View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markajh View Post
I'm appreciating the feedback, thanks. To some of the comments - yes I referred to their marketing video - which is terrible. I've been in marketing all my career. Absolute seems to get high marks on their products. If you can read through the reviewers who say everything is great - it appears they have a clean factory that's pretty well-run. It's odd to me that they would promote CAD. LOL. I"m very familiar with cored hulls. Clearly, when done right it's a good product - I can't imagine Hatteras would compromise. That said, it's interesting to see a company still doing a hand-lay up fiberglass hulls. Nordhaven has solid fiberglass hulls below the waterline. Outer Reef is the same. I can understand why mega-companies like Benateue with multiple brands and high volumes do cored - it's a matter of efficiencies and economies. But it seems to be a common theme on trawlers to be solid fiberglass.
It requires less investment in the facility and technology to do solid fiberglass, no new training of personnel. On a boat designed to go slow, there's no disadvantage and many advantages, especially over poorly done coring. No reason not to stay solid fiberglass in a full displacement trawler.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote