Edison Ford Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondalw1

Vessel Name
WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Make
Jefferson 42
We have two choices for slip space and actual live aboard now. One the Legacy Harbor and the other Edison Ford Marina. Legacy has no fuel dock where Edison does.

Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks
Ron

No experience with those places - no fuel dock you can probably live with, but do they have a pump out (they often go hand in hand)? Your boat can hold a lot more fuel then sewage, so pump out for a live aboard would be real important for me anyways.

Edison is at the edge of the Slow Speed zone. Check it for wakes. It also seems exposed. Been by it but never in it.
Legacy is in the slow speed zone and has a protective wall.

No experience with those places - no fuel dock you can probably live with, but do they have a pump out (they often go hand in hand)? Your boat can hold a lot more fuel then sewage, so pump out for a live aboard would be real important for me anyways.
We recently spent 5 weeks at Legacy Harbor. Very nice there and much closer to downtown than Edison Ford. If you choose EF you won't likely choose to walk downtown very often. Also, at Legacy Harbor you will have a choice of docking bow-in or stern-in whereas at EF virtually all berths are stern-in only in order to be able to get off the boat. Legacy Harbor also has pump-out carts to be used at your berth. If you care, LH has a pool and a hot tub. As for fuel availability, I don't see LH not having fuel as being a concern at all. Fuel is available at most other marinas on the Caloosahatchie. The Publix grocery is a five minute walk from LH, longer from EF.

Edison Ford does have a great happy hour at the restaraunt there.

Legacy has floating docks and is much more protected. Their rates are a few dollars a foot higher than Edison Ford. Much larger live-aboard community at Legacy.

I would also suggest the Ft. Myers Yacht Basin. We have spent two winters there and liked the proximity to downtown. Pump-out in the slip is nice. FMYB has a fuel dock. The negative is the fixed concrete docks.

Like most things boat - compromises.

Do you like Pinchers Crab Shack EF or Joe’s Crab Shack LH.
Downtown and centennial park have lots of activity ... nickel cab (free), should service any of the city side marinas

Do you like Pinchers Crab Shack EF or Joe’s Crab Shack LH.
Downtown and centennial park have lots of activity ... nickel cab (free), should service any of the city side marinas
We ate at both when we were there last month. Terrible meal at Joe's Crab Shack. Pincher's was far better, a nicer venue, and great happy hour prices.

The River District Trolley Blue Line runs Monday to Saturday around 11A-7P that runs near both for free. There are stops right in front of both Pinchers and Joes Crab Shack. Publixs is right in the middle between both, maybe 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
I've had my Grand Banks 42C at Legacy for over 3 years. Great place. Well protected (I think better than Edison Ford). The fuel dock at City Marina is a very short trip away. My boat is on C dock and there are a lot of liveaboards on that dock (though a number of them are out cruising right now). Very friendly. Nice tiki hut bar for beer and wine & sports on the weekends (if you're interested). Active social activities. Headed down there this Friday for couple of months.

How are these marinas for Hurricane season? Any close facility to drag out at that is protected?

Absolutely the best place to haul out for hurricane season is River Forest Yacht Center up the river towards Lake O. But it's pricy and I think you have to have a contract ahead of time. I don't know Edison Ford's hurricane policy, but Legacy will let you stay. Dockmaster Capt. Eric runs a pretty tight ship and you're supposed to have extra lines out, fenders, etc. during hurricane season. They send out a letter reminding folks of their responsibility. Letter also says Legacy has the right to go aboard and retie your boat, add lines, etc if there's an approaching hurricane and they don't think boat is tied off well enough.

I got stuck down there during Hurricane Irma and Capt. Eric and his crew did a phenomenal job of securing the place and checking out every boat in the marina. There was minimal damage. On the other hand, Irma took a last minute turn inland and marina didn't get near the wind and surge as first forecast. We were very lucky.

Marinas

I live on the other side of the river at Paradise Marina...great facility and as near to a hurricane hole and one can get...:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom