Hatch over berth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another advantage of a large hatch forward is when the weather is such that walking on deck would be unsafe, you might be able to handle things from the relative safety of your bunk through the hatch....
Yup! We don't have wide side decks, so going forward means walking on the cap rail on top of the bulwarks and holding on to the grab rails on the cabin sides. When the weather gets up during a night at anchor or on a mooring buoy, it's occasionally necessary to go out and check for chafe, adjust things, etc. Using the hatch makes this much more comfortable and safe.

FF, the old aspirin trick! Haven't thought of that for years and years. Of course, nowadays most aspirin are enteric coated, so you'd want to be sure and buy chewable 81 mg aspirin tablets, formerly called "Children's" aspirin. Rather than the little wood triangle I had a brass screw eye that the tablet just fit in. I never did get to see it tested in a rain! I wonder how long it takes to really dissolve.

+1 for the hatch and I agree that if given the option, I'd choose for a hatch away from overhead the berth. I also use this at anchor for the breeze through the cabins.

Breeze Booster - Breezebooster

boat2.jpg

Attachments

• Breeze Booster.jpg
    Breeze Booster.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Got a 20” Bomar hatch over the forward berth.
It is leaking...:rolleyes:
The hatch is probably original 2001, Bomar 1039.
Gasket looks tired, did an Amazon and Google search, but no hits for my specific hatch, most results are gaskets by the foot.
Any idea how to narrow it down to my exact model and type hatch?

Attachments

• A841F0CC-00DB-46F9-B853-6C3C078D9F51.jpg
    A841F0CC-00DB-46F9-B853-6C3C078D9F51.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 26
  • C1A17440-07A7-4843-B10E-A78CCC5E4482.jpg
    C1A17440-07A7-4843-B10E-A78CCC5E4482.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
"It doesn't matter if it leaks or was accidently left open and your conehead boat neighbor washes his boat and now your bunk is wet."

You bet "stuff happens".

A Dorade vent over the bunks will bring in all the air needed , esp with a computer fan and can easily be screened.

A hatch over the companionway can leak in to the cabin sole with out flooding the bunk.

Down Island some folks rig an automatic hatch closer so the boat can ventilate when ashore.

It consists of a small wooden triangle , glued in the hatch corner.

An aspirin is placed on a hole in the block , with a chop stick that fits the hole placed on the aspirin.

Works!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom