Decisions, decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without knowing much about them I have to say the Endurance line look as much like proper LRCs as a Fleming which will also go pretty fast. The Prestige on the other hand looks like a high speed Euro Yacht. Not a fan.

Another + for a Fleming.

The Prestige is not a long range cruiser. It doesn't sound like you are looking for a long range cruiser but more of a boat for entertaining which, is totally fine if that's what you want it for. If you want to do both you can't go wrong with a Flemming. Why did you sell the big Hampton? I thought the big Hamptons are pretty capable boats aren't they? If you want to go blue water cruising then you need a full displacement boat like a Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen, Selene or maybe even an Outer Reef.

I'm still learning and with what I've learned so far, if I was to start over, I'd get a Nordhavn 46. With the money that I saved I'd deck it out with new electronics, solor panels, more refrigeration, freezers a huge genset, water maker, separate washer and drier, etc.. I'd put a hydraulic lift off the transom to keep my tender close to the water so I don't have to go through the hassle of using a crane. I'd stay away from new and pretty. That's what I've learned from my newbe experience from cruising in the PNW.

Good Luck!

The Prestige is not a long range cruiser. It doesn't sound like you are looking for a long range cruiser but more of a boat for entertaining which, is totally fine if that's what you want it for. If you want to do both you can't go wrong with a Flemming. Why did you sell the big Hampton? I thought the big Hamptons are pretty capable boats aren't they? If you want to go blue water cruising then you need a full displacement boat like a Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen, Selene or maybe even an Outer Reef.

I'm still learning and with what I've learned so far, if I was to start over, I'd get a Nordhavn 46. With the money that I saved I'd deck it out with new electronics, solor panels, more refrigeration, freezers a huge genset, water maker, separate washer and drier, etc.. I'd put a hydraulic lift off the transom to keep my tender close to the water so I don't have to go through the hassle of using a crane. I'd stay away from new and pretty. That's what I've learned from my newbe experience from cruising in the PNW.

Good Luck!

One comment from someone who has a boat with a hydraulic platform - it's not the best solution in heavy seas. Depending on how low the transom sits when underway it can even be a liability. We are in the final stages of purchasing a Beneteau Swift Trawler after owning a Sundance for the past 3 years. We've had multiple issues when we were taking waves on the beam which loosened the straps holding the dinghy which then created a dangerous situation when the dinghy started filling with water (even with the drain plug removed).

For coastal cruising, I think it's much better to have your dinghy away from the transom.

This will be our first boat with a crane so it will be interesting to see how we like it!

One comment from someone who has a boat with a hydraulic platform - it's not the best solution in heavy seas. Depending on how low the transom sits when underway it can even be a liability. We are in the final stages of purchasing a Beneteau Swift Trawler after owning a Sundance for the past 3 years. We've had multiple issues when we were taking waves on the beam which loosened the straps holding the dinghy which then created a dangerous situation when the dinghy started filling with water (even with the drain plug removed).

For coastal cruising, I think it's much better to have your dinghy away from the transom.

This will be our first boat with a crane so it will be interesting to see how we like it!

The only boat we've had with a hydraulic platform, it was a very large platform and it sat very high and out of the water. It worked well and we didn't encounter straps loosening although we kept a check on them. Also, due to the speed of the boat, taking waves on the beam wasn't often an issue.

That said, if the boat has space, I prefer a crane. For those who talk about the work in using one, I'd suggest spending time to refine the techniques and adjusting things to make it easier. To us, it's smooth.

Now, our preferred of all solutions is a garage. However that's not practical on most boats and on others you have to choose often garage vs. lazerette vs crew cabin.

Congratulations on your new Swift Trawler. I'm sure you will get much more enjoyment out of it.

I wasn't referring to a hydraulic swim step. I'd like to get the Sealift. It mounts to the hull and lifts a tender way above the swimstep. It might still be an issue in heavy seas - I don't know. But it gets old using a crane. At least it does for me at age 62.

Attachments

• Sealift.png
    Sealift.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I’d be looking at the Lazzara line at that price point.

If you look at a tender lift system off the stern, some of the systems don't keep the hydraulic cylinders out of the water, or even keeping them retracted for the majority of the time. Hydraulic cylinders are chromed and subject to corrosion. If you keep it retracted, the majority of the chrome piston rod is protected from rust and corrosion.
Once they rust or corrode, the seals are the first things to go, and that lets hydraulic oil out and water into the system. That can destroy the valves and pumps...

If you look at a tender lift system off the stern, some of the systems don't keep the hydraulic cylinders out of the water, or even keeping them retracted for the majority of the time. Hydraulic cylinders are chromed and subject to corrosion. If you keep it retracted, the majority of the chrome piston rod is protected from rust and corrosion.
Once they rust or corrode, the seals are the first things to go, and that lets hydraulic oil out and water into the system. That can destroy the valves and pumps...

Good to know. That's why I love this forum. Cruisers know their stuff!

Back
Top Bottom