Definition Of Full Displacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Art, I should also point out that I didn't intend that as an insult, it's just the lament of an old trawlerman that's lost too many friends.

Loggers in the U.S. have the highest occupational death rate at 136 per 100,000. Fishers are second at 86. Police are 14th at 15.

Greetings,
Mr. 53. "Is that FD or SD?" Well, according to Mr. NW I'll have to get my buttocks classified and I guess that means some sort of inspection and subsequent ruling...Oh dear...

200.webp

Like many changes with life and generatins in general... either you adapt or get left behind.

All the real boaters I know, they know the general description of a recreational trawler and use the term appropriately.

Fish guts and nets...yeah...sure....but for decades, recreational trawlers hanve been built, used and recognized by an industry and boaters that "get it".

I'm not challenging your comment but I'd like to share an observation. The word trawler comes from the name of the net they're designed to tow, a trawl hence trawler. So if your boat's designed to and does tow a net you can claim the title "trawler". But in truth I couldn't care less what you call your boat, call it a cucumber or a trolley, or even a trawler, it's fine with me really, I didn't post what I did to irritate, I did it to whine a little about memories.

I'm not challenging your comment but I'd like to share an observation. The word trawler comes from the name of the net they're designed to tow, a trawl hence trawler. So if your boat's designed to and does tow a net you can claim the title "trawler". But in truth I couldn't care less what you call your boat, call it a cucumber or a trolley, or even a trawler, it's fine with me really, I didn't post what I did to irritate, I did it to whine a little about memories.

Well put!

Reason I don't term pleasure boats I own as trawlers... is, well... simply cause in my mind of boating for 60 plus years - they simply are not what I know a "trawler" to be.

BTW: It matters not to me what anyone calls their boat. Including "Trawler"... which got started as a pleasure boating term for advertising/marketing purposes. Madison Ave should be pleased - it worked well!

Another thought re FD definition.
A vessel that displaces it’s full weight whether running or stopped.

Well put!

Reason I don't term pleasure boats I own as trawlers... is, well... simply cause in my mind of boating for 60 plus years - they simply are not what I know a "trawler" to be.

BTW: It matters not to me what anyone calls their boat. Including "Trawler"... which got started as a pleasure boating term for advertising/marketing purposes. Madison Ave should be pleased - it worked well!

"A rose by any other name is still a rose". They use sex and chrome, subterfuge and outright lies to sell us stuff so really what's the harm of taking the name of a workboat type and applying it to a pleasure boat? There's trawlers that aren't trawlers and tugboats that aren't tugboats but there's no harm being done. Some people call what McDonalds sells food, I wouldn't eat it but many do, if you swallow it it's food I guess. I would just like to retain the luxury of recalling the image of an old eastern rig trawler with scratched and worn paint and the permanent smell of diesel fuel and fish blood as my definition of a trawler. Just me, everyone else is entitled to their own definition. And FD of course is not mandatory but desirable. There's an old English saying that goes " It's not fish you're buying it's men's lives" that always meant something to me, perhaps these days more than ever. It just seems appropriate that while we use some terms with abandon it may be with some respect we remember their origins while deciding on what color for our countertops or the pattern of our curtains.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 53. "Is that FD or SD?" Well, according to Mr. NW I'll have to get my buttocks classified and I guess that means some sort of inspection and subsequent ruling...Oh dear...

200.webp

Is there a government department of asspection? I hear with the shutdown they're a little "behind" in their work.:D

"A rose by any other name is still a rose". They use sex and chrome, subterfuge and outright lies to sell us stuff so really what's the harm of taking the name of a workboat type and applying it to a pleasure boat? There's trawlers that aren't trawlers and tugboats that aren't tugboats but there's no harm being done. Some people call what McDonalds sells food, I wouldn't eat it but many do, if you swallow it it's food I guess. I would just like to retain the luxury of recalling the image of an old eastern rig trawler with scratched and worn paint and the permanent smell of diesel fuel and fish blood as my definition of a trawler. Just me, everyone else is entitled to their own definition. And FD of course is not mandatory but desirable. There's an old English saying that goes " It's not fish you're buying it's men's lives" that always meant something to me, perhaps these days more than ever. It just seems appropriate that while we use some terms with abandon it may be with some respect we remember their origins while deciding on what color for our countertops or the pattern of our curtains.

Don't worry, I doubt you could irritate me. :D

Fast food....is still fast food....no one is claiming it replaced home cooking...great diner food or a 5 star restaurant. A lot of nice restaurants I have eaten at have pretty bad food too...but they are still called restaurants and still serve food.

I have memories and likes and opinions too...but it doesn't change the fact that for the 60 years I have been involved with pleasure boating a certain "look" of boats have been called recreational trawlers. More recently Tugs have surfaced like pointed out.

I didn't come up with the different boat labels, but I also learned the ropes and used the terms as appropriately as I can to get along with those deeply immersed in the industry....recreational boating....and those that interfaced with it.

When I flew in the USCG...my memories of eastern rigged, wooden trawlers were usually the slick they left right after they sank....only one was left in my area of operations when I retired. They were replaced often by rerigged gulf shrimpers, becoming everything from hydraulic clammers to day scallopers to longliners and plain old trawlers. My old boss even converted one old shrimper into a whaleback crewboat. Times and names change...as do the fisheries. And no one I know in those circles quibble about names like they do here on TF. They see, adapt and go on....

So no one using the term recreational trawler is doing it with abandon....in fact it probably grew out of respect for maritime tradition. But it is neither a new concept, nor is it inappropriate...but like any term it can be misused because of many reasons...just like the term full displacement.

Below is a converted shrimper/trawler/scalloper and now crewboat/utility.

Attachments

• commander.jpg
    commander.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Don't worry, I doubt you could offend me.

Fast food....is still fast food....no one is claiming it replaced home cooking...great diner food or a 5 star restaurant. A lot of nice restaurants I have eaten at have pretty bad food too...but they are still called restaurants and still serve food.

I have memories and likes and opinions too...but it doesn't change the fact that for the 60 years I have been involved with pleasure boating a certain "look" of boats have been called recreational trawlers. More recently Tugs have surfaced like pointed out.

I didn't come up with the labels, but I also learned the ropes and used the terms as appropriately as I can to get along with those deeply immersed in the industry....recreational boating....and those that interfaced with it.

When I flew in the USCG...my memories of eastern rigged, wooden trawlers were usually the slick they left right after they sank....only one was left in my area of operations when I retired. They were replaced often by rerigged gulf shrimpers, becoming everything from hydraulic clammers to day scallopers to longliners and plain old trawlers. Times and names change...as do the fisheries. And no one I know in those circles quibble about names like they do here on TF. They see, adapt and go on....

So no one using the term recreational trawler is doing it with abandon....in fact it probably grew out of respect for maritime tradition. But it is neither a new concept, nor is it inappropriate...but like any term it can be misused by those because of many reasons...just like the term full displacement.

I don't mind using the word trawler anyway anyone wants, also I realistically don't believe anyone cares where it came from with few exceptions. The "slick" you referenced is the tombstone of an era, the remnant of an honorable tradition that is little honored today, it seems fitting that it's legacy is now floating in marinas all over the world with martini's being served aboard and coasters to protect the brightwork. Best we move on and leave the dead and sunken to their rest and obscurity.

Last edited:
The "slick" you referenced is the tombstone of an era, the remnant of an honorable tradition that is little honored today, it seems fitting that it's legacy is now floating in marinas all over the world with martini's being served aboard and coasters to protect the brightwork. Best we move on and leave the dead and sunken to their rest and obscurity.

Fish, I have restrained myself from posting this the last couple of times you mentioned it. But can't anymore.

Are you seriously suggesting that calling recreational boats trawlers, is an insult to those who died working on commercial trawlers?

It seems that you are, repetitively.

Sorry, that's bunkum IMO.

Fish, I have restrained myself from posting this the last couple of times you mentioned it. But can't anymore.

Are you seriously suggesting that calling recreational boats trawlers, is an insult to those who died working on commercial trawlers?

It seems that you are, repetitively.

Sorry, that's bunkum IMO.

I'm not "suggesting" anything, I'm actually saying something and you've simply misunderstood it. I certainly don't take the use of the word "trawler" applied to pleasure boats as an insult. An oversimplified clarification would perhaps be that I don't care about the words usage but the two forms here are not the same thing for reasons I don't expect most to understand. I'm sorry that this is disturbing to some, especially as I don't know why, that's an issue they'll have to address themselves.

Seems misunderstanding is simply where the point of reference is....because there is no right or wrong here.

Words/Titles

They are used for the process of designating and/or differentiating circumstances when comparing one item to another and recognizing one item from another.

Therein the word/title gain a definable position, a moniker if you will.

Some times the word used are directly consistent with what an item actually accomplishes - i.e. Working Trawlers trawled nets for catching seafood. Pleasure Boats took people on fun cruises. Speed Boats went fast to win races. Tug Boats tugged ships and other things into placements. Yacht used to be for sailing boats only.

Times change, peoples' tastes alter for word use/definition. Advertising works wonders to twist precepts of one word/title to have it's previous meaning morph into another meaning. i.e. the word Trawler now being readily affixed to what used be called Pleasure Boats or Criusers.

Does it really matter - not too much. I still call vessels "Pleasure Boats" such as is often the case for boats belonging to members of TF. That's because I was brought up on and around the water using that moniker in mid 20th Century. I'm sure persons younger, who were first introduced to pleasure boats having the term trawler affixed will always feel comfortable calling their boats a "Trawler". Does it really matter - not too much - at all!!

:popcorn:

Words/Titles

They are used for the process of designating and/or differentiating circumstances when comparing one item to another and recognizing one item from another.

Therein the word/title gain a definable position, a moniker if you will.

Some times the word used are directly consistent with what an item actually accomplishes - i.e. Working Trawlers trawled nets for catching seafood. Pleasure Boats took people on fun cruises. Speed Boats went fast to win races. Tug Boats tugged ships and other things into placements. Yacht used to be for sailing boats only.

Times change, peoples' tastes alter for word use/definition. Advertising works wonders to twist precepts of one word/title to have it's previous meaning morph into another meaning. i.e. the word Trawler now being readily affixed to what used be called Pleasure Boats or Criusers.

Does it really matter - not too much. I still call vessels "Pleasure Boats" such as is often the case for boats belonging to members of TF. That's because I was brought up on and around the water using that moniker in mid 20th Century. I'm sure persons younger, who were first introduced to pleasure boats having the term trawler affixed will always feel comfortable calling their boats a "Trawler". Does it really matter - not too much - at all!!

:popcorn:

It's just a word, and like you said to those who's experience with the word "trawler" is as a pleasure boat are comfortable with it in that context, as am I. As I'm feeling a bit misunderstood and at risk of marginalizing myself on here (probably on a few dozen ignore lists by now) I'll stop trying to explain and deal with my issues on my own because there's no need to unload them here.

I was born with an...

Oh, never mind.

It's just a word, and like you said to those who's experience with the word "trawler" is as a pleasure boat are comfortable with it in that context, as am I. As I'm feeling a bit misunderstood and at risk of marginalizing myself on here (probably on a few dozen ignore lists by now) I'll stop trying to explain and deal with my issues on my own because there's no need to unload them here.

You know Fish, if someone bought a commercial trawler, and rebuilt it as a personal cruiser, then technically it would no longer be a trawler anymore anyway.

Personally I used to get all worked up when someone called my boat a "yacht" which was too pretentious for me.

You know Fish, if someone bought a commercial trawler, and rebuilt it as a personal cruiser, then technically it would no longer be a trawler anymore anyway.

Personally I used to get all worked up when someone called my boat a "yacht" which was too pretentious for me.

Whoa, careful, to imply that it may be inappropriate to call a pleasure boat a trawler can result in blurred vision and unexplained headaches.:eek:

Whoa, careful, to imply that it may be inappropriate to call a pleasure boat a trawler can result in blurred vision and unexplained headaches.:eek:

He didn't actually say that.

Greetings,
Mr. 53. "...blurred vision and unexplained headaches." You mean it's NOT the daily tot (usually less than a gallon) of rum? Who knew?

200w.webp

Mr. A. East coast humor. Probably banned in Cali...

Last edited:
He didn't actually say that.

You're undoubtedly right, I have no idea where I got the idea " technically it would no longer be a trawler", not that I actually care. I can probably just use some help with what "imply" means.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 53. "...blurred vision and unexplained headaches." You mean it's NOT the daily tot (usually less than a gallon) of rum? Who knew?

200w.webp

Have you ever noticed that those who need the dulling effects of rum most are usually the ones that it has the least effect on? Why is that?

Greetings,

200w.webp

Too many "snowflakes" here??!! LOL

Well I thought I tried to elevate the conversation, FD,SD, PDF and LSMFT were starting to get confusing.

Current POTUS - talk about confusing!

Just to keep this rolling, there are many SD vessels that are great and proven blue water vessels. It would be a tough call to say a FD Nordhavn 64 is a better blue water vessel than a SD Fleming 65.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom