Just thinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It probably would but it sure seemed to be doing a lot of pitching and roiling in those waves.

That is a work boat. Where do you sleep, cook, eat, S,S and S?

David

That is a work boat. Where do you sleep, cook, eat, S,S and S?

David

It has nice accommodations down below, full galley, stand up shower and sleeps four. Of course more cabin would be added unless you want to fish.

I love a big cockpit but that is likely overkill and a waste of space IMO.

Pictures never tell the true story. The waves look small, there is a swell running and the boat is doing some serious pitching. I have been around long enough to know you can’t judge sea state from pictures. I can’t say anything positive or negative based on the little I have seen.

What are you thinking with the cockpit?
Table Tennis!

I love a big cockpit but that is likely overkill and a waste of space IMO.

Actually I was assuming a conversion to pleasure trawler would be desirable however I neglected to say that, my mistake.

Could build a seriously spacious salon on her and still have a good sized cockpit for fishing...

Go for it...!!!

:)

It probably would but it sure seemed to be doing a lot of pitching and roiling in those waves.

Well as she draws 6' and has about ten feet of freeboard forward I'd say there's about an eight foot swell, either ground swell or a residual sea, can't tell without knowing the bottom. I'm sure most other boats might wiggle around a bit. At least it isn't a floating condo with picture windows all around and umbrellas and Tiki torches. Some day when I'm in the mood I'll explain what makes a good seaboat for those that like that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 57
I sure love those cats, but as is, she looks pretty heavy. Adding cabin weight could spoil the advantages of the design. A heavy cat is an unhappy boat.

Greetings,
Mr. 53. Bottom line is what do you want the boat to do? I think any commercial vessel can be used/converted for pleasure use. Any idea of the cost as she floats?

I sure love those cats, but as is, she looks pretty heavy. Adding cabin weight could spoil the advantages of the design. A heavy cat is an unhappy boat.

She's built to carry tons of fish plus all her fishing gear, heavy is her purpose in life.

Greetings,
Mr. 53. Bottom line is what do you want the boat to do? I think any commercial vessel can be used/converted for pleasure use. Any idea of the cost as she floats?

I think it's somewhere around 600,000 pounds sterling depending on how it's set up, it's built in the UK. I'm not big on flash and yacht type stuff, a work boat with a decent bunk, somewhere to fix a bite to eat and somewhere to shower is about all I need I'm not too fussy. I like a good seaboat though that can go through a little weather without making your butt pucker. I can't afford it so I'll just stick with my 26 foot boat which is all I need as it's just me and my dog.

Looks like a normal swell in the North Atlantic. I’ll take the weather and the boat.

Looks like a typical cat....rides like one too.

Just another compromise boat...looks nice...but at nearly $800,000 US.... there are a lot of boats out there to consider.

I still can't decide which way to go after a lot of miles living aboard and cruising.....open water, ICW, blue water, shallow water???? Bigger, smaller, sail, motorsail, power, twins or single, etc ,etc??????.....

The pilothouse is so far forward you might need a harness to stay in the helm seat, and that's a lot of glass perpendicular to whatever makes it over the bows.

Having said that, if you avoid 'gnarly weather' the boat has a fair bit of acreage topsides for repurposing proposals.

The pilothouse is so far forward you might need a harness to stay in the helm seat, and that's a lot of glass perpendicular to whatever makes it over the bows.

Having said that, if you avoid 'gnarly weather' the boat has a fair bit of acreage topsides for repurposing proposals.

I don't think I'd discount it as good seaboat especially in comparison to most pleasure trawlers I see. Not having been on it or one like it I don't actually know but I know where they fish and to make any money it has to be a good seaboat.

Last edited:
Recent posting of sale of an Endeavor 44 catamaran trawler. Could I get some details of that sale, final price and date of sale?? The post was 2/15/19 and gave specs for the boat but didn’t state the date of sale or price. I’m looking for one of these now
Thanks
Jack Hulse

I can hear the tunnel slap from my desk, no thanks.

I'm sure you can. What puzzles me is all those obviously successful fishermen, which would indicate many years on the water, spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy a boat like this that sucks as a seaboat. Why would they do that? This type of boat is seen all around Great Britain and Ireland, how could they be so stupid as to buy a poor seaboat that "slaps"? They probably wouldn't if they only had the solid opinion of someone that's never been aboard one and is currently sailing a desk.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the comments I already own a Leopard 38 sailing cat, very stable, no roll and very little slap. The prior post of the sale of the 2005 Endeavor 44 trawler cat was by JackS. Just trying to get a feel for the price range of this model.
Thanks
Jack Hulse

While I appreciate the comments I already own a Leopard 38 sailing cat, very stable, no roll and very little slap. The prior post of the sale of the 2005 Endeavor 44 trawler cat was by JackS. Just trying to get a feel for the price range of this model.
Thanks
Jack Hulse

It's a Maxus 12m cat built by G Smyth boats in the UK, I assume they'd be happy to provide the answers to your questions.

+1

It appears short of reserve buoyancy.

+1

It appears short of reserve buoyancy.

Yeah they do that frequently on boats made to carry heavy and varied loads. It's too bad those two hulls don't come together somewhere and widen out somehow.

I'm sure you can. What puzzles me is all those obviously successful fishermen, which would indicate many years on the water, spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy a boat like this that sucks as a seaboat. Why would they do that? This type of boat is seen all around Great Britain and Ireland, how could they be so stupid as to buy a poor seaboat that "slaps"? They probably wouldn't if they only had the solid opinion of someone that's never been aboard one and is currently sailing a desk.

Ok tough guy, what was said about seaworthiness? You started the thread "just wondering" about it as a recreation boat. Tunnel slap is annoying and most recreational guys will agree. And this desk gives me the means to buy the boat I want to buy so slide off your high horse "captain".

Ok tough guy, what was said about seaworthiness? You started the thread "just wondering" about it as a recreation boat. Tunnel slap is annoying and most recreational guys will agree. And this desk gives me the means to buy the boat I want to buy so slide off your high horse "captain".

Gee you don't know if it has tunnel slap and you don't know if I'm a "tough guy" yet you're comfortable making both pronouncements without a shred of evidence or first hand knowledge, must be some desk? You did guess right once though, I am a "captain".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom