Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty1 View Post
Hello to the Trawler Forum!
I am excited to join all of you because we share a passion for boating. I hope to retire within the next two years and hope to own a trawler that will take me around the Great Loop. I have yet to find another forum that has the wealth of information I have read here.
I live thirty miles south of Chicago and I have a 27' Monterey SCR260. I will be listing it for sale next month and hope to find a trawler my wife and I can enjoy for many years.
Sincerely, Bill "Thirsty1" Flatley
Thirsty1,

Welcome to TF. I've learned a great deal here, especially for the loop trip, which I finished 2 month ago, and continue to learn and hopefully contribute. There's a wealth of info here and some very helpful captains.

First thing, if you haven't, join AGLCA, they are the looper experts.

As for the boat, there's many folks here that have looped and can give thoughts on what boat may fit you.... and some nice to have things and some don't have things.

Go to a Looper rendezvous. You'll learn more there in 4 days that you will with a year of this on line stuff. You'll see and feel real boats that are doing the loop and talk with their owners. You'll take seminars relating to looping. It doesn't get any better. That was the single best thing I did. The second best was join TF, great info on all sorts of trawler like boating.

Now, start to figure out what you'd like in a boat and the creature comforts you want, performance you want and we'll figure out how to spend your money.