Do you need to buy marine/Rv toilet paper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Just came across this test of various brands of toilet paper on YouTube.

Scott Comfort Plus single ply. 24 rolls for $5.48 at Walmart. Disclaimer, our toilet is a Marine Elegance that has a built in macerator. Nothing resembling TP comes out of the holding tank on pump-out.

I recall some time ago that Peggie Hall, the Headmistress, saying that any single ply tissue works well. Within a few hours of flushing with that kind of TP there is nothing left of it but tiny cellulose particles.

David

We use Charmin 2 ply extra strength. We have two marine head, the Elegance and a Raritan something, one of their better models prior to the Elegance. Both electric and fresh water. Never, ever had a problem. I avoid the so called marine paper, nothing much worse than stained fingers :D

Last edited:
I recall some time ago that Peggie Hall, the Headmistress, saying that any single ply tissue works well. Within a few hours of flushing with that kind of TP there is nothing left of it but tiny cellulose particles.David

Doesn't even have to be single ply...but not just any single ply either. If you want to find out whether any TP is safe to use in a marine toilet, tear off a sheet or two and put it in a mason jar or big glass of water. Come back in a couple of hours and stir the water. If the water is milky and all that's left of the TP is "snow," it's the same thing as "marine/rv" TP...but if the sheet(s) is still intact or mostly intact, try another brand.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Peggy, thanks for keeping it simple.

" Come back in a couple of hours and stir the water."

Some British folks prefer shaken , not stirred.

We use quality paper from home in our Nature's Head composting toilet. We do not see any paper other than a bit around the edges away from the stirring crank when dumping.

I have never used marine or RV toilet paper and I never had a problem in over 40 years.
I do what Peggy said, put a few sheets in a glass of water and shake it up. If it breaks up after being in the water 10 or 15 minutes it is safe to use in my boat.

We don't even bother to do the test. We just use the same stuff we have at home. The electric macerating toilet chews up everything... short of screwdrivers, wet wipes, and so forth.

-Chris

We bought whatever was marked "septic safe" at Costco or Sam's. Sometimes that was Scott's single ply..... which for the finicky quickly becomes double or triple ply with a fold or two... All worked great for over 6 years full time live aboard with one particularly high per-flush usage crew member included. Vacuflush heads.

I missed this thread. Larry pointed me to this thread, thanks again, after I made a duplicate post yesterday.

I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine. That is what we use at home because of our septic system. No sewer systems here. I'm planning to us PVC in the boat for our waste lines and only use sanitary hose for the connections to the toilet(s) and waste tank(s). I've read around the internet that PVC can help prevent smells and clogs. It's on the internet so it's gotta be true. :huh:

I've been following Ms. Peggy's advice for years with success - and the stuff is cheap, to boot.

I missed this thread. Larry pointed me to this thread, thanks again, after I made a duplicate post yesterday.

I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine. That is what we use at home because of our septic system. No sewer systems here. I'm planning to us PVC in the boat for our waste lines and only use sanitary hose for the connections to the toilet(s) and waste tank(s). I've read around the internet that PVC can help prevent smells and clogs. It's on the internet so it's gotta be true. :huh:

Ben- I have used PVC for poop over the last 35 years or so, first in a sailboat and now in my Silverton. PVC WORKS! And best of all it is less expensive than stinkie hoses. I suggest that you consider using electrical PVC 90 degree sweeps for corners rather than normal fittings that could lead to ‘stuff’ getting stuck making the turn.

Good luck—

I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine.

Maybe maybe not. Keep in mind that wet wipes are labeled "flushable" and "septic tank safe" but should NEVER be flushed down ANY marine toilet, manual or electric macerating (or household toilet either...they're causing million$$ in damage to municipal sewer systems all over the world). If you go with the results from the test in post #6 you can easily find out whether any TP is safe to use in a manual toilet. However, volume matters too. An overload of TP can clog any toilet, but the good news is, if you just wait an hour, a TP clog will dissolve on its own. Always add add water to the bowl of any marine toilet ahead of solids...if your toilet isn't designed to bring water in and hold it, use a cup from the sink. You'll use a lot less flush water and the bowl will stay a whole bunch cleaner if you do.

As for hard PVC being more reisistant to odor permeation than hose...that's true--of MOST hoses, but not all. And it's a lot cheaper. But it's really only suitable for long straight runs. Any installation that has more than one or two bends that are tighter than hard pipe can bend require inserting a radius fitting...very many of those and you'll spend the next 5 years chasing down which connection is leaking this time.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Ben- I have used PVC for poop over the last 35 years or so, first in a sailboat and now in my Silverton. PVC WORKS! And best of all it is less expensive than stinkie hoses. I suggest that you consider using electrical PVC 90 degree sweeps for corners rather than normal fittings that could lead to ‘stuff’ getting stuck making the turn.

Good luck—

I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine.

Maybe maybe not. Keep in mind that wet wipes are labeled "flushable" and "septic tank safe" but should NEVER be flushed down ANY marine toilet, manual or electric macerating (or household toilet either...they're causing million$$ in damage to municipal sewer systems all over the world). If you go with the results from the test in post #6 you can easily find out whether any TP is safe to use in a manual toilet. However, volume matters too. An overload of TP can clog any toilet, but the good news is, if you just wait an hour, a TP clog will dissolve on its own. Always add add water to the bowl of any marine toilet ahead of solids...if your toilet isn't designed to bring water in and hold it, use a cup from the sink. You'll use a lot less flush water and the bowl will stay a whole bunch cleaner if you do.

As for hard PVC being more reisistant to odor permeation than hose...that's true--of MOST hoses, but not all. And it's a lot cheaper. But it's really only suitable for long straight runs. Any installation that has more than one or two bends that are tighter than hard pipe can bend require inserting a radius fitting...very many of those and you'll spend the next 5 years chasing down which connection is leaking this time.

--Peggie

Thank you both for your replies. I'm hoping for a straight gentle run downhill to the tank. I'm probably not that lucky though.

Yes, RV toilet paper. There are some that are very nice to use. Additionally, as a lady I find it easier to use the adjacent shower head spray to rinse so no toilet paper is needed, except when actually needed. The clean water remaining on the body can be patted dry using the same cloth, hanging on the side of the tub or peg, that is used to wipe-down the shower or tub. Spread the cloth high in the compartment to be dryer and wash it weekly, so it is always clean and fresh.

I like Destinees idea, but the shower head is too far. Anyone installed a bidet with success?

Perhaps a longer hose......

I like Destinees idea, but the shower head is too far. Anyone installed a bidet with success?

Perhaps a longer hose......

Now there is a novel approach to cleaning oneself while aboard. I'm sure it's been done, air drying and all, or is that hair drying? :lol:

Raritan offers the Marine Elegance with a Bidet option, and a number of bidet seats available from other sources. There's just one thing that makes any bidet impractical on most recreational boats: there are no DC models, they all require 115v ac power.

--Peggie

We never flush anything in the head that didn't come from a human.

we go to walmart, and buy their WHITE CLOUD! also do the terlit paper test, get a jar, like a pint, or a little bigger, fill with water, put a coupla pieces of paper in, close the lid, and shake good 3 or 4 times, if it falls apart, use it!! ...clyde

Practical Sailor just published some test data on this question:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_70/features/Best-Marine-Toilet-Papers_12091-1.html?ET=practicalsailor:e39448:2321133a:&st=email&s=p_Waypoints020519

-evan

i`m getting answers that refer me to other toilet paper brands, etc! to all those writting, we checked them all! why pay more because it has the word MARINE/RV on it? clyde

Doesn't even have to be single ply...but not just any single ply either. If you want to find out whether any TP is safe to use in a marine toilet, tear off a sheet or two and put it in a mason jar or big glass of water. Come back in a couple of hours and stir the water. If the water is milky and all that's left of the TP is "snow," it's the same thing as "marine/rv" TP...but if the sheet(s) is still intact or mostly intact, try another brand.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Peggie...

We've been using Scott's since the day we bought the boat. Last summer a marina friend mentioned the brand he uses, and suggested we try the glass of water test. It only took a few minutes for our Scott's to outperform the brand he no longer uses! We use Scott's at home and on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom