Another Newbe Doug Martin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug Martin

Hi there . My wife and I are transitioning from sail to trawler and just purchased a 1983 Monk 36 in Midland Ont. Looking forward to the adventure as we will be doing a complete refit when we get to our home port Bayfield and Harbor Lights Marina on the shores of Lake Huron . Looking forward to this forum and learning all we can about our new adventure .

Last edited:
Welcome Mr. and Mrs Doug, I like it when anyone joins the forum who bought a boat older then mine. LOL. :rofl:

Welcome and congratsDoug and the Mrs.!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard eh? I suggest you wait a few months before launch...

200w.webp

Welcome aboard. We are on the western shore of Lake Huron. Congrats on your new boat.

Thank you . If all goes well around the first week in June we will pending sea trails bring her home as we haven’t seen the whole boat as it was shrink wrapped and on shore for the winter in Midland . It will be like unwrapping a Christmas Present not sure what we will all find .

Welcome, and congratulations.

Welcome! The purchase is complete, but you're not sure what's under the wrapping? I assume you mean you're in the purchase process. Good luck either way.

We did purchase just haven’t seen the outside very good as it was wrapped up for winter . We did crawl inside and made the deal buy it still needs sea trail just to make sure everything works . So right now we are a happy two boat owner which should prove to be an interesting spring .

Congrats! I sense a kindred spirit. Purchased my boat in CT 2015. River was frozen. My broker refers to me as a suicide buyer.
At least I was able to view the outside the way it was wrapped and had a survey.
You mention “total refit”. Let us know what the project list will be and if we can help. And when you start remember lots of pictures.
Good luck,
Don

Yes it looks like we mirrored each other as we too got survey when covered and the guy was complaining he can’t do a good job when wrapped . You called a suicide buyer? I’would say we have vision ! Anyway look forward to all the help and questions along the way . Yes major refit as engine needs to come out along with gen set to gain access to leaking fuel tanks which we already now . Then when all that’s out all workings below deck will be checked replaced as I want to relocate gen set and decrease size of fuel tanks making more working room . I’m a old diesel mechanic not afraid of this adventure. My Marina also will love me as most work will be done by them as I trust them as they have taken my money for 20 plus years and now again with this project . Look forward to what’s ahead .

We sold our Carver 3207 in January 2015 to a buyer while it was on jackstands in the storage yard covered with snow. It did run well and was in good shape and I gave him a copy of my 5-page task list so he could see I was meticulous with details and improvements, but still, he bought it under a giant tarp and never heard it run before he wrote the check. Some people are just trusting that way I guess.

Welcome to the forum to you both!
I really like the Monk 36, looked for one when I was boat shopping, but none were available out here on the West Coast at the time.
You are braver than I am, however, I am known to be conservative (just ask my wife). If I were in your place, I would still be under contract with subjects until survey and sea trial, but that's me :)
Good luck with your new boat and enjoy!!

Congratulations and welcome to Trawler Forum.

Welcome to the TF!

Welcome! we bought our Monk 36 in 2008 we like it very much.
There is a great owners group, Monk Owners Association If you are interested in information on joining please contact: MOASecretary@yahoo.com

Thanks we already join and hope we can share info and for sure stories along the way . Can’t wait till spring so we can uncover this vessel and see what she really looks like . Hopefully the engine runs well and no leaks anywhere and we will make the 150 mile trip home across Georgian Bay down Lake Huron where we will quickly drydock her again . We will sail our sail boat this year until it sells and while starting the long job of refitting as needed .

Old Trawler

High Doug
My name is Greg Lemons, my boat's name is Malindy and she lives in Madisonville, LA. She is a 1973 Grand Banks 42'. I have been restoring her back to as close to original as possible? I have information that she is the oldest Grand Banks still floating? I have just retired for the 3rd time and my plans are to do the Great Loop singlehanded!

Welcome aboard!

Hi there . My wife and I are transitioning from sail to trawler and just purchased a 1983 Monk 36 in Midland Ont. Looking forward to the adventure as we will be doing a complete refit when we get to our home port Bayfield and Harbor Lights Marina on the shores of Lake Huron . Looking forward to this forum and learning all we can about our new adventure .

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the decision to "trawler!" You'll find it leaves much more time to food and beverage!

High Doug
My name is Greg Lemons, my boat's name is Malindy and she lives in Madisonville, LA. She is a 1973 Grand Banks 42'. I have been restoring her back to as close to original as possible? I have information that she is the oldest Grand Banks still floating? I have just retired for the 3rd time and my plans are to do the Great Loop singlehanded!
At a vintage 1973 it is truely a classic . It was around those years where fibreglass was just starting to be the norm so is your a woody or glass? Taking on restoring a vintage vessel would be a big challenge as well as rewarding when all done . I’ll likely be asking myself and shacking my head at times why we are doing our project in the end I like the older designs and character they bring with them so I’m good .

Hello

Hi doug
Welcome. Always nice to see another big freshwater/big water member. (We are in Chicago and too the plunge last year. We are still active sailboat racers, but have a foot in the dark side now as well.

Enjoy!

Allow me to add my welcome. You have selected a very fine boat for your venture. My wife and I have spent many pleasant weeks about a chartered Monk 36 up in BC. A great boat, comfortable for its size, easy to handle and economic. Good luck with the refit, leaky fuel tanks is a big job.
Keep us fellow TFers posted on your progress.

Welcome Aboard

You bought a great brand. I enjoyed our Monk 42 out of Midland for the past 2 seasons and grew to very much appreciate the quality build. I only sold her to downsize to something more easily managed. Now seriously considering a 2006 Mainship 34 with twin Yanmars and bow and stern thrusters. I wish you many happy years of boating.

The serveral trips we made to WYE HERITAGE MARINA this winter to do nothing buy look at the boat under shrink wrap and snow and wiggle ourselves inside to a very cold cabin was all worth the drive and as spring approaches we cant wait to see the whole boat . Looking forward to this spring and let the adventure begin . Also we made the right decision to join this forum as everyone has being more than willing to share information on what we getting ourselves into . Thanks to all!

Welcome Doug and the best of luck.
Two years ago I took the big plunge, buying a '79 Mainship 34 after 25 years of sailing. I bought her in Baltimore and brought her home to Toronto via the Hudson and the Erie Canal. Never had ever driven a trawler even once before. Luckily I had a frequent TF contributor (David Marchand) as co-captain for the first half of the trip. Learned so much that I was able to bring her up through the 30 locks on the Erie Canal and across Lake Ontario with a mate. I have been restoring her to her former glory and have made numerous single handed cruises to different ports.
The point of all this is to let you know you have done the right thing and about all the fun you are going to have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom