Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #165
Fish53
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Words/Titles

They are used for the process of designating and/or differentiating circumstances when comparing one item to another and recognizing one item from another.

Therein the word[s]/title[s] gain a definable position, a moniker if you will.

Some times the word[s] used are directly consistent with what an item actually accomplishes - i.e. Working Trawlers trawled nets for catching seafood. Pleasure Boats took people on fun cruises. Speed Boats went fast to win races. Tug Boats tugged ships and other things into placements. Yacht used to be for sailing boats only.

Times change, peoples' tastes alter for word use/definition. Advertising works wonders to twist precepts of one word/title to have it's previous meaning morph into another meaning. i.e. the word Trawler now being readily affixed to what used be called Pleasure Boats or Criusers.

Does it really matter - not too much. I still call vessels "Pleasure Boats" such as is often the case for boats belonging to members of TF. That's because I was brought up on and around the water using that moniker in mid 20th Century. I'm sure persons younger, who were first introduced to pleasure boats having the term trawler affixed will always feel comfortable calling their boats a "Trawler". Does it really matter - not too much - at all!!

It's just a word, and like you said to those who's experience with the word "trawler" is as a pleasure boat are comfortable with it in that context, as am I. As I'm feeling a bit misunderstood and at risk of marginalizing myself on here (probably on a few dozen ignore lists by now) I'll stop trying to explain and deal with my issues on my own because there's no need to unload them here.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote