Island Gypsy 32 Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maineman

Veteran Member
Hello all,
I'm looking at a 2006 IG 32 with a Cummins QSB5.9-230HO. It's a lot of money for us to spend, but there seems to be a lot of positives going for it.

Any opinions on this boat?
On the engine?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Good engine, at 230 HP it should run forever.

The IG32 was originally designed by the excellent Australian designer Harvey Halvorsen (of the Halvorsen boating family),almost 40 years ago. This one is likely built by JiangHua in China, check the builders plate. There was one, 2005 I think, on our marina and I believe the owner was happy with it,until he went larger and sold to a TF member no longer posting,whose only complaint was accessing the bed in the bow cabin. I thought it was a very nice boat which held its appearance well. It had thrusters, bow and stern.

Others will know more about the engine but it should provide more than ample power for that boat. Earlier boats had either a single 120hp or 2 80hp twins. I recently inspected a different brand of boat with the same engine, generally highly regarded, where the raw water injection location into the exhaust had allowed water to stand and corrode out the turbo requiring replacement and exhaust modification.

You should have general and mechanical surveys carried out.

I recently inspected a different brand of boat with the same engine, generally highly regarded, where the raw water injection location into the exhaust had allowed water to stand and corrode out the turbo requiring replacement and exhaust modification.

That failure was a function of the installer/ boat builder. The stock exhaust elbow swivels on the turbo (as many manufacturers do). It's the responsibility of the boat manufacturer to make sure the swiveled angle doesn't exceed the limit for proper water drainage through the exhaust elbow.

Ted

That failure was a function of the installer/ boat builder. The stock exhaust elbow swivels on the turbo (as many manufacturers do). It's the responsibility of the boat manufacturer to make sure the swiveled angle doesn't exceed the limit for proper water drainage through the exhaust elbow.Ted
Agreed. That builder fits Cummins 230QSB as standard, they should have got it right.

Send us the listing. Its hard to give you any meaningful advice without it.

I have a 2006 IG 32 with the upgraded 330HP. Great boat, well built. Same yard that Selene's are built. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I have the original manual on the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom