Getting the Most From Windy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Windy a lot to check the forecasted conditions on Charlotte Harbor before I go out. My boat is a handful in more than 12-15 kts, so if I see that forecasted I don't go.

I also use it for picking anchorages that are protected from wind in the overnight period.

The link talked about activating the Reported wind conditions. This is one of the more layer icons that looks like a wind sock in the lower right of the screen. When Windy's forecast and real world conditions are divergent that raises a red flag when the wind is marginal.

David

I use Windy a lot when I'm headed out. Especially if I'm headed down the Columbia. I use it to get an idea of what the winds in the Columbia Gorge will be.

Tom....Crusty turned me on to Windy a couple summers ago up north. I still use it, but the go-to, day-to-day forecasts I prefer are the governments' recorded vhf broadcasts, especially in BC. There's nothing quite like an actual observation of sea state made by a lighthouse keeper when you're ready to round Cape Caution or cross Dixon Entrance, even though they're only updated every 3 hours. Too bad there are no such observations in SE AK.

Last edited:
I use Windy a lot when I'm headed out. Especially if I'm headed down the Columbia. I use it to get an idea of what the winds in the Columbia Gorge will be.

Its always windy in the Gorge!!! Just carry extra fenders when trying to get into the lock!!!:angel::dance:

Tom....Crusty turned me on to Windy a couple summers ago up north. I still use it, but the go-to, day-to-day forecasts I prefer are the governments' recorded vhf broadcasts, especially in BC. There's nothing quite like an actual observation of sea state made by a lighthouse keeper when you're ready to round Cape Caution or cross Dixon Entrance, even though they're only updated every 3 hours. Too bad there are no such observations in SE AK.

He did the same for me too!

You are right on local observations. 2017 we got our butts handed to us crossing Dixon. All the apps stated 3ft seas. Not Environmental Canada!! It was the only one that was right and we didn't check it because they are ALWAYS wrong! Yeah not this time.

I guess "Small Craft Advisory" translates to "Gale Winds" in Canadian!

He did the same for me too!

You are right on local observations. 2017 we got our butts handed to us crossing Dixon. All the apps stated 3ft seas. Not Environmental Canada!! It was the only one that was right and we didn't check it because they are ALWAYS wrong! Yeah not this time.

I guess "Small Craft Advisory" translates to "Gale Winds" in Canadian!
Yeah, us Canucks actually hail from a long line of old salty sailors with the motto...... if it ain't blowing at least 25 knots why leave the dock? :blush:
And if you believe me on this one, I have some land (well Land at low tide) for sale for you!

Back
Top Bottom