Garmin inreach-which model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdstrum

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
DESTINY
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588 Extend Hull & Hard Top
We plan on heading into Mexico with group this fall, and they are requiring everyone to have a Garmin inreach for communication. There seem to be a few models and just though I ask the group if anyone has one, which one they have and what they like about it.

On land or by water? Do you need charting or just comms?

I have the SE, which doesn't have the chart/map display. It does everything I need, but if I were hiking in remote locations I suppose the plotter capability would be useful.

What I like best is that I can use it from a regular cell phone via Bluetooth. Send and receive texts just like you normally would, except from within the Garmin app instead of your usual messaging app. Lots of other great features, too. I think the big advantage of the SE (or Explorer) over the mini is battery life, which may or may not be an issue, depending on how far you expect to get from a USB charging port.

Great idea having everyone in a group bring one!

For boating needs the SE is all you need. I have the original DeLorme In-Reach with mapping. The mapping is of no use. I’m thinking of getting the SE so I can use my phone for typing text instead using the 4 button method on the In-Reach.

The In-Reach is absolutely worth the money.

Thank you both, that is my thoughts, and actually looking at the mini version with the phone for messaging, but then thought the larger with the mapping as backup could be a good option for the small difference in price. love anyone else experiences...

Md, I also have the SE model and have used it since Delorme introduced it, pre-Garmin. It has always served me well, including in the very mountainous areas of Alaska and British Columbia. I also have an Iridium sat phone, but if text messages will do, Inreach is the low cost alternative by far. A very good product.:thumb:

I have the SE, used it for five months in Alaska and BC last summer.
Invaluable for reassuring the wife with realtime tracking and daily communication re: continued survival. Also useful for coordinating crew exchanges

I have both the SE and the newer one with the maps, which I forget if it is the plus, etc. I would agree with everyone else - the SE is all you need on a boat. The maps are mostly worthless and you likely have other devices on board like your MFD or an iPad that have far superior cartography.

Back
Top Bottom