Flags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Inquiry* --* what flags (burgees, pennants, thongs,*etc.) do you fly when you are out and about on your boat?* How do you fly your flags if you have an arch?***** *Pics would be good.**** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 29th of January 2012 11:56:01 PM

I fly the American flag from the radar arch, starboard side. That is as far aft as I can mount it without interferring with getting on and off the boat or being interferred with by the dingy.

I fly a courtesy flag from the bow pulpit when we are in Canada. We do not belong to any yacht club so I have no club burgee to fly.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Monday 30th of January 2012 12:22:29 AM

Attachments

• dscn9930.jpg
    dscn9930.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 73
Seahorse (Coot's builder)*burgee for knowing which way the wind is blowing, and the national flag to show my registry.* Have a couple of special flags for special occasions for flying from the spreaders.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 30th of January 2012 01:39:55 AM

Attachments

• sails under suisun bridges.jpg
    sails under suisun bridges.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 73
  • anchor fist time.jpg
    anchor fist time.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 68
  • flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 70
KJ, it would have been polite to show what you fly (rather than just take and no give.)

markpierce wrote:
KJ, it would have been polite to show what you fly (rather than just take and no give.)
*I just*acquired the boat a couple of weeks ago. The boat is on the hard in SC having some work done on her. *I don't anticipate splashing her until Sept.

Right now, this is the only flag that I'm flying.

download.spark

I'd like to fly a TF burgee.*********** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 30th of January 2012 02:33:43 AM

KJ wrote:*
I'd like to fly a TF burgee.*********** KJ

*You are preaching to the choir.

One of my "special" flags is the "1st Place Vallejo Race" pennant the Coot's builder Bill Kimley won.

Attachments

• 1st place vallejo.jpg
    1st place vallejo.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 69
US standard ensign aft 3x5 and on a fiberglass whip at the bow a comissioning pennant .

This is the blue portion of the flag , used by US Capitol ships , as the boat was a USN boat.

Not strictly correct , but the whip is trimmed to show out air height for going under bridges.

Margaritaville flag on the bow. American flag on the stern, Texas flag on starboard spreader. My last Trawler World burgee wore out and I didn't replace it.

Attachments

• south texas oct 2005 trip 002.jpg
    south texas oct 2005 trip 002.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 91
I usually fly the US flag aft, sometimes the Monk owners flag MOA (in nautical flag letters) and MTOA (turtle) off the spreaders. I don't fly them often, they make a heck of a rattle or flapping noise very noticable at night, I bring the US flag in at sunset.
The MOA and MTOA flags got a bit grungy during our last cruise, I brought them home to wash and now, after washing them and putting them away I can't find them, happens all the time, I'm sure they'll show up sometime.
Sorry, no pics on hand.
Steve W

US Flag aft. Yacht club burgee on bow. Occasional silly pennant on starboard spreader.

National Flag (Canada) from the stern;

Yacht club burgee from the masthead;

Coast Guard Auxiliary pennant from the bow;

Courtesy Flag (when in US, or when our French son-in-law is aboard) from the Stb spreader

Dress ship flags from just above the waterline and over the highest points to just above the waterline, when partying (as in the attached photo, on the occasion af my birthday party.

Attachments

• boat fully dressed 2.jpg
    boat fully dressed 2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 81
US Stars and Stripes at stern, club or squadron pennant depending on activity on bow, USPS Ensign or officers flag on starboard mast. *In this picture the Bahamas courtesy flag is on starboard mast. *Sometimes a private signal on port mast.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 30th of January 2012 10:04:55 AM

Attachments

• abaco moonstruck hope town harbor.jpg
    abaco moonstruck hope town harbor.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 76
I'm lazy about flags. We fly a large US Ensign at the stern, on a line dropped down from our boom (If I remember to put it up).

If we are out on a yacht club rendezvous, we fly that burgee.

Carey wrote:
I'm lazy about flags. We fly a large US Ensign at the stern, on a line dropped down from our boom (If I remember to put it up).

Great minds.....Ditto!

Moonstruck wrote:
USPS Ensign

*I'm sure that the United States Postal Service appreciates that. Just don't go "postal" on us.
biggrin.gif

dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
USPS Ensign

*I'm sure that the United States Postal Service appreciates that. Just don't go "postal" on us.
biggrin.gif

*Moonstruck is called an express because she really hauls the mail!*
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
USPS Ensign

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

That's not saying much these days.
biggrin.gif

The Pony Express then would probably be faster than the USPS now. It takes three days here for a letter from Deer Isle to get to Stonington (6 miles). No joke.

dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
USPS Ensign

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

That's not saying much these days.
biggrin.gif

The Pony Express then would probably be faster than the USPS now. It takes three days here for a letter from Deer Isle to get to Stonington (6 miles). No joke.

*Well, OK, it's really because I love the uniforms.
biggrin.gif

I fly this Don't Tread on Me flag on the jack staff . It is actually the 1st Navy Jack (not the Gadsten flag adopted by the Tea Party). I like the sentiment.

Attachments

• j_beatty_flag_img_1250.jpg
    j_beatty_flag_img_1250.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 60
Got the yellow Gadsten flag.* Waiting for the occasion to fly it.

dwhatty wrote:
...Occasional silly pennant on starboard spreader.
Would that happen to be a pink burgee, David?

I fly our US colors from the stern flagstaff and my new Christmas gift "Remove Before Flight" burgee.

img_73860_0_5b607801ffa4b748638205f8a0f5c4d6.jpg

img_73860_1_aba414724cebb0911ef8df1897fc6530.jpg

No, those are my flare launchers for when I run aground.

KJ wrote:
Inquiry* --* what flags (burgees, pennants, thongs,*etc.) do you fly when you are out and about on your boat?
*We fly the US flag from the peak of the gaff (boom), our club burgee from the jackstaff on the bow, and courtesy flags from the starboard spreader.* The attached spreader photo was taken when were took friends from France on a cruise through the Gulf Islands a few years ago.* We were in Canada, the wife is French, and the husband is Scottish.

When we are in Canada without international guests on board we fly the Canadian Maple Leaf on top and the "proper" Canadian flag, the Red Ensign, below that.

If we happen to be on the boat, in port or cruising, on July 14 we fly a full-size French flag from the peak of the gaff and a US courtesy flag from the starboard spreader.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 01:20:27 PM

Attachments

• flags.jpg
    flags.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 56
  • p1060409.jpg
    p1060409.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 66
  • p1060387.jpg
    p1060387.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 64
Marin wrote:
If we happen to be on the boat, in port or cruising, on July 14 we fly a full-size French flag from the peak of the gaff and a US courtesy flag from the starboard spreader.
*What event is on July 14?

markpierce wrote:Marin wrote:

Look it up.

Marin wrote:markpierce wrote:Marin wrote:

Look it up.

Well, you learn something every day!* * I would have thought that the flag for La Fête Nationale would be the white surrender flag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom