New PNW Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NorthernDiver

Hello to all Forum members! We are happy to be here, and expect to learn a LOT.

We (two middle-aged adults, two cats, no children) are long time sailors who are now hoping to spend our retirement in the PNW, living aboard, and regularly cruising in, a trawler.

Right now, I am reading posts about living aboard and about cruising in the PNW.

You found a good group of like-minded folks! Welcome aboard! :thumb:

Greetings and welcome!

Last edited:
Greetings! I lived aboard a sailboat in Ballard for years, had been away from boating for a long time and finally got back into it aboard an old Canadian fishing boat. The move from sail to power wasn't an easy decision to make, but we're extremely pleased with that decision.

Looking forward to sharing your experience!

Hi NorthernDiver - We're in "the same boat"! Or, rather, we were. My wife and I (middle-aged, with a 2.5 yr. old daughter and a cat) went from sailboats to a liveaboard trawler in the PNW 6.5 years ago, and LOVE it! You're in for a wonderful adventure. Enjoy every minute of it!

Former long-term sailors make good trawler masters. That's where watching water pass by the boat at seven miles an hour seems fast. Here leaving the Petaluma Channel in San Pablo Bay, CA

Attachments

• smooth waters.jpg
    smooth waters.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The point about being used to moving slowly through the water is excellent, and had not occurred to me!

We used to have a summer place on an island in Ontario, and got there with a 25 foot Grew inboard/outboard. While we could get it up on plane, we most frequently just poked along.

former long-term sailors make good trawler masters. That's where watching water pass by the boat at seven miles an hour seems fast.

exactly!

Northern Diver, welcome to TF from another Washingtonian who lives on the opposite corner of the state. We've boated in the San Juans and Puget Sound and that's some of the most beautiful waters you can boat in.

Welcome ND, keep us posted of your boat shopping experience. Looking forward to seeing pics of what you end up with. Also, where do you plan to keep her?

Welcome ND. We're always happy to talk about cruising in the PNW. We keep our boat in Seattle and live on it for 3 or 4 months every Summer (with our 2 cats). Let us know if you would like to get together.

Welcome to TF .

One of us is still working so we are currently living ashore. We had hoped to find a place somewhere in Seattle to moor a cabin-cruiser/yacht/trawler/slow-moving boat big enough to live on full-time --- but we have learned that the waiting time for a live-aboard slip will actually end around the time that wage-slave retires!

I am exploring this forum and the internet in general to find out whether anyone has chosen NOT to have a home port, but just cruise about from one PNW place to another (a miniature version of people who do years-long round-the-world cruises).

I am exploring this forum and the internet in general to find out whether anyone has chosen NOT to have a home port, but just cruise about from one PNW place to another (a miniature version of people who do years-long round-the-world cruises).

Check out the adventures of SV Yahtzee, a family that actually lived aboard a sailboat in the PNW for a few years with no home port or permanent slip. Andy Cross, his wife and two young sons blogged extensively about their time, and still do (even though they kinda-sorta moved ashore in Alaska a couple years ago).

Rolling With Yahtzee – Our family adventures living and cruising in Alaska and beyond

Andy is or was the editor of Three Sheets Northwest, a sailing/boating news aggregation site. Although it skews toward the sailing end of things, it's actually a very good resource for PNW boaters regardless of boat type.

https://www.threesheetsnw.com/

Darren,
Thanks for the link to Rolling with Yahtzee. Great blog and very inspiring!

Welcome Northerndiver, you are in the best cruising grounds in the world (IMHO), (and I've sailed in SoCal, the Chesapeake, Japan, Caribbean, Britain, PNW & BC and so forth. ) I recommend that you charter first that way you will get to know the waters, dealing with tides and rapids, the weather and most of all the various boats. NW Explorations handles Grand Banks, my go-to has been Cooper Boating out of BC (Vancouver, Sidney and Powell River) they have a selection of both power and sailboats in excellent condition. In any case best wishes

One of us is still working so we are currently living ashore. We had hoped to find a place somewhere in Seattle to moor a cabin-cruiser/yacht/trawler/slow-moving boat big enough to live on full-time --- but we have learned that the waiting time for a live-aboard slip will actually end around the time that wage-slave retires!

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/...le-1991-bayliner-4588-pilot-house-motor-yacht

Looks like great moorage is available with the boat

I saw that add on craig’s List. My first thought was $140,000 too much for a 4588. My second thought, be damned sure the marina is going to let you keep the spot as a liveaboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom