Albin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyingboat

Albin 37 Palm Beach, Ray Hunt design.* Only 11 made, usually powered by TMAD 40B, 165 Volvo Turbo.* Does anyone have any experience or feedback about these boats.* Nice hull from what I can see and fairly roomy with a large forward walkaround berth.*

M Douglas, Georgia

-- Edited by flyingboat on Saturday 28th of January 2012 08:13:38 PM

I could of sworn I replied to this earlier today - but seems my reply vanished.
Anyway - I have a 43' Marine Trader with two of the Volvo TAMD40b (I don;t think you meant TMAD), and they have 4,000 hours on them. I've had the boat for a year, and (knock on wood) have had no problems with the engines. They are quite smokey for the first 30 seconds when you start them, but other than that - they seem good.
I have all the factory / shop manuals for the engine, if you ever need them.

Thanks for the info and sorry for the typo on engines.* I have heard they are a little smokey at first.* How is your fuel economy and optimum rpm? i know your boat weighs a lot more, just loking for info.* I renovated a Bertram 1965 25 Express years ago, loved the boat.* On my second Bertram 20(just bought 3 months ago) great boat, upgrading electrical over the winter.* I've been looking for trawler 36-38' for the last 6 months that doesn't need too much work, just not enough time to have a serious project.*

I get about 1.5 mpg, but honestly have not had a chance to accurately measure it this summer. Will be more careful starting this spring. I believe I usually run at about 2,200 rpm. If I push them to WOT, they do blow alot of soot - could just be soot getting cleaned out of the engine though.
Alot of people don't like the Volvo's (I didn't before) but so far I'm happy with mine. Oh - I did have an ignition relay on one engine that gives me problems sometimes (a few times - maybe 5 or 6 in a year) - where I go to crank the engine, and the starter won't engage. Just a bad connection in an easy to reach spot - I've actually sometimes just had a friend wiggle the relay while I crank and it is fine. It's in the small green electrical box on the top/front of the engine. I'll replace it this spring, easy to get to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom