Trailerable or HomePort for Couples Cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The C-Dory is also a calm water boat, or a very slow boat. Once we got to rougher water, we switched to a deep V boat.

If you need to do 20-30 knots in 3-4 foot chop, the CD is not the right boat for you. But I might describe the C-Dory ride a little differently.

Our CD22 (quite light for its size, and very little transom deadrise) would handle most water well, but it was challenged by a short steep chop. If we kept going at typical cruise speed of 16-18 knots it would tend to rattle our teeth. We would slow to ~13 knots, and the ride would smooth out considerably. This works even better in the CD25, as it is a lot heavier.

When waves were really big, our CD handled them really well. We've had ours in 20-25 footers off the west coast of Chichagof Island in SE Alaska. Slowed to 9-10 knots, and it never took any green water over the bow. It's a seaworthy design.

And there are tradeoffs - being so light, the CD22 is remarkably easy to tow, and gets great fuel economy.

Trailerable vs homeport

I’ve done both. While you didn’t ask for boat suggestions, I’m going to Mention 3. For trailerable, the C Dory 25 or the Ranger 25 will allow you to cruise San Diego, Puget Sound, Lake Powell, the Fl Keys and the Outer Banks all in one year if you have the time and so choose. Also, you will be able to buy a newer boat in this size which means less refit, rebuild and replace. Maintenance is cheaper as are transient slips and you can follow good weather which means you can boat year round. Also, nothing says you can’t have a home port and keep the boat in the water for easy access and then trailer to other locations when you want to. A 25 foot boat is also easy to single hand on days that you want to take her out by yourself. Finally, when you aren’t going to use the boat for awhile, you put it on the trailer and store it at your house for free or a dry storage lot for very little. A trailerable boat is typically easier to sell than a larger trawler. Currently we have a C Dory 22 and a Grand Banks 36 which is home ported about 400 miles away. Very roomy and comfortable but when we use it is controlled by the weather and we are pretty much locked into a finite cruising area because of time.
The advice I always give is “be very honest with yourself about how you will really be using the boat and buy the boat that best fits that type of use”. If speed is important to you, go trailerable.
Good luck!

Last edited:
We have done the "trailer-kept express cruiser experience" for the last 13 years and had a blast. It was so much fun that it made us realize we want to live on a boat, so we recently purchased a 44 foot Tollycraft for that purpose. I'm pretty confident that we will love having a slipped boat too, but I have no experience with it yet.

I think getting a trailer boat and a decent tow vehicle would be a great way to get into the lifestyle and would be pretty easy to sell if you decided to go in another direction and giving it a go.

I STRONGLY recommend getting a diesel-powered 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck if you plan to tow a pocket cruiser. I towed mine with a gas SUV (1/2 ton based) and later a 3/4 ton diesel. While both got the job done, the diesel does it effortlessly and gave us great peace of mind.

Our trailer-kept boat cruises at 30 knots with ease. Since our cruises were always limited by the amount of vacation time we had, it was often nice to be able to make great time between ports. 110 nautical mile days, while also spending a few hours checking out different ports were the norm for us and we got to enjoy a ton of boating in fantastic places without having to spend a lot of money and time. We also got to enjoy places that you simply cannot reach without a trailer boat.

I STRONGLY recommend getting a diesel-powered 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck if you plan to tow a pocket cruiser. I towed mine with a gas SUV (1/2 ton based) and later a 3/4 ton diesel. While both got the job done, the diesel does it effortlessly and gave us great peace of mind.

I definitely agree that one needs to have an adequate tow vehicle. A tow vehicle needs to have both adequate payload and towing capacity. Sometimes with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks, folks overlook the payload capacity and just focus on trailering capacities.

Much like diesel vs gas debates in boats, one could also have the same debate in tow vehicles. Personally, in a new 3/4 ton truck, I would probably go with gas, something like a 6.4L Ram 2500. Reason for this would be the purchase price difference in a gas vs diesel truck. Moving up into the 1 ton truck, I would likely be looking at diesel. Personal choice for either, especially as one's use and needs might vary from another persons.

Jim

Given the high cost of pump diesel vs gas, about $.75 in my area, I would go with gas. Get a decent sized V8. The Ram 6.4L would be fine.

David

Without taking a side in the decision, there are two excellent books by Jim and Lisa Favors about trailering a pocket trawler. In one of them they write about their Great Loop trip. They trailer a Ranger 27. I have read both books and suspect that anyone considering the cruising lifestyle would enjoy both.

They are:

Upside of Downsizing to a Trailerable Trawler (TRAILER TRAWLER LIFE Book 1)
and
When the Water Calls... We Follow

The links are:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DPEH54M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXKWUB8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I definitely agree that one needs to have an adequate tow vehicle. A tow vehicle needs to have both adequate payload and towing capacity. Sometimes with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks, folks overlook the payload capacity and just focus on trailering capacities.

Much like diesel vs gas debates in boats, one could also have the same debate in tow vehicles. Personally, in a new 3/4 ton truck, I would probably go with gas, something like a 6.4L Ram 2500. Reason for this would be the purchase price difference in a gas vs diesel truck. Moving up into the 1 ton truck, I would likely be looking at diesel. Personal choice for either, especially as one's use and needs might vary from another persons.

Jim

Thanks, I currently have a F350 with a 6.4L V10 that I use to pull my hot air balloon trailer. Thinking that will cover my trailering needs for whatever boat we choose.

Here comes that jerk again with the houseboat.
IMAG0331.jpg

We are trailerable, sleep 7, have full galley w/ 4 burner stove, full sized oven, double sink, fridge, microwave, generator - air conditioning, stand up hot water shower, gravity head w/ 30 gal holding tank, small chest freezer - and can make over 25 mph. We've been to Powell twice from SC, down to the Keys, up to The St Lawrence River at NY and to many lakes this side of the Mississippi. We've used her as a camper on the road and at campgrounds for weeks at a time. We've been on the water for a week with 4 adults, two kids and a dog without using a marina or needing supplies.
https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/2015/06/big-duck-goes-back-to-lake-powell-2015.html

IMAG0331.jpg

We are trailerable, sleep 7, have full galley w/ 4 burner stove, full sized oven, double sink, fridge, microwave, generator - air conditioning, stand up hot water shower, gravity head w/ 30 gal holding tank, small chest freezer - and can make over 25 mph. We've been to Powell twice from SC, down to the Keys, up to The St Lawrence River at NY and to many lakes this side of the Mississippi. We've used her as a camper on the road and at campgrounds for weeks at a time. We've been on the water for a week with 4 adults, two kids and a dog without using a marina or needing supplies.
https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/2015/06/big-duck-goes-back-to-lake-powell-2015.html

Too bad they don't make these anymore. Although a new one would probably cost a couple of hundred grand these days.

I never thought I'd want another trailer boat, until Sunday when I saw the Rosborough 246 at the boat show. Maybe a little tight for sleeping two (my wife is accustomed to king size bed at home) but I wouldn't mind sleeping on the settee. This boat is well built enough to go coastal cruising, yet small enough to haul over the road to get far away and then cruise around. And efficient with a Honda 150 outboard. And built right here in NH!! It may be just the ticket when we go to summers in NH and winters in NC. This may be the only boat I would ever consider buying brand new, because 1) they hold their value and 2) very few used ones on the market.

If your adventure is few times a year , then towing is OK
Finding a storage yard that is safe .
I have always owned boats . a number of trailer , kept home fishing 21 ft boats
Recent years I purchased a 31 ft power cruiser ,
Twin gas engines
Boat is a luxury Regal Commodore , 31 ft - 9.6 beam - 9000 lbs -
Regal was sitting on a 3 axle , disk brake 15200 lb towing capacity trailer
Having a trailer made my decision easier .
If your planning on using often , FORGET ABOUT IT .
not going too like towing a big boat
Not fun, like a job too much responsibilities , legally , and maniac drivers
I did it a number of times
White knuckling over bridges ,
Launching easy , pulling out , is a two person job
With a smaller boat your have the same issues but not so overwhelming , Towing a smaller boat on highway you can zip all over . Not happening with a 30 ft boat
Not dealing with trailering . I brought boat too a marina ,
I am on this forum considering a trawler , getting an education
As a retired couple my plan was too trailer all over FL were we reside ,
Putting it together is another story .
Finding a facility that offers safe night time parking for truck & trailer? Most state parks have no night time parking
Dealing with crazies on road . Way too much of a hassle ,
I use my boat few days of every week . Kept on the hard , I call they launch . Marina offers courtesy slips with electric so , this way bottom & IO stay clean , Folks with bigger boats seldom use . I go out every time I am at marina , fish close too shore too conserve fuel burn , come back , swim in pool , hang on boat , go too dinner ,
I have both , ability too trailer , and a steady marina
Marina becomes a way of life , Monthly fees get old
If I had a smaller boat with nice cabin I would use at St Johns River & ocean , take home maintain , Save a bundle . I can get tons of great stuff for boat saving marina fees plus marine insurance , ,
Good luck in your search

Interesting.

I have not had the same experience. Not sure if that is the difference in boat size

31' x 9.6' @ 9000 pounds (Which technically requires a permit to tow)
Versus
27' x 8 1/2' @ 7500 pounds

Not last year however years in the past I have trailered this boat to the lake 20 out of 52 weekends a year.
Towing always seemed a non-event. I travel rather slowly at 55/60 on highways that are posted at 65. However always stay in the slow lane and hang in there as the crazies blow by. The trip is a short hour drive one way.
Typically I like to launch at times that the ramp is less busy. The ramps I use are multi-lane. The one I frequent the most is 3 wide meaning 3 boats can be launched at the same time. While I can do this single handed, it is a little bit much and usually my wife will operate the boat after I have dropped it into the lake. And the usual MO is later on Friday night boating all weekend to late Sunday. (Sometime early Monday morning)
Pull it out lock it to the trailer and drive home.

Last edited:
Trailer boating is far far less expensive than having a boat in the water at a marina. Not even close as far as on going costs. (I could write a very long post of the financial differences.) It is also healthier for the boat. (The water is a much harsher environment than on the hard) If one has greater limitations on cash, trailer boating is a way of still having the on the water boating experience.

Going the other direction, one could take the boating experience to a different level and say, why pay for a slip at a marina? Really? That is such a waste of time, "The further you have to travel" you know it is a .... Driving back and forth to the marina. Pony up to a water front lot and slip your yacht at home! And your boat is there for you within steps. Now that is what should be done.

Trailer boating is different. It isn't better or worse. It isn't right or wrong. It is different. Boating on any level is being on the water. Especially if one is not full time on the water. Unless one is full time it all is part time boating experience that can be had by different people on different levels. And no matter how that is accomplished it is all good. It just may look different. Not right not wrong just different.

As to trailerable versus moored there is a limitation based on size for trailerable. But given the same size vessel the biggest difference is cost

Action,
Well, less expensive, but not a ton. You still need a trailer and a towing vehicle. And just the towing vehicle can cost way more than the boat. High and dry or storage on the trailer in a marina is still pretty cheap and offers an option for folks that aren't out all the time. But the OP already has his towing vehicle.

However, ponying up for the waterfront it absolutely the best way, bar none. Not much of an option for the OP in New Mexico.

Also, agreed, nothing wrong with whatever way gets the job done, just different strokes.

IMAG0331.jpg

Now that's an interesting boat. Tell us a bit more... what kind is it, specs, etc? Looks like a lot of features in a small boat.... room, stable, flybridge, etc. Ideal for river and lake cruising?

We are talking one couple (2 people). But if it was 4 people I would agree on not using a trailerable.

Iron,

Don't know where I picked up the 4 people... must have misread something.
Yes, 2 would work, and after reading your situation being in New Mexico, I'd agree, trailerable is probably your only option. I don't know your area, but from what you're saying, your boating areas are FAR away from each other and many have no way to get there by water. So, enjoy your waters out there with trailerable.

When you get to the "looping" stage, I could argue strongly against a trailer for a number of reasons, but some folks do the loop on small boats.... most don't.

Now that's an interesting boat. Tell us a bit more... what kind is it, specs, etc? Looks like a lot of features in a small boat.... room, stable, flybridge, etc. Ideal for river and lake cruising?
There were about 250 built in 72 - 73. They were built in halves, then the port and starboard halves were glassed together. They came with a V8, twin 4's, twin 6's and twin diesels. One was converted to twin V8 jet drives. They have positive floatation. I've put all the info I've gathered here:
https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/2017/01/land-n-sea-houseboat-information.html?m=1
You mention stable. Be sure to check out the video at thr end of the link...we dont adjust course or speed when encountering wakes.
I know of about 15. One fellow has 2.

This one has been for sale over four years???
https://boats-from-usa.com/land-n-sea/land-n-sea-1742

I guess it sold on ebay back in 16 for $15.9

And there is a fb group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1918333591817049/?__xts__[0]=68.ARCLd3uQnvVTl8pCpC49j3Xr7DhQ_TLGICfBLuUfoZlstoREC1DTxMitkfbq617vXevPBn_tC8ZYd_cahyXUWxJ3dz9fJTgv5QF8sz9JKvLRgS4z0OlxCCucZSBGPO1cPAjrgC3dS4bNpjwt2tuwQ09bz1wKcJJA7MgWli8_0ncMvnhHhAAv6JAfHpxAvIKsqkIqKCcPXUjwCTqW3LXuEuETO17_f_hrPIjivzq9IZ0TEWhygfXKAh-bLWyAk9G0YjBCkt7JVoQw6Pgdj6pULgLuvsKVehekw0qGtpA0oTFfjgN_TnHx5iAuLpaC3oO-F2UYRMQ5nawX73IhAigfzI3zAgd5&__tn__=HH-R

Last edited:
This one has been for sale over four years???
https://boats-from-usa.com/land-n-sea/land-n-sea-1742

I guess it sold on ebay back in 16 for $15.9

And there is a fb group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1918333591817049/?__xts__

That group is for the little brother - Sea Camper. They were 24' vs 28 for the Land n Sea. The biggest difference except the size, is that the Sea Campers had wood interiors and most of the ones for sale are abandoned projects that are gutted. The L-n-S only have wood trim and the fiberglass interiors are usually intact.

I've seen them go for between 20k and 4k depending on condition. But it's been my experience that no matter what you pay, you'll likely have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k in the boat by the time you're ready to take her out on the water...if you do most of the work yourself. This isn't bad, especially if you consider what that trawler will cost you!

Last year I helped a friend bring one back to SC from Wichita

Here's the story on mine

Nice blog! Read the whole thing

Powell is an awesome lake. From SC is a bit of a stretch. IMO. (I thought Phoenix was a long trip with 27" and 7500 pounds of plastic) Nice pics.

After much consideration and searching, we now have a new to us Atlas Acadia 25.

Attachments

• Acadia25.jpg
    Acadia25.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Acadia25closur.jpg
    Acadia25closur.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Acadia25helm.jpg
    Acadia25helm.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Acadia25traler.jpg
    Acadia25traler.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
With a trailer boat you have the advantage of not being restricted to displacement speeds.

Most older boats will have an IO usually with a car engine , new will probably use a large outboard.

20K or so cruising will open up many new rivers and lakes , and the ability to angle up the drive allows beaching at times.

Exhibit-A (see left), our Albin-25, is my first power following a lifetime of sail boats. Our last sail cruiser was an eminently trailerable 28' Shearwater Yawl by Edey & Duff which we towed something like 35,000 miles all over the USA.

The Albin was built in Sweden 45 years ago. However, they are not rare; something like 2000 were imported to N America. Why choose such an old boat? Simply because they don't make much like it anymore. I wanted a real "sea boat" and the Albin was designed by Per Brohall, one of Sweden's most noteworthy designers. I also wanted "economy", and our DuNORD will cruise for a week on a single 20-gal tank of diesel.

Top speed is 10 knots, cruising at 8 Knots, and this suits us just fine as our Shearwater would only go 7. We powered fairly often because I never much cared to sail in Zephyrs. Most power cruisers today are fitted with larger, or multiple engines requiring a small fortune for fuel just so that their owners can go faster.

Most people would think the Albin-25 (the 27 is another popular though less trailerable design) is a bit small for the LOOP, but I'm not planning on upgrading to a larger boat when we get a chance to embark.

The Acadia looks like a sweet well built boat. My only concern, looking at pics on their site, was it looked like there is no access to the sides of the engine. Guessing that model has no service points on the sides. Pic wasn't clear about access front and back but assumed ok.

The Acadia looks like a sweet well built boat. My only concern, looking at pics on their site, was it looked like there is no access to the sides of the engine. Guessing that model has no service points on the sides. Pic wasn't clear about access front and back but assumed ok.
Deck, lockers and seats all come off on either side of engine for access. Not ideal, but it is a 25' boat.

Ok, better to have that than 6" to work with!

"Most people would think the Albin-25 (the 27 is another popular though less trailerable design) is a bit small for the LOOP, but I'm not planning on upgrading to a larger boat when we get a chance to embark."

If you are comfortable , thats all that matters.

You may be aboard for 6 months for the entire loop, and might go back for the
Lake Champlain right loop.

Not every one requires a pair of heads that echo , so most of the local boats are 30 ft or so.

Slow speed is required in many Canadian sections , not a handicap..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom