Old 02-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #17
South of Heaven
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs1958 View Post
Had no idea people lived on their boats that far north!
How do they keep the water from freezing? I’m from Fl so it’s foreign to me. Sorry for the losses!
Well JRS: Most marinas in New England aren't equipped for winter liveaboards and don't allow them. But there are a several in Boston and in the Boston area that are well suited for them. (I'm sure there's many other NE cities that welcome liveaboards but I'm only speaking about my immediate area).

My marina has heated water lines and water bubblers. Water tanks are able to be filled in the winter.

The water bubblers (about 3 feet below the surface) circulate the water near the boats and do a decent job of keeping the surface flowing and breaking up any ice.

I also run an engine block heater.

If you're a true liveaboard and monitoring all your systems and the boats wellbeing then you'll be fine.....HOWEVER, if you're just leaving the boat in the water unattended and the boat is not winterized then you could potentially run into major problems.

Unattended boats with shoddy electrical work and an overall lack of ownership pride is what can potentially be catastrophic to a boat and a HUMAN. Not cool.

Here's a video of the water bubblers from my marina from a few weeks ago.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote