Hard Landing in Maui

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foster Nordic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lesser Light
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
Just returned from a quick air trip to Maui where I saw these two young men on the beach desperately trying to repair the hull of their badly damaged sailboat. Here you can see one of them holding a sheet of fiberglass up to a 6-foot gash in the hull at low tide. They taped the fiberglass sheets up and then used paintbrushes to apply resin. I hope they're not trying to re-cross the pacific with this patch?...

Attachments

• IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 164
Was that mat above the "crunch" a previous patch? It looks like it may have been in the water for some time.

The Islands recently had a big blow. The same one that worked its way to SoCal and then desert SW. We saw what was happening in a number of HI mooring fields a few weeks ago. Big waves and wind parted old mooring lines and a few boats beached. Can't say that is what happened here but all too common.

From what I recall from living there- where this is beached can’t be easily reached by a crane and they have to get her to a load out place. I’m not even sure haul out is available on that side of the island

Definitely not the best way to be assured of a quality repair.

Try a steel hull next time.

Back
Top Bottom