Honda 30amp Compani

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How exactly are your shore power cords set up? In post #3 you say you have 50 amp but have 2 cords. That does not compute.
Since you have 240 and 120 VAC in your panel, I would guess you have a single 120/240v 50 amp cord. I can not think of a work-around to solve all of the 240V loads, especially since both battery chargers are 240V.[/QUOTE

His boat comes with a reverse "Y" adaptor (twin 30 to one 50)
Please see section 4-10 of the manual for his boat that he linked in post #17.

Phasing

What I was trying to learn is that the companion unit has a 30 amp ( physical receptive size) and if I had 2, could I phase them so that I am using two like in a home and could use my 2 x30 amp line on them to make 240 volts and I know that they would have to be in the proper phase configuration. What I think I gleaned is that I can t do it , it won’t work. I did buy a normal Honda and will have an emergency way with it and a separate 120 battery charger to charge the batteries. The boat has a 240 volt charger to charge the batteries. The 240 system is more efficient as in wiring but such a problem away from the dock with a gen failure. Thanks to all

"Can you imagine the noise and vibration from one of those in that boats cockpit?"

Folks can either place them in the dink astern or hang them from a davit to quiet noise on board.

Either way the rest of the anchorage wont love ya!

Last edited:
NEVER enough breakers!!!
We need to have the ability to isolate 'parts' assigned to "house batteries" Just MO

Yes, it will produce 230V according to the specs, but since it has a three pin plug it doesn't have a neutral to make 115V, so you can't run your microwave or coffee pot from it.

David

Hmmm, do we know the iso xfmr does’nt have a secondary CT? It should.

Diver Dave has an excellent point. It could be 240/240 .

It could be also be 240 - 120/240.

Only a real inspection will tell. Take a good hard look at the spec. plate and terminals and draw them or take a GOOD, CLEAR photo that can be blown up so we can see the markings.

It should also have a 208v tap on primary.
When i say it should; i really mean, i would want it to, and these are very low cost option adders on a transformer.

A step-up/step-down industrial transformer will solve this problem. We used a heavy duty transformer when we sailed our 120-volt boat to Europe and used it without problems for five years in Europe. It took a few minutes to convert it back to 120-volt service when we returned to North America.

My last 2 boats, Jefferson 46 and Tiara 43 both had 50A 240 volt. Only equipment using 240v was the Air Conditioning units and the a/c cooling water pumps. As I recall the 120v electrical equip tent powered using only leg of the 240v power supply. Generators (Onan and Westetbeke) also supplied power @ 240v. Also each had 30A shore power plug. No Air Conditioning.

Could OP’s 2np power cord be a 30A?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom