View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Knot Fast

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Safety Improvements

Safety Improvements

As we outfit our Great Harbour 37 for cruising and living aboard I am on the lookout for ways to improve safety. It is a broad topic, but I want to share one “improvement” I have made and ask for your good ideas. There have been other thoughtful threads on “Safety Equipment”. My aim here is more along the lines of enhancements to promote safe living on a boat; at dock or at sea.

At a boat show, while touring a superyacht (not a Great Harbour) I notice non-slip tape on their wood stairs. This resonated with me. Some have carpeted stairs, which is another way to mitigate fall risk. My GH37 has beautiful wood stairs that have a personality: not all the steps are the same height, some steps have height-to-tread depth ratios that are a bit aggressive. I am often carrying stuff while on the stairs. My footwear varies or is none, and is sometimes wet. Then, of course, the whole thing may be rocking!

A fall by me or a guest could be devastating.

The 1st non-slip tape I tried was ugly and uncomfortable to bare feet – kind of like sandpaper. My 2nd try was great. It is ~clear textured plastic that adds some friction without bare foot discomfort or undo aesthetic compromise – pic below. I installed a small piece in an inconspicuous place. After a month, I removed it with no residue left behind. Affinity Anti-Slip Tape, Clear Textured Slip Resistant Safety Tread, 25 ft. Roll, $11, Amazon. My guess is it will have to be replaced periodically, maybe annually. Oh, and you have to love a boat project you can complete perfectly in 30 minutes!

What is your favorite safety improvement?
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote