Filter Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
I know this has been discussed in other threads but can't find them, storing Racor and other fuel/oil filters in the engine room. Bad idea? OK to store them there? Obviously I'm wondering about the heat....

Last edited:
I don’t think it will hurt them, just keep them dry. I keep mine under the aft cabin berth.

I kept mine in the engineroom in a nice big wood cabinet. However I've always thought that vacuum sealing them would be better to keep moisture out.

I store mine in the engine compartment. I do however put a heavy plastic bag over those that are not already plastic wrapped.

Things I want to keep dry I seal in my food vacuum sealer. I don't do filters, but do spare parts like pumps, electrical items, and injectors. You can buy desecant (silica gel) in bulk on ebay and Amazon.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. I remember someone recommending to vacuum seal in packets of, I believe it is called "Oxygone", to remove any remaining oxygen in the sealed bag. Makes sense to me at least. Again, I was just wondering about the heat of the engine room.

I keep mine in a storage space in the dehumidified part of the boat. The PO stored filters in the engine room. Some of the metal canned secondaries had rust on the interior bare steel. Wasn't sure if that was from lack of boat use heating and drying the engine room or what. Decided that tools, filters, and other space parts were going to be stored in a dehumidified area.

Ted

I keep them in the lazarette in a hazmat container which has an excellent seal on the top and keeps them dry and clean, and it's cheap.

Tupperware sounds like the easiest solution. Relatively air and moisture tight. Throw a couple of desiccant packs in there and you're good to go.

I use one of these, the twenty gallon size runs about fifty dollars, they're quite rugged and have a screw lid that can't come off accidentally and have a gasket so they're air and water tight. poly overpack salvage drums.jpg

Target even has gasketed Tupperware type containers of all sizes. Small ones they sell to take soup or messy foods to work in, and larger to keep clothes fresh in.

Moisture...in Qatar? well OK then.

The ocean is full of it.

Moisture is always an issue. I find surface rust on my installed filters by the time they are due for a change.
The heat of an engine room wouldn't worry filters, otherwise you wouldn't want to use them in there.

Last edited:
Moisture...in Qatar? well OK then.

Well we do have a wee bit of coastline here. And when the air temp is 130 degrees and the water temp 93 degrees, it tends to get quite moist.

I was cruising the harbor a few Augusts ago, in my little boat, fast with the wind blowing, at night, and I almost fainted. Had to stop the boat and dump bottles of laban/yoghurt and juice down my throat. Body just couldn't cool down.

Come to think of it, you guys have any job openings in the PNW????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 4.06.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 4.06.14 PM.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 62
Vacuum sealer.

Filters of all type are sold quickly and seldom sit on a store shelf for months , never mind years.

All these items are cheaper when purchased by the case , so seal them and don't worry.

Thanks guys, appreciate you taking the time. Never thought about an airtight bucket like the yellow ones above. Might work very well down below. What would work better is a square/rectangle airtight container....don't see any in my searches though. I'm sure they are out there.

I’ve always stored my filters in The engine room in a non vacuum Tupperware container, never had a problem but I’ve never had an engine room fire either.

A fellow with a sistership to mine slid his into a pvc irrigation pipe screwed to the ceiling of his engine rooms. There was a slot cut to get your finger into to slide the filter out and a cord on the end to keep the from coming out. If you change them on a regular schedule they won’t have time to rust.......

I’ve always stored my filters in The engine room in a non vacuum Tupperware container, never had a problem but I’ve never had an engine room fire either.

Thanks. I'm thinking that if I have an engine room fire worry about spare filters is going to be down the list a little!

A fellow with a sistership to mine slid his into a pvc irrigation pipe screwed to the ceiling of his engine rooms. There was a slot cut to get your finger into to slide the filter out and a cord on the end to keep the from coming out. If you change them on a regular schedule they won’t have time to rust.......

I think the old saying that a boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money is off. It's a hole in the water into which one puts inventive ways to store things. Thanks for the idea.

A fellow with a sistership to mine slid his into a pvc irrigation pipe screwed to the ceiling of his engine rooms. There was a slot cut to get your finger into to slide the filter out and a cord on the end to keep the from coming out.

That borders on brilliant! I'm stealing it!

I tried to duplicate this, but had trouble finding 5” pipe at Home Depot. I’m keeping my eyes open and will make a set when I find the correct pipe.

BTW, I get my filters by the case and they come individually sealed in plastic to minimize corrosion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom