View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
JeremyZ

City: Ballard
Vessel Name: Sea Pony
Vessel Model: 1974 Yar 26
Question Good small liveaboard candidates for conversion to solar/electric

I'm looking for suggestions for models that would be good candidates to convert to a solar/electric drive. Advances in battery and solar panel tech mean we are right about at the point where it could be viable.

What I would consider ideal would be a highly efficient hull design, a flat roof with large surface area for solar (extending hardtop over cockpit if needed), and enough room to live aboard frugally. I live aboard a 26' pocket trawler right now, so my expectations are sufficiently set!

Here's what I know of:

Great Harbor TT35
Polarizing design, which I actually love, and they have already started talking with Torqeedo about a solar/electric version. But they are working on hull #8 right now, and I haven't seen reports of ANY owners who are happy with the purchase experience.

33 Eco-Trawler
Definitely on the small side for attempting to live aboard. I haven't talked to them – maybe they can easily enough make an extended cabin version? Not sure.

Solar Sal
This is essentially a solar/electric enthusiast who is having Devlin build a boat for them to put Torqeedo on. I've seen their boat personally at the boat show, so I presume they can deliver. They show a liveaboard version, but I may as well just talk directly to Devlin if I want to go this route.

Rosborough
The models available new right now are too small to live aboard, but they have made some larger models in the past that look right.

Beyond that, there are some specific individual boats that look possible, but most any I have found are ballasted full-displacement trawlers as opposed to the fast or eco trawlers above.

Sundowner Tug 30 Sedan

Maple Bay 27

Etc.

So, are there other good candidates I am missing? New or used? Thank you!!
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote