Who uses DSC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Based on another thread regarding VHF radios, I thought I would start this discussion.

Do you use DSC?

I found it to be complicated. It is just easier to hail my buddy on Channel 16. Half the owner's manual is all about using DSC.

In Canada my DSC went off as someone was declaring a "mayday." Scare the liv'in crap out of me when it went off. Then I didn't know how to turn it off or delete the call. Had to break out the book for a hour to figure it all out.

It was a great idea but I agree, it is excessively complicated. Each manufacturer adopted a different wiring color code and terminology making it just about impossible for the average boater to get it connected.

I have DSC connected but if the floorboards are under water I'm pushing the EPIRB button.

I think the "push the red button" mayday call is great, and I like that the mayday reaches everyone around, and hopefully plots your position on their plotter. So as an emergency device, I think it's great.

But as a way to call other boats, forgetaboutit. Figure out their MMSI, code it into the VHF, call them, they ack and accept the call or reject it, then maybe talk. Unless you have one or two buddy boat's pre-programmed I just don't see it ever happening. In theory from an AIS display, you should be able to click on a boat and call them, but my understanding is that it almost never works, even with same-brand equipment. Though recently I have heard of it working more, so maybe there is progress. It just seems so much simpler and faster to hail a boat by name.

It's great when traveling in company with others. You pre-enter their mmsi numbers, you can speed dial them directly and when integrated with some plotter systems you can see everyone on your list who is in range.
You should as an exercise in good seamanship at least know how to track and respond to an alarm.

I do have both of my VHF radios connected to my MFDs too, so if I need the "red" button it flashes out my position first.

I'm with ASD. I may, someday, have a weekend to spend with nothing better to do than stick my nose in a manual while button pushing - but I doubt it. I guess I qualify as a DFC non-user.

I do have the red button figured out.

I've not ever used the selective calling features. Don't know anyone to call who also has DSC and/or knows their MMSI.

Could use it for calling vessels observed in AIS... but it's faster/easier at that point to hail by name.

-Chris

It's great when traveling in company with others. You pre-enter their mmsi numbers, you can speed dial them directly and when integrated with some plotter systems you can see everyone on your list who is in range.
You should as an exercise in good seamanship at least know how to track and respond to an alarm.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have your buddies and companion boats agree to dual-watch an agreed “pleasure” channel; 68, 69, 71 etc?

I use it frequently, both for hailing commercial vessels to coordinate crossings and to keep in touch with traveling companion boats. As to the later, especially when fishing, the "position request" and automatic position reply features are very helpful and way less trouble than manually communicating, and plotting, position information.

Similarly, I have started using AIS to send and receive text messages.

None of it is very complicated, at least not after the process is understood.

Could use it for calling vessels observed in AIS... but it's faster/easier at that point to hail by name.

-Chris

Not always faster. Once a "warship" was hailing a cruise ship by name. It took at least 10 minutes to get a response. the warship directed the cruise ship to change direction, which it did -- to a collision course with me. Rather than hailing the cruise ship by name, I used DSC and got an immediate reply. Very fast and easy.

I used DSC all the time when I was fishing, I didn't think it was all that difficult.

I wanted to test mine out, so I programmed in a buddy's MMSI, who kept his boat in the same marina. One day I saw him on board, and I knew he'd have the radio on, so I called him.

It was hilarious to watch him walking around his boat trying to figure out where that noise was coming from.

I think if the VHF, AIS and chartplotter are all networked, and the software allows you to just click or tap a vessel icon on the screen to call them, it would be a lot easier. I haven't used a system like that yet. It seems the manufacturers haven't settled on a standard yet, so it only works with a one-vendor electronics suite.

A friend on my dock had the same Icom 504 radios. I wanted to try out DSC. So we both sat there for a half hour to try to go through the motions of using it as intended. After lots of beeps and boops, my friend stuck his head out of his enclosure and asked if we could just go back to Ch 68.
I just got my FCC assigned MMSI. My S/H GX2200 already had a BoatUS issued MMSI programmed in. Check the manual and an MMSI can only be entered ONCE! Must be sent back to the factory service in California. So I call them up and explain that I'm leaving on a trip March 16 and I have to start forwarding the mail soon and need a fast turnaround. No problem if its only an MMSI reset she says. One day turnaround. Great. Ship it 2 day Priority Mail. Gets there on schedule. Today at 5:30 (Friday afternoon) I get an email confirming they got my radio and informed me their turnaround is 2 to 3 WEEKS! :banghead: Lots of bad words issued. I'm hoping this is a boiler plate form letter but too late to call.
This one or two time MMSI entry is BS.

I went through the whole elaborate thing, the programming, the FCC license, plowing through all that time and complexity three years ago. Tried to use it in LI Sound and New York Harbor, almost never got a response. Never used it since, but I put DSC in the same category as my boat's federal documentation - it's saltier, more seriously nautical to have everything properly configured. It's just for the sake of the cache' but if I actually want to talk to someone, you just call out on 16 and then jump to a different channel like normal people.

DSC is beyond my comprehension. :eek:

If in an area outside of cell range, if you DSC someone....I believe the radio has a missed call log type feature so you know if someone tried to contact you.

DSC has been great in Doha. A couple of times when my buddy and I both conveniently "forgot" to check in a the coast guard barge, we were hailed by them. It eliminated visits by aggressive coast guard and security vessels. That and AIS made enjoying the water there a bit more enjoyable.

Now if someone could just figure out how to cool the place off... 122 degrees was too much.

Not always faster. Once a "warship" was hailing a cruise ship by name. It took at least 10 minutes to get a response. the warship directed the cruise ship to change direction, which it did -- to a collision course with me. Rather than hailing the cruise ship by name, I used DSC and got an immediate reply. Very fast and easy.

Fair enough. I only meant "faster" for me, of course, not for response. IOW, faster than pressing the buttons to determine the target vessel's MMSI (name is already available on the plotter screen), going through the VHF menu to select the right call, and then entering an MMSI.

That said, I don't think I've ever had a commercial vessel here not answer a hail on Ch 13 immediately. Maybe just lucky...

-Chris

MY Traveler,

How do you send a text message by AIS?

MY Traveler,

How do you send a text message by AIS?

It may not be available on Class B, but my Class A has a menu option to send messages. Recently, I replaced (upgraded) my Furuno NN3DBB network (three boxes) to a two-PC system, each running TZPro, which has an interface to make sending texts very easy. The texts are traditional cell-service SMS texts -- instead it is AIS to AIS; Using it is as simple as clicking on the target AIS, selecting send message, typing the message, and pushing send. On the receiving side, the software gives an alert when the message comes in, and it saves the incoming (and outgoing) messages in a log.

I agree with several other folks. I think it is necessary for anyone with a GPS to enable more data be exchanged in the event you press the red emergency button. That seems to be a given.

However, I have used it a number of times when I have tried to get a hold of someone on 16 and been unable to. It definitely gets your attention on the receiving end when your radio starts warbling. I think that's worth having it...

Is it worth tossing out a perfectly functional good quality VHF radio to get DSC?

I have been looking at the offerings at the marine stores for a few years now, not for DSC, but for the AIS in some of the higher end radios. One of these days I might buy one on my birthday. I don't know if I would ever use the DSC, but I do use the AIS on my phone a lot, so if I had AIS on my VHF and could display it on the chart, I could inadertently acquire DSC.

OTOH, if I bought a stand alone AIS, I wouldn't get DSC, but I am not convinced DSC is worth tossing out my perfectly good Standard Horizon radio, with its attached RAM, that does everything a good VHF should do and was paid for many years ago.

Do you guys remember having to make calls through the marine operator? It seems so primitive and clunky now, but that's just the nature of technology moving forward.

Now we're spoiled by the instant availability of anyone via cell phone, and by the fact that any cell phone can call any other cell phone without issues, regardless of device make or network type. Unfortunately, the manufacturers of marine electronics haven't really come to an agreement about communication standards. They've given nods to it with NMEA "standards," but still have proprietary networking protocols.

DSC seems clunky because it's new to many and it's unnecessarily complicated. Some day it will be "click and call," but we're just not there yet.

Having said that, it really is a wonderful tool. For group trips, it's a great way to communicate with others, including the sending of group calls. For contacting my buddies that frequent local cruising grounds, my call is much more likely to be heard than a general call on 16. And when the emergency alarm goes off, it really gets everyone's attention. It's very comforting to know that everyone can hear it and that it conveys specific information about vessel identification and location.

It will get much more user friendly as the technology continues to evolve. Meanwhile, I urge others to be patient with it.

....DSC seems clunky because it's new to many and it's unnecessarily complicated. Some day it will be "click and call," but we're just not there yet.
Having said that, it really is a wonderful tool. For group trips, it's a great way to communicate with others, including the sending of group calls. For contacting my buddies that frequent local cruising grounds, my call is much more likely to be heard than a general call on 16. And when the emergency alarm goes off, it really gets everyone's attention. It's very comforting to know that everyone can hear it and that it conveys specific information about vessel identification and location....
Perhaps it`s different here. I understood the DSC red button located under a lift up cover to prevent accidental activation, was for emergency use only. Never had to use it, hope that continues. The idea of using it to catch up with friends in the area or as an attention getting substitute for Ch16 never occurred to me. I still expect, perhaps in error, activation will attract the attention of emergency rescue services, not unlike an Epirb, and the assistance of nearby vessels. Maybe that`s a misunderstanding.

A properly hooked up and used DSC radio is definitely worth the $100 they cost nowadays over a non DSC radio.

Just for the emergency function itself...

Emergencies tend to be chaotic and the simple push of a button to summon help to your location could be lifesaving.

For all the BS that people discuss here as being "safety"....this is one that I do agree with.

I'm with ASD. I may, someday, have a weekend to spend with nothing better to do than stick my nose in a manual while button pushing - but I doubt it. I guess I qualify as a DFC non-user.

I do have the red button figured out.

Yes, but with the false alarms, if I push that button, I doubt anyone will care.
I won't bother.

Even with the false alarms...if the USCG gets a properly formatted signal with MMSI and location...it will be investigated and as far as I know initiate a promted radio/phone call. It should be an abbreviated question/answer radio call because now they have the info on record.

If they persist with the radio checklist...I say ignore it...they have a declared emergency with MMSI plus location and will respond.

If you don't use preprogrammed distress types and send...a brief description and back to resolving your emergency rather than wasting time on the radio filling in unimportant details for the moment.

Last edited:
Is it worth tossing out a perfectly functional good quality VHF radio to get DSC?

IMO, yes.

But maybe only you can decide, for you.

Would it be useful to you in an emergency to be able to press the red button and immediately alert everybody and their brother within range to your plight -- and your location? (Assuming you've wired it with a GPS feed.)

-Chris

Perhaps it`s different here. I understood the DSC red button located under a lift up cover to prevent accidental activation, was for emergency use only. Never had to use it, hope that continues. The idea of using it to catch up with friends in the area or as an attention getting substitute for Ch16 never occurred to me. I still expect, perhaps in error, activation will attract the attention of emergency rescue services, not unlike an Epirb, and the assistance of nearby vessels. Maybe that`s a misunderstanding.

The red button is only for emergency activation.

The other DSC-related features (selective calling, position reporting, etc.) are not activated via that red button. )On ours, it's a menu system to get into other DSC-related functions.) IOW, the user never touches the red button (except for emergencies) to use non-emergency DSC features.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom