Is Your GPS Ready for the April 6th Week Rollover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
I just came across this posting on another forum today. I had not even heard about it before this! I just talked on the phone to Raymarine support, as my equipment is late 1990's early 2000 vintage (the boat is a 2002 model). The tech stated they were "testing and did not yet know the total impact and that they would be posting information on their website soon". :eek: I don't know about you, but isn't that a little bit late, especially since this isn't the first time (1999 was and not the Y2K thing but the GPS issue) this "rollover" has happened.

If you have older (older than just a few years old) MFD and GPS you might want to look into this with the manufacturer.
The post I found:
"Older satnavs and such devices won't be able to use America's Global Positioning System properly after April 6 unless they've been suitably updated or designed to handle a looming epoch rollover. GPS signals from satellites include a timestamp, needed in part to calculate one's location, that stores the week number using ten binary bits. That means the week number can have 210 or 1,024 integer values, counting from zero to 1,023 in this case. Every 1,024 weeks, or roughly every 20 years, the counter rolls over from 1,023 to zero. The first Saturday in April will mark the end of the 1,024th week, after which the counter will spill over from 1,023 to zero. The last time the week number overflowed like this was in 1999, nearly two decades on from the first epoch in January 1980. You can see where this is going. If devices in use today are not designed or patched to handle this latest rollover, they will revert to an earlier year after that 1,024th week in April, causing attempts to calculate position to potentially fail. System and navigation data could even be corrupted, we're warned."

https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/sites/d...n_GPS_2019.pdf

Just an FYI in case, like me, you had not heard about this.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I have newer Raymarine units.......

Whoa!! Thanks, firehoser (I guess). Guess I need to research my ancient (8 year old) Garmin radar/plotter in this context.

Talked to a local computer/marine electronics guy - I really don't know if he's a reliable source or not. He seems to think this is all about not having the correct day/date on files but not an issue with actual navigation usage.

The doc referenced by firehoser, above, indicates to me (a very lay reader) that there is a potential impact.

Can one of our TF gurus reduce this to English for the benefit of the great unwashed like me?

Just checked the Garmin marine site......They seem to think the rollover won't be a problem IF you have the latest software version loaded.

I recently downloaded the new SW version for my 7215 when troubleshooting a autopilot issue......Guess I better install it before April!

Just checked the Garmin marine site......They seem to think the rollover won't be a problem IF you have the latest software version loaded.

I recently downloaded the new SW version for my 7215 when troubleshooting a autopilot issue......Guess I better install it before April!

I guess for now, I will have to take a "wait and see" approach. For equipment of my vintage (16-17 years old) Raymarine does not even list it on their "legacy" components page..... therefore no updates even shown. I bought the boat in late 2016 and have no idea when the last update was done. Could be trouble????
Good thing I just bought a new laptop with (new) Coastal Explorer, a new AIS, and a new GPS puck (for the laptop)!:thumb:
However, I still hope the old "stuff" will work.
From what I read, and my "limited" understanding of it, this could be a problem for anyone actually out on a cruise when the rollover occurs and they are using equipment that is either not up to date or older equipment? Don't panic, I am not sure about that? Best advice, check with your equipment's manufacturer (at least their website) if you have any concerns.

Makes you wonder if all the other GPS receivers are going to have a problem. I have one of those little receivers plugged into my all in one computer for navigation. Will be interesting to see if that's affected.

Ted

After Garmin said “we will know when the problems start occurring” I then asked them if they would like me to post that on social media.

He then went and asked an engineer and they said that for model years after 1998 that there should be no issues as long as the firmware has been kept up to date.

They do have a service bulletin for their aeronautic equipment saying there are no known issues and why should operate correctly.

Now we wait ;-)

The non-technical translation is “something might happen on April 6th, but we don’t know”. Stand by, and be ready to drop the anchor :)

I think you're on to something TT.

My trusty GPS is a very old Garmin, maybe a 128. It is too old to have "firmware" so maybe will avoid the impact of the "rollover". I think it has a date, but I think the date is read from the satellite. Will watch for it to let out it's smoke when I fire it up after April 6.

This is the 2nd epoch so presumably any unit designed since 1999 wouldn't have a problem. I doubt any marine navigation unit would use timestamp info so I don't plan on throwing my older garmin or raymarine instruments overboard.

(not that I'd notice as I usually rely on ipad/navionics)

All you lose is the date. My old Furuno is dead accurate but it reminds me that it it thinks it is 1999. Annoying but somewhat nostalgic. If your GPS loses its mind, buy a new one. Less money than a pump...

According to Furuno, it’s March 17. Scratch head! Or is it scratch heading?

https://www.furuno.co.jp/en/news/notice/notice_category.html?itemid=753&dispmid=965

Thanks for that link Jim.

I have a Furuno GP 30, even older than the GP 31 they list. The date has been incorrect, and there is no way to change it. I had no idea why, I thought it should get the time and date from the satellites, but it did not bother me. Thanks to the link I now know why - obviously a 1999 date rollover hiccup. The Furuno reset process is a reboot. I turn it off when back at the dock, so it gets a 'cold start' before every trip. It works perfectly wrt position. ie same lat/long as the other GPS devices.

So your GPS may not need to know the date to work just fine. Being retired, more often than not I don't know the date either, and I continue to work just fine as well. :D

Last edited:
"I guess for a backup, I better put fresh batteries in my old RDF!
emoji16.png
"

Warm up the Loran , and dig out the old Consolan chart if you go offshore.

Should GPS worldwide go down , (an EMP would do it) paper charts and a recording depth sounder might be easy to live with for the next decade or so.

PPPPP

Attu was the last LORAN station - shutdown about 10 years ago, I believe. I wonder if there's an RDF on eBay.

Built a Heath kit for a radio directional finder in the sixties. Didn't find much use since our navigation was by line-of-sight as we were almost always day racing. But there it was.

The non-technical translation is “something might happen on April 6th, but we don’t know”. Stand by, and be ready to drop the anchor :)

Let's face it, Russia can disable GPS and I suspect the US can disable GPS too.

Raymarine GPS Rollover

This was just posted on Raymarine FAQs:

02-14-19, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 09:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.) Post: #1
Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Online
Administrator
2019 GPS Week Rollover
2019 GPS Week Rollover

The 2019 GPS Week Rollover would have a potential effect upon GPS receivers (including GPS sensors and GPS receivers embedded within MFDs, chartplotting products, AIS receivers, and VHF radios). Any features which are dependent upon date/time information (tide / current data, waypoint/route creation date, Time, Date, slow / no acquisition of GPS FIX, etc.) would potentially be affected by this feature. This feature is rooted in the make/model of GPS receiver which has either been constructed into the product or that the product has been interfaced and the GPS chipset used in it's manufacture. Accordingly, should one determine that the date/time information reported by the system is incorrect following the 2019 GPS Week Rollover event (April 6, 2019), then it may be necessary to either replace the system's GPS sensor, add an external GPS sensor to the system, or replace the GPS sensing device (should no software/firmware update be available to address the 2019 GPS Week Rollover event).

Raymarine is presently investigating this issue and will release updated information at a later date. At that time, this FAQ will be updated with the latest information on this subject. As of the date of this response, we are confident that each of the following products are unaffected:
- Axiom / Axiom Pro / Axiom XL MFDs
- a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs
- Raystar 130/150 GPS Sensors
- AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor
- AIS650/700 AIS Transceivers

Raymarine presently investigating potential impacts to other legacy Raystar GPS Sensors, legacy MFDs having internal GPS Sensors, chartplotting products having internal GPS sensors, legacy MFDs having internal GPS sensors (ex. A-Series Classic MFDs, C-Series Widescreen MFDs), and AIS transceivers. As additional information becomes available, this FAQ will be updated accordingly. Should a system's GPS receiver be affected, then most affected systems may be addressed by interfacing a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to the system.

From what I have been able to learn, some fairly recent chart plotters are going to have a problem unless they have updated software. Apparently, a GPS chip manufacturer did not account for the roll over and only recently was able to provide the chart plotter manufacturers with a solution.

To me, the big risk of not updating is having incorrect tide and current information that is based on the date/time provided by the GPS.

From what I have been able to learn, some fairly recent chart plotters are going to have a problem unless they have updated software. Apparently, a GPS chip manufacturer did not account for the roll over and only recently was able to provide the chart plotter manufacturers with a solution.

To me, the big risk of not updating is having incorrect tide and current information that is based on the date/time provided by the GPS.

hmmm. It takes "somewhat" accurate ephemeris data to even know what sats to look for. It takes "extremely" accurate derived GPS clocks to know distance from each sat. I'm not betting the GPS receiver is fine not knowing what day and year it is..

Seems to me best case is the GPS receiver will be slow to acquire on every power up cycle.

Last edited:
Just checked my Raymarine e series MFD. It took some time to get a fix but that's most likely because I'm in a covered slip in Alabama. Once I got the fix the time and date were correct. Hopefully this is much like the Y2K issue and not an issue at all. Hope y'all have the same luck!

It is now April 06, 2019. Time 1551
Are we lost yet?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom