trawler or motor yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tell folks I have a trawler, they ask "How's the shrimp running?"

I am not sure shrimp run.??!! :)

Mostly, it depends on how pretentious the owner/operator wants to be! :socool:

When you go cruising outside the US, you'll discover that any cruising boat, no matter its size or condition, is called a yacht. And cruisers are referred to as yachties–not always with affection. In other countries, the term "yacht" is anything but pretentious!

I understand a yacht to be any boat with a high degree of refinement in her fit and finish. Detailed to the 10's.

Trawler is as Trawler does, except when...

Can someone please tell me if the Jefferson 42 SE Sundeck is a trawler or a motor yacht and what is the difference between the two?
Thanks

The term "trawler" derives from the verbs "Trawl" and "Troll". The verb has meanings in both fishing and non-fishing contexts.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trawl

So...technically, you're not a "Trawler" if your're not dragging nets through the water. This brings us to the definition of a "Recreational Trawler".

As far as I can remember, I first heard the word "Trawler" used to refer to pleasure boat in the late 1970's. Warren Luhrs made it popular when he introduced the "Mainship" brand and called his boats "trawlers".

re: "what is the difference between the two?"

Minus the nets, a fishing Trawler can become a recreational Trawler. Either boat has a number of features that are desirable for long-distance, reliable and economical cruising. Here are a few:

• Large interior hull space (cargo/fuel capacity) >>below<< the gunwales
  • Full-displacement or Semi-displacement hull. Trawlers are not built on planing hulls.
  • Designed for VERY economical operation, which generally means slow speeds, relatively small engines and (usually) a single engine. In these applications, engines frequently last tens-of-thousands of hours (see below).
  • A full length keel that is at least as deep as the lowest protrusion of the running gear into the water. This way when you run aground, you will run aground on the keel and most likely >>not<< tear out your prop-shaft(s) or rudder(s).
Obviously, if your boat is your livelihood, all of these things are important.

Here is a perfect example of a fishing trawler that embodies the entire concept:

https://www.powerequipment.com.au/y...ss-straight-trawler-and-is-as-strong-as-ever/

re: "is the Jefferson 42 SE Sundeck a Trawler...?"

No. Robert B. Harris designed the Jefferson 42 Sundeck SE. He called it a "Motor Yacht" and that's what it is. It is built on a planing hull, it is only available with twin engines and is frequently equipped with 600-750hp. It has nothing in common with a (fishing) trawler.

Brokers like to list them as a "trawler" anyway, because this boat appeals to many folks looking to do the great loop, and if they put "trawler" into the listing description, many folks (like yourself) will consider them when shopping for a recreational trawler. This is just fine.

In the end, it doesn't matter much. These are great boats and you will see many of them on the Great Loop. You will burn more fuel and have higher maintenence costs than you will with a single-engine full or semi-displacement hull "trawler", but other than that your experience will be very much the same.

-Riverguy

We all know what Trawlers look like but to me it's the 7 knot mindset/lifestyle.

If you're going faster than 7-8 knots you're not "trawler-ing"

I'd argue that if a sailboat doesn't have sails it's trawler-ing.

That sums it up for me too....

The only black and white definition of a trawler is a fishing boat that pulls a large wide cone shaped net.

The name was applied to recreational "trawlers" for marketing purposes. Boats in this category tend to have a similar have some similarity in looks and tend to be used for relatively slow cruising. They have full displacement or semi-displacement hulls. The interior fit out tends to have plenty of teak or other wood. Some people also call them motor cruisers.

A motor yacht is a broader term which includes recreational trawlers as well as faster planing boats, but not working trawlers. Some owners consider the term "yacht" to be too snooty for their boat and prefer to just call them trawlers.

You are welcome to call your Jefferson a trawler, a motor yacht, or just a boat. Your choice.

BINGO!!! Very well said!!!

Ocean Alexander and Grand Banks called their aft cabin with sundeck configuration motor yachts. OA called their 42/44/46 cockpit boats aft cabin sundeck motor yacht with cockpit. The offerings from those two companies are semi displacement hulls. The 46 motoryacht from Grand Banks seemed to come with 375 Cats which are hugely oversized for puttering around at hull speed or less. Grand Banks, who arguably defined the trawler "look", never called their boats trawlers. As many others have said, who cares. Regarding Jefferson's....every one I've ever seen (mostly looper boats) had exterior cosmetic issues. They were a low price point boat when new and many owners seemed to have let them deteriorate. But I'm sure there are exceptions.

Nicely said as well. Grand Banks did define this segment of cruising boat. ANd as you said, they never referred to their boats as "trawlers". Their literature referred to them as "Dependable Diesel Cruisers". And to correct you a bit...the marketing department at GB realized that people wanted faster boats. So in the early 2000s most of their boats were made with a modified planing V hull as opposed to their previous semi planing hulls....as you were...:)

So in the early 2000s most of their boats were made with a modified planing V hull as opposed to their previous semi planing hulls....as you were...:)

Wifey B: And now they've gone the next step. Grand Banks 60 with WOT of 36 knots and cruising speed of 27 knots. Now, we're getting somewhere. :rofl:

WifeyB. I’m not sure where we are getting. I seriously considered the new 60 (a friend even bought one) but decided the 54 Europa was a better boat even if it was slower.

I understand a yacht to be any boat with a high degree of refinement in her fit and finish. Detailed to the 10's.

Ben that’s actually a good description.
And all that bling is very pretentious.

Chris-Craft in the 50’s called their 62’ flush deck boat a “Motor Yacht” and I think it was a cabin configuration that earned it that “Motor Yacht” name/description. The main salon was a bit below the main deck and the wheelhouse was at maindeck level as part of the aft end of the cabin. A lot of other boats like the Grebe used the same description for their boats. And they too had the same cabin/deck configuration.
That of course was period specific and would not be valid today with the much more different boats. But I wonder if there’s a modern day connection to this 1950’s practice.

Detailed to the 10s.

May I submit Very Slow Hand!

Chris-Craft in the 50’s called their 62’ flush deck boat a “Motor Yacht” and I think it was a cabin configuration that earned it that “Motor Yacht” name/description. The main salon was a bit below the main deck and the wheelhouse was at maindeck level as part of the aft end of the cabin. A lot of other boats like the Grebe used the same description for their boats. And they too had the same cabin/deck configuration.
That of course was period specific and would not be valid today with the much more different boats. But I wonder if there’s a modern day connection to this 1950’s practice.

The floors of the Coot's saloon and forward stateroom are below waterline, while the pilothouse is at deck level. I've a yacht!??

Its all marketing , remember those exquisite 60-70 ft Trumphy's wee called houseboats by the factory.

Ben that’s actually a good description.
And all that bling is very pretentious.
Thanks and I agree. I like a nice level of trim but at some point, it becomes a bit much.

And at what point may that be?

And at what point may that be?
For me, a lot of brightwork. I prefer paint over highly varnish wood interior. I do like a few wooden trim accents, maybe a little bronze work. I believe each person has their own limit as to what is too much or too little as far as the bling goes. I'm also a firm believer that chrome doesn't get you home. I used to be a car junkie. :rofl:

My wife & I always call our vessel "The Boat." Our friends do too! Not once have I ever heard anyone refer to it as a trawler or yacht. Ocean Alexander refers to it as a "Sedan." If asked, I would call it a "Cockpit Motor Yacht."

Attachments

• OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    OA 42 Sedan.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Via Lido Salon 4.jpg
    Via Lido Salon 4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Stern view.jpg
    Stern view.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Galley & Dinette.jpg
    Galley & Dinette.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 39
A cockpit is an appendage on the rear end of a motor yacht configuration. A sedan is a single level walk-in floor plan that has an aft deck at the same level. "Europas" are sedans. This is a cockpit motor yacht configuration (although it's far too small to be a yacht). It's "the boat".

IMG_4239.jpg

Ben. As a kid the expression was either for show or for go.

I hate brightwork too but not on your boat, I pay to have it done because it’s easier.

A cockpit is an appendage on the rear end of a motor yacht configuration. A sedan is a single level walk-in floor plan that has an aft deck at the same level. "Europas" are sedans. This is a cockpit motor yacht configuration (although it's far too small to be a yacht). It's "the boat".

View attachment 85260

This helps me because I have owned smaller cruisers all of my life. And I have not been familiar with the different terms used for larger craft

Curious about the statement of the vessel pictured is too small to be a yacht.

Some time ago I insured a 27' Express Cruiser (not my current one) with Boat US. They gave me a discount or required (don't remember from back then - early 90's) if the boat was documented. I said OK but isn't it too small? (And I trailered it around the PNW.) They said it meets the definition of having 5 tons. At the time I thought this isn't any yacht but signed the papers and paid the fee to get my insurance lowered.

How big does a boat have to be to be a yacht?

When you see a yacht you know it.
Don’t see any yet.
Many to most say a Fleming is a trawler.
They may be yachts.

Action,
Riva boats are clearly yachts. I make that judgement by the extreme fit and finish. They even grow their own wood and it ages for years in their drying sheds before being used on a boat. All (or most ?) of their hardware like cleats are/were made by Riva. And the cleats are designed to mate with the toerails or whatever else they are attached to.

At least that’s the way it was presented in a vid I saw years ago. How could one not call all those boats a yacht? Anyway when you see such a boat I’m sure breathing stops for a few seconds and I’m sure you’ve just seen a yacht. And it could be less than 20 feet.

Rufus I belive Cockpit Motor Yachts are yachts that just happen to have an aft cockpit. I’m sure there are FBMY’s too and obviously it’s not the appendage of FB or cockpits that make them motor yachts. Nothing to do w it I belive.

But typically a yacht is thought of as a very luxurious cruiser. And that’s very obviously my opinion and the cruisers that are yachts and boldly labeled as such are/were about 65’ long. Fifty some feet? Perhaps but would depend more on fit and finish ... like the Riva.
And some say a yacht has her own crew and there are no skippers. Yachts are operated by captains.

Last edited:
My definition of a yacht is a boat I can’t afford. :)

Riva boats are clearly yachts. I make that judgement by the extreme fit and finish. They even grow their own wood and it ages for years in their drying sheds before being used on a boat. All (or most ?) of their hardware like cleats are/were made by Riva. And the cleats are designed to mate with the toerails or whatever else they are attached to.

Wifey B: Ooops......mine is just a boat. :)

And I have a question. Why is the cockpit on a plane in the front and on a boat in the back? :confused:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom