View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
micheln
Veteran Member

City: gibsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
I just purchased the new Furuno FM-4800 VHF and have had it installed for a week or so. I also have an ICOM, SH GX2150 and B&G V50.

So far, I really like the FM-4800. Not only does it have it's own GPS and NMEA 2000, which still seem like upgrades with everyone else, but it doesn't require a massive hole to mount (looking at you ICOM) and appears well built.

The menus are very easy to use, and it scans my list of channels very well and doesn't stutter or do anything else irritating (looking at you B&G). The speaker is louder than any of the others I have, and it was super simple to configure things the way I wanted. I'm using its internal GPS for now, but it can fall back to a networked one.

After upgrading my TZT2's to v6.21 yesterday, I am also able to start a DSC call from the TZT2's just by clicking on an AIS contact, and it actually works without any configuration.

The screen is a bit simpler than I'd like, but it does the job. Plenty of room to display things, and infinitely adjustable.

I'm hoping to write up some more of my observations after a few more weeks of actual usage. So far, I do really like the unit, and it does everything I expected without fuss, feels well built, and looks good too.
Thanks for that. That's the vhs ive been considering, but no one has any on display, even at the boat show, so its nice to get an actual report from a user.
micheln is offline   Reply With Quote