Caribbean to Europe - power route vs sail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chasing forecasts is predicated on a cruising speed of 6 to 7 knots, 130 to 150 nm/24hr.
I don't know anyone crossing the Atlantic at 15 knots. A sailboat can probably do 12 to 15 in the trade winds.

A Low moves 500 nm/ day. So even if, and that's a big if, the forecast is "right" it can be easily off 150 miles, at which point you zigged when you should have zagged.

I would love to have been able to find that Azores High, but I also can't go 500 miles out of my way to find it.

Hi,

Not trawler, but power boat

Sir Richard Branson and hes team cross Atlantic 1986 3 day, 8 hours and 31minutes, i dont now what is avager speed, but i think +15 knots. Boat is 72 feet "Virgin Atlantic Challenger II"

Video this atlantic cross regords

And articel this boat

Boat that made Branson a household name to be sold for £725,000

An old Viking route is one option, making shorter steps and refuiling fuel
Four-Seasons-route-2016-kopie.jpg

No limits about 50 feet run this route 2016 EU to US boat shows, nice video this trip
NBs

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of bladders.
While your boat may have been designed for an extra 9,000 lbs, I doubt that considered putting this weight relatively high, on deck, sloshing around.

I'll be curious to see what my pilot charts day about that route in June.
If anyone had Jimmy Cornell's Pilot Charts of the North Atlantic in June, please take a picture and post it.

My book is on Dauntless and I won't be on her until March.

Definitely want the extra tankage down low. We've got quite a bit of room in the hulls, and most can be towards the centre so not to overload the ends.

I'd love to see the Cornell pilot for June if anyone has one!

I have used bladders & had good success - but I secured them, anti-chafed them, plumbed them in with hoses & valves, bleed out all the air, set up an electric transfer fuel pump, etc. & tested them & had them all set up before I left. - Not doing any of that on the fly underway.

Here is the type I used -- ATL - brand. -- all different sized available.

http://www.atlinc.com/pdfs/PillowTanks/DS617-REB-Fuel-Bladders-web.pdf

I mounted mine in the rear of the engine room -- one on each side. - NOT on deck as it can raise the center of gravity to much. :eek:

Good Luck on your trip.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Thanks Alfa Mike - definitely put the tankage as low and stable and central as possible.

Can I ask how much extra you had, and what your voyage was?

I would look into the seasonal variances of the Bermuda Azores high. It governs the NA weather in the calmest time of the year (summer). This with the other areas of reference will help you to start with a time frame of the best passage time/date . You may have to split it into 3 passages to take advantage of the weather systems. East coast-Bermuda-Azores-Gib etc.

That's definitely something I'd like to see - any idea how to get the information?

Just google "Bermuda High" there's huge amount of info on line.

Gentlemen,

How about up the East Coast to Saint Johns, Newfoundland and then over to the Azores and finally to Europe. No need for extra fuel on that series of runs. Since you are a powerboat/trawler, no need to consider the winds.

Gentlemen,

How about up the East Coast to Saint Johns, Newfoundland and then over to the Azores and finally to Europe. No need for extra fuel on that series of runs. Since you are a powerboat/trawler, no need to consider the winds.

Depends on the time of year.
That was my original route planned for a mid June crossing.
Too much ice off of Newfoundland made us head SE after Nova Scotia, then east to the Azores.
Had I to do it all over again, with Ireland as my destination, I'd probably stick to that northerly route, but wait until mid July.

The later departure would mean no ice issues, but the north Atlantic from mid August on can turn on you.

Thank you Richard.

Think if you left Saint Johns the ice issue would only be a risk for the first few hundred miles as the water is much warmer the closer you get to the Azores. I have a 44' Nauticat motor sailor and that is a route that we keep considering since we only carry 225 gallons but of course have 2 60' sails. Agreed after being an airplane pilot for 30 years that the bladder tanks could shift at the wrong time and OH BOY we got a bad weight and balance issue.

Good thought - half the distance to Azores, and even Ireland direct is even shorter. I think MV Dirona did this, but starting Nova Scotia? A leetle colder perhaps (icebergs?! ffs!! lol)

Good thought - half the distance to Azores, and even Ireland direct is even shorter. I think MV Dirona did this, but starting Nova Scotia? A leetle colder perhaps (icebergs?! ffs!! lol)

So, let's have a recap.
What time period are you able to go?( from earliest departure to latest arrival)?

What is your current range under normal operating conditions?

From where will you start? to final destination? Via Azores?

Richard

Thank you Richard.

Think if you left Saint Johns the ice issue would only be a risk for the first few hundred miles as the water is much warmer the closer you get to the Azores. I have a 44' Nauticat motor sailor and that is a route that we keep considering since we only carry 225 gallons but of course have 2 60' sails. Agreed after being an airplane pilot for 30 years that the bladder tanks could shift at the wrong time and OH BOY we got a bad weight and balance issue.

I would not travel with any ice. Period.

Leaving in mid to late summer, end July, you could hop from NF, Greenland, Iceland, Faroes, Shetlands, Scotland.
I once planned that route, ending in Bergen, Norway.

“I would not travel with any ice. Period.”

Not to mention a little (or a lot) of fog.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom