Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
wkearney99
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
I love the DSM410 and now have a few around the boat, highly recommended. I’m even putting one on my new tender.
Our dinghy isn't fancy enough to have need for gauges. It's just an Avon 10' with a Yamaha 15 tiller on it.

Quote:
Could you put the display in the far starboard corner of the overhead? Once it’s on and you select a display you like there is little need to touch it again.
I prefer having the data the 410 will display down in my 'scan the needles' line of sight. The valance area to the right could probably accommodate it, at least looking at it from the front. I seem to recall the space right behind there though.. there might be some framing in the way.

Replacing the B&G H1000's will also rid me of some interface boxes for them and cabling behind the console. One less bus and conversions to deal with.

I'm planning on a Summer addition of an anchor rode counter. That'll probably go in the center or port valance area. That and the starboard valance has a Computank system which is, surprisingly, still relatively accurate for fuel and water levels. That's also on the upgrade horizon. Two (combined) stainless water tanks, one poly waste tank and two diesel tanks.

The convenient thing is my boat guy has worked on several of these Eastbay 47 models, and has a sister ship right outside (Little Cat, formerly out of Virginia Beach). We're each benefiting from the knowledge gained doing upgrades to the other.

I'm considering putting a DSM410 down in the engine room. If just so I can get a heads up on various bits of data if I'm down there for anything. This is all heading toward having phone/tablet-WiFi access so a display down there might not be 'that important'. Upside is there's N2K bus near any of the locations that'd use it so installing it would be trivially simple.