dryer vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
*what do you guys do for your dryer vent?* Mine has a nylon sock on it and blows dust everywhere** Must be a better way

I couldn't figure out what to do with it that would be workable, so installed a condensing dryer instead. *It has worked well, and there is no vent.

My boat came with an external vent. It's plastic and takes the standard dryer hose. Try the hardware store?

looked around at home depot There stuff is so very cheap would like better quality

On a normal survey it is the first thing I look at when I see a dryer. 9 out of 10 are blocked. Either the hose is krimpt or loaded with debris. Just waiting for a fire to start. Metal tubing is the best. In wooden hulls the hot moisture also causes rot. Some installation with metal tubing use to give off heat in area it goes thru.

On our boat...the original dryer hose ran to an external fitting....but when they put it in...they put too many turns in it...and they never cleaned it. I ended up pulling out the vinyl hose that had the internal wire coil in it.... It was packed with lint....and when I removed the old washer and dryer....we found that we were lucky that the dryer never caught fire....

I replaced the units....and replaced the dryer hose with the metal expandable hose that ends up being smoother inside and gives better air flow. I ran it through the bulkhead into the engine room and connected it to a vented plastic box like gizmo that you put water into and it catches most of the lint. Some dust makes it out but its not bad... Biggest thing about the gizmo is to clean it on a regular basis....so the water doesn't get funky smelling.... Its one of these:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/indoor-dryer-vent/10105?listIndex=1 But I used the rigid metal hose to connect it to the dryer.

Back
Top Bottom