Helm Seat Swivel/Slider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I am in the process of buying a new helm seat.

I have a choice between the Springfield Mariner 2 swivel/slider and the Garelick Commander 2

Either one will be on a 4” post with a 12” base plate. Either one wil be height adjustable.

Both cost around the same. Does anybody have any experience with these?

BTW The seat I am buying is from a company called Llebroc at llebroc.com I’m getting the Bandera series 1 seat and having it done in the same material as my pilothouse upholstery Nauga soft Doeskin

Here is a link to the chair
Bandera Series 1 Helm Chair

Here is a link to a youtube of the Garelick swivel

Here is a link to the Springfield Marine site
Mariner II Slides

Yes I think we are looking at the exact same thing!

Cool!!!!

They are not cheap! I came close to buying Stidd package, but $4200 a chair was a bit too much.

Nice looking setup Kevin, hope it works out for ya!

They are not cheap! I came close to buying Stidd package, but $4200 a chair was a bit too much.

I agree...$4200 is a ton of money!

As it is the base is half the price at around a thousand.

Nice looking setup Kevin, hope it works out for ya!

Thanks!

I am very happy with Llebroc so far. They are answer their phone, answer emails, and are willing to do the seat in the exact material I have in the pilothouse.

must be the "seat season". I just ordered a new one from Bentley in Portland. The complicating factor on mine is that the length of the post is 30", which really complicates the process a bit. I'll know in a month or so how I like it.

Nice looking helm seat. The slider aspect might be useful. You could then mount so that you can comfortably stand at the helm, or when seated slide the seat forward to avoid stretching forward. My only other suggestion is be sure to get a footrest with it, it makes a big difference when spending long hours at the helm.

Last edited:
I’m bumping this thread. The “slider” mount on my LLebroc helm chair rattles around with some of the “plastic” (Teflon?) parts becoming brittle and failing. Rather than replace the whole helm chair, which is otherwise fine, Can I just replace the “plastic” parts is possible or do I need to replace this entire slider assembly? Also can a new slider be installed on the existing seat or do I need to replace the entire assembly? The pedestal post is 2 7/8”.

I will likely phone LLebroc on Tuesday, but wonder if anyone here has experience with this issue. Llebroc’s possible replacement:

https://www.llebroc.com/product-p/spr-3101521-l.htm

The photo is of the existing slide with the pen pointing to the failing plastic parts. Also the plastic sleeve has also failed.

IMG_2983.jpg

The helm chair in place:

Pilot House and Helm Chair.jpg

Good luck on finding parts. My experience with the Teflon sliders is once they start dragging it is hard to try and repair them so they slide again. If you cannot get parts, look here:

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/

I cant help with sources, but hoping someone chimes in with some. The cylindrical sleeve's on both my helm and flybridge seats need replacing.

My flybridge one slides, but if there was any plastic/teflon there it has long gone. I don't use the slide part very often, but it moves ok if you are not sitting on it at the time.

I would hope Lebroc can and will supply replacement parts.

Yes. I’ll be talking to them. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had experience with replacement of the “plastic” bits.

I guess the other question is if there is an advantage to moving up to the 4” post/pedestal. That’s a more expensive option: ~$100 for the 2 7/8” slider vs $1,000+ for the 4” option and the gas bits and bots, plus slider.

Last edited:
An update. It turned out that my helm seat was a Springfield Marine Company one, and my flybridge swivel & slider is from Todd Industries. After trying the usual Australian suppliers, many of whom stock Springfield, no-one was willing to special order the Seat Bushings (the plastic cylindrical sleeve's part description) for me. I see their point - they don't use a local wholesale importer, they import in bulk direct from the manufacturer just a few times a year. A special order item of a $15-$20 part doesn't make any sense for them.

I found one on eBay (USA) with expensive freight cost. Amazon (USA site) had both Springfield and Todd bushings. Joy! Amazon said my order qualified for free shipping (more joy), so I attempted to buy them. Only to get an error at the payment stage: "Amazon regrets that it cannot ship products from third party suppliers to Australia". Amazon's Australian site was typically useless in solving the problem also. Bezos might claim 'your margin is my opportunity', but in this case its 'Amazon's logistics failures are someone else's gain'. I ordered both bushings, and some other items, from Defender who had them in stock. They will arrive next Monday, 5 days after ordering. Yes, freight is not inexpensive, but when the items are basically 'unobtanium' locally that's the way it goes.

I am in the process of buying a new helm seat.

I have a choice between the Springfield Mariner 2 swivel/slider and the Garelick Commander 2

Either one will be on a 4” post with a 12” base plate. Either one wil be height adjustable.

Both cost around the same. Does anybody have any experience with these?

BTW The seat I am buying is from a company called Llebroc at llebroc.com I’m getting the Bandera series 1 seat and having it done in the same material as my pilothouse upholstery Nauga soft Doeskin

Here is a link to the chair
Bandera Series 1 Helm Chair

Here is a link to a youtube of the Garelick swivel

Here is a link to the Springfield Marine site
Mariner II Slides

I have the Lebroc Sierra Series 1 and it's a very comfortable chair but it doesn't have a bolster so I'm thinking about getting the series 2 chair with the bolster. After you add the footrest and the other options it doubles in price from $2k to $4k! And that's without the post and floor plate!

The chair that you're looking at is a beautiful chair and I know it will be very comfortable. Mine is.

Enjoy!

I have the Lebroc Sierra Series 1 and it's a very comfortable chair but it doesn't have a bolster so I'm thinking about getting the series 2 chair with the bolster. After you add the footrest and the other options it doubles in price from $2k to $4k! And that's without the post and floor plate!

The chair that you're looking at is a beautiful chair and I know it will be very comfortable. Mine is.

Enjoy!

Yes, I’ve had it in for almost a year now and love it. I went with the springfield swivel/slider on a 4” adjustable height tube and a footrest that folds down, and is bolted to the chair.

Back
Top Bottom