CHB teak deck question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Are there members who have flooded their teakhouse top/ decks on any of the various CHB model trawlers with straight fiberglass resin?:flowers:

What would be the reason to try this? What is the underlying problem?

Unless the teak is set into concrete with zero chance to flex (and even then it would) the only thing you would gain is one more cracked mess to remove down the road.

Unless the teak is set into concrete with zero chance to flex (and even then it would) the only thing you would gain is one more cracked mess to remove down the road.

I have to agree with the above.

For what’s it worth, I did see a teak deck that was covered with pickup truck bed liner. The owner swore there were no leaks but the planking telegraphed through the coating.

PMM did an article on truck bed lining about 10 to 15 years ago. I spoke to the owner several years after he had it done. Said it had held up very well. The deck where the teak telegraphed through was a deck that he did not sand down smooth. One deck he sanded and one deck he didn’t sand. Overall he liked the results. Said he wished he had gone a shade lighter in color.

Fiberglass resin is brittle and is going to crack. If I was going to redo the upper teak I'd look into pulling the old teak, patching the screw holes and then lay down one of the new PVC teaks that are one piece. I don't mind patching fiberglass but I'm not any good at finish work. A PO pulled the lower teak on our boat and glassed it. It is OK , but you can see areas that needed another sanding or two.

My friend has a CHB 45 that the teak was covered with the same material as used on pickup truck beds. As noted above it does show a bit of the underlying teak seams. But it does seem to seal well particularly around the deck fill fittings. AFAIK he has no soft decks before or after this covering.

But it isn't very pretty- very utilitarian looking. That may be preferable to pulling up all of the teak, digging out any rotten core and glassing back a non skid surface which is very big bucks.

David

I used a product called Tuff Coat on the raised part of my forward deck. About 4’x8’. The deck was sound but had a huge stain that annoyed the heck out of me. Didn’t want to sand out my 40yr old teak. Cleaned, prepped and applied the base coat that soaked right into the wood. Then applied the dark sand colored over coat. Had granulated rubber in it so I used the special roller. I agonized for days about showing anyone due to the herresey of daring to cover teak deck with anything (I’ve read all the posts!). Loved it! Looked good. Still flexible. Seemed to completely seal. The wood didn’t show through but you could see the caulk lines. I would do it again.

This was on a DeFever 40. Don’t panic Krogenites!

Are there members who have flooded their teakhouse top/ decks on any of the various CHB model trawlers with straight fiberglass resin?:flowers:

Not over a teak deck, but some idiot PO did that to the nonskid on the cabin tops, some years before I bought this boat. You really don't want to do that, as the surface will crack into tiny bits, and will look terrible till you get rid of it.
Within the first couple of years, I removed it all. wore out a couple of cheap 1/2" chisels, but all of that "death valley parched" polyester resin came off. No, I haven't come up with the perfect solution, and I read these threads looking for same. In the interim, my paint solution seems to be working fine, as it can easily be redone whenever it starts looking tired, with little cost and minimal effort.

Back
Top Bottom