboard side. Does a full body salon as seen on some pilothouse models interfere with your ability to handle the ropes when coming into your slip?
Would an asymmetrical salon body be the answer? Do people find it easier to back into their slip with controls in the cockpit of their pilothouse or does it matter? Thanks

Greetings,
Mr PK. Welcome aboard. I/we much prefer walk around decks for the improved ability to handle lines. I have no problem with a narrower saloon.

No experience with cockpit controls but usually dock/maneuver from the fly bridge unless weather is bad. Better all around visibility from above BUT unable to see aft corners. Admiral is very good with directions.
We do NOT have a raised PH. It's on main level.

The answers to your questions are specific to the particular boats and their exact layout. How much control do you have when backing, how experienced (talented) are you, what are the sight lines, etc...? I can put my 60,000lb girl anywhere I want from either station with everyone onboard sound asleep. Art DeFever continues to make a lot of captains look good.

I have a 33' Nauset Bridgedeck. It is based on a Cape Dory 33 power yacht mold. Docking is made much easier with sidedecks and yes I back in using controls on the bridge. I like the pilothouse configuration but am a little Leary of no sidedecks while docking

Daddyo;744660 Art DeFever continues to make a lot of captains look good.[/QUOTE said:
And here I thought it was acquired skill! :facepalm: But, you are right, the 48s really back down nicely. Being heavy with a deep keel helps a lot too when the wind kicks up during docking.

Greetings,
Mr PK. Welcome aboard. I/we much prefer walk around decks for the improved ability to handle lines. I have no problem with a narrower saloon.

Ditto. Also, a hull-wide saloon can restrict the view to the rear, depending on the boat's configuration. A 360-degree level deck was among the top four criteria for selecting a boat.

I firmly believe weight is everything when docking. Stability means predictability. :socool: Ok I must admit I could do the same with my single screw, no thruster Marine Trader 36 sedan :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom