Ideal slip width for GB 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorGoneBad

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I just purchased a 1979 GB 32. It is still at the marina but I plan to keep it in a slip at the end of my dock. (perpendicular to the dock) This slip is sail a through slip that is currently 14 feet wide. I am considering having the outside pilings moved out a foot or two to make the approach a little easier but don't want to make the slip too wide. As I can make the slip as wide or as narrow as I want I would like to know the ideal width. I currently use TideMinders so I don't need to allow for tide changes. I have used TideMinders for ten years and have been very happy with them.

Attachments

• tideminders.jpg
    tideminders.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 328
Good question that I just asked a friend of mine who runs a marina on Chesapeake Bay. His opinion was 2' on either side of your boat is optimal when there is not a big issue with tides.

I trusted him so I'm moving mine to beam + 4'. We have minimal daily tidal range to account for.

Checked a couple of listings on Yachtworld that showed the GB32 has a beam of 11.5', so with the 14' width of your piles you have 2.5' total. That is tight, but doable, particularly since you use the TideMinders and can keep your dock lines fairly tight. But 4' total would be better.

David

We have floating docks and fingers between single boat slips... At 20 inches above the water which is where the dock typically is. Our slip is 13'9" the boat at the same height above the water is 13' 4"... Fortunately we are in a very protected area and we do watch the current when we return from a trip.... The boat doesn't move much in the slip. Tight slips are pretty common here a foot wider would be a luxury.

we're kind of in the same boat as Ka Sea ta. We have a boat house and have about 6" on either side. Its fine. Makes securing the boat a breeze. With the curtain closed, nothing moves unless I push things around. If open, the wind can move the boat a bit, but not enough to cause an issue.

If you can pull in going forward a narrow slip is no problem.

If you have to back in , weather conditions can make it a PIA !!!

Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try at 14 and move it out to 15 1/2 if it does not ride well. Great input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom