View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
StarChaser
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: Star Chaser
Vessel Model: 1982 Carver 3607
Chris,
I had asked how much a set of replacement parts would be and Calpeda sent me a new one in exchange for the old one. It had served for 34 years before it failed from a worn impeller. The new one failed because we took on water after we snagged an unmarked crab pot. THAT little escapade cost us a week in drydock resetting a strut.

This is one of the many reasons for doing not just a refit but a real overhaul. It's never been done, after the original owner sold her the owners seemed to take less care than the last owner until I got her. I looked at a lot of boats before I found this one. Great layout, 2 cabins, 2 heads, galley with 3 burners & oven, Frig/freezer, dropdown table that seats 4 adults comfortably, salon, 9x12 aft deck, upper & lower helms, twin diesels, etc. The original owner knew what he was about & Carver knows how to make the of the space that is available. Unfortunately, owner 2-5 were more likely to "make it work" rather than correct the cause of the problem. i.e. I remove a shoe box of wire nuts from the wiring harnesses. True I spliced the wires but they are soldered and shrink tubed.

John
StarChaser is offline   Reply With Quote