Decisions, decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monroesilk

My wife and I went to the Seattle Boat Show the other day intending to look at a couple of trawlers that we both agreed would work for us. Long range cruising along the West Coast and Inside Passage.
We had spent a couple of months debating between the Hampton Endurance 658 and the Endurance 72 Sky Lounge. Either boat would work for me, but my wife looks at things a little differently. Imagine my surprise when she chose the Prestige 750!
I have not spent much time aboard a Prestige Yachts vessel and wonder if any of you has an opinion as to which is the better boat. I have looked at Boat Test, Power & Motor Yacht and a couple of other sources and I have no idea which way to go. The Prestige is priced just under $3,000,000.00, while the E 720 is closer to $4,000,000.00. The Prestige is a hull that has been shipped to various boat shows for the last few months.

What do you have now?

Outa my league, but in that range a look at the Fleming 65 might be useful.

-Chris

Outa my league, but in that range a look at the Fleming 65 might be useful. -Chris

Yes for a top drawer SD vessel. The F 65 is a proven blue water vessel with the best resale value you could hope for. Important to look beyond the surface glitz. Also check out Outer Reef.

+1 for any size Fleming. Quality beyond most of its peers and not fancy, which is often skin-deep. The big KK's are also great cruisers and good quality.

Last edited:
You have to fall in love with the boat you buy. With the amount of money spent on a boat you need to say to yourself "That is my baby" as you walk down the dock to get onboard. Listen to your wife and remember "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

monroesilk, I don't think any of the yachts mentioned can be considered "trawlers." The engines may be able to reliably throttle back to 10 knots when you don't feel like going 20+ knots, but that's a completely different animal compared to throttling back to 7 or 8 kts when your top speed is 10 knots. The KK will do that.

You're considering a big and expensive purchase so it is assumed that you are an experienced boater. Have you clearly defined your requirements - irrespective of the layout/prettiness factors?

Choices

Number one rule - don't be in a hurry. :eek:

# 2 rule -- Don't buy the first one you see that you like. :facepalm:

Lots of good ones out there & you need to look at a lot of them to understand the market for a proper comparison. See what you like :flowers: & more importantly what you don't like !

Fleming 75 is a good choice.

Kadey-Krogen's in the 48 to 60 foot range are another excellent choice.

Nordhavn 62 is real nice or some of the newer Nordhavn's like the 63 or 72 or so, is another good choice.

But they are completely different animals.

Go look & try on as many different ones as you can. Ask your self how do you want it equipped ? Do you want A/C through out ? Heat system for Alaska ? How many staterooms for guests ? Navigation system ? stabilizer's & which types ? The list goes on.

Boat shopping can be fun, so enjoy yourself & also do some serious thinking about what type of fuel usage you find acceptable, What kind of range you want & what operational speeds are what your looking for & of course what your area of cruising will be ? the Med, Caribbean sea, east coast & Bahamas, or running up & down the west coast & Mexico? South Pacific, etc..

You need to ask yourself the serious question - Like do you plan to cross oceans or be a coastal cruiser ? :hide: -- makes a big difference in what type boat you need. -- Planning, semi-displacement or Full Displacement ?

So lots of considerations before you even get close to writing the check.

Also where are you going to keep it birthed ? What will that cost you & how much it's insurance will be ? What is the availability of birthing for a vessel in that length ? 40 to 50 footers can go almost every where - 75 footers, not so much, when it comes to slip availability. :nonono:

Maybe come weekend cruising out to the islands with one of us here on TF, or go do a charter.

You need to get some experience , because as of right now -- IMHO, your don't know, what you don't know - & may not even know what questions to ask. :facepalm:

So enjoy the getting there & learn a few things first & enjoy getting there as much as the arrival at the end destination.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Boat shopping can be fun, so enjoy yourself & also do some serious thinking

Hmm I don't know about that.

I've been flying around the world and obtaining quotes from shipyards in Turkey, Vietnam, India, Ukraine, China, Cambodia, Qatar and I can't remember where else.

Not sure I would label it as fun. Trying to design and spec-out a custom build is work.... okay, enjoyable work :)

Last edited:
I’ll say it. This seems like very creative writing. I caught the same feeling based on previous posts I half remembered.

Moving on....

MN
You raise a solid question. Why come to TF to get general advice on a $4M boat?

If you do a search, you will find a String on a new build Hampton. He spent a lot of time on different boats for many years prior and knew what he was looking for.

The Prestige has a lot of bling, but take a step back and look at the construction aspects and mechanicals. It would be best to take someone who really knows boats and not a buddy who says he does, and get their opinion. Pay for their time if needed.

We don’t know how you will use the boat and other particulars. Whatever works best for you and your wife, just my .02.

I’ll say it. This seems like very creative writing. I caught the same feeling based on previous posts I half remembered.

Moving on....

I always suspect a poster who joins and, right off the bat, flames one business (brokerage) while praising another.

Let me explain a little about my background: 32 years active duty USN. Retired as a Captain. Silk was my call sign while serving as an Aviator. Retired as the CO of an amphibious assault ship (LHA). Next command would have been a carrier. I have a vague idea of how to run a ship. Previous commands were aviation related.
I am a member of a 4 person LLC. We own, but do not run, 4 hotels, Hampton, Holiday Inn Express, Residence Inn and a Courtyard.
I did not join to quickly flame a particular dealer and praise another. We bought the 72' Hampton and ended up leaving it in Australia. Quick turnaround as we never really took possession as business plans changed and we bought the Courtyard Hotel. With the exception of the Courtyard, all properties are debt free.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service. Many here, myself included have done the same.

Apologies if this comes off the wrong way. Not sure if it is your intent, but your posts come off as someone trying to “impress” in a big way. You may get better responses here if you can tone that down a bit.

Your achievements and background are surely impressive, not sure anyone would disagree.

Why do I spend time here on TF? Well there is so much to learn here from people that have and are living the cruising lifestyle I am striving for someday. I’ve owned 4 boats, you’d think I’d know a lot right? Coming here and learning shows me I’m still in the pre-school class of boating knowledge. This is why I’m here. Great people willing to share their ideas and experiences about something I’m passionate about, but still kind of suck at!

I’d encourage you to talk less, ask more, and conversations will flow and you will really see the benefits of this place and the people that hang out here.

Cheers!

Agreed, and don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of questions.

I've been boating since I was eight years old and I still don't know a damn about trawlers, diesels, or long term cruising!

MN
You raise a solid question. Why come to TF to get general advice on a $4M boat?

It's not $4M, it's $4,000,000.00

When you spend $4M on a boat, every penny counts.

Thank you for your advice. I will try and "take it down a notch."
I got a little upset at having my motives, veracity and competence questioned by people who are basing their opinion of me on a few random sentences.

Thank you for your advice. I will try and "take it down a notch."
I got a little upset at having my motives, veracity and competence questioned by people who are basing their opinion of me on a few random sentences.

Solely based on my experience of many many years on many many boating forums.

When a brand new poster signs up and his first or second post is to flame one business and praise another, AND names those businesses, generally that poster never posted after that - he joined solely to vent against a business - or for a business.

I would always suggest that a new poster be around for awhile, get involved in the conversations, everyone gets to know who you are, then you can pass judgement. Though frankly I would be careful bashing any business on line by name myself.

More important questions to me, are: 1) are you planning to run this boat with just you and your wife? 2) If so what experience do the two of you have operating boats as a team? 3) Have you evaluated the ergonomics of these boats for such a purchase? As I have seen first hand, having run or been crew on large ships is almost irrelevant when it comes to a couple running a recreational boat on their own. Now if you are hiring crew, well then, have at it.

As for the boats in question, Yachtforum may be a better venue for opinions.
In that class of brand new boat, I'd be considering Offshore (in particular), Marlow, Ocean Alexander as well.

I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but I will say that I could never recommend a Prestige. I have a good friend who has run quite a few new and nearly new ones and the owners have encountered too many issues to suit me and difficulty in getting them fixed right the first time (or second or third). Prestige is a Jeanneau brand.

You're also looking at very different type boats on the Hampton vs. the Prestige. Hampton more for longer range cruising and the Prestige more for shorter coastal cruising.

Things can be taken out of context fairly quick on boat forums. We are all guilty of it, myself included. Good luck with your search.

If Prestige is a Jenneau brand, and Jeanneau is owned by Beneteau, it is possible Prestige have a balsa cored hull above and below the waterline.

My wife and I spent 2 years looking at boats. We looked at a boat that would be seaworthy and provide all of the “comforts of home” since we would be living aboard fulltime and circumnavigating the Caribbean over a three year period.

We admired the Fleming 65 and the Outer Reef 65 before buying oou 64 Grand Banks Aleutian. We were just onboard a Hampton Endurance and it appeared to be a nice well equipped and well built boat.

We have found the 64/65 is the largest boat both my wife nand I can easily handle. Dockage for bigger boats both in length and beam becomes both problematic and expensive. It’s 20 foot beam provides a great deal of room. It’s amazing how the beam can affect the liveability. The 5.5 draft is about the maximum for many shallow locations like the ICW and the Bahamas. We do pay attention to the tides in a number of locations to ensure we have adequate depth of transit in some areas.

The 2200 gallons of diesel provides an adequate 1500 mile range at 8 knots, although the boat with its twin 800 hp CATS will top out about 18 kts but fuel consumption is horrendous at these sppeds and range less than 500 nm.

We have a full beam master with three ensuites. Also a full kictchen with all of the conveniences (dishwashr, induction stove top, trash compactor, full sizeside be sideer refrigerator, etc.). The crew quarters and wet head have been converted to workshop with lots of storage for water gear (i.e., scuba gear, compressor, and water toys) as well as spare parts.

Fresh water capacity is unusually large at 650 gallons. Gray water and black water tanks are liberal as well at 150 gallons each. We have a 60 gallon per hour water maker that provides more than ample fresh water for anchor and boat washdowns as well as normal laundry with a built in washer and separate dryer.

The 20KW generator supports, along wth the port engine 140 amp alternator 800 amp-hr batteries at 24v. When fully charged these AGM batteries will carry us about 14-16 hours to a 50% discharge using 300 amp-hours.

While I could go on discussing navigation, communications, stabilization, etc. The point is that there are a tremndous number of factors to consider in finding the boat that most aligns with your boating plans. The better you can define where and how you want to use your boat the better the chances of finding a boat you will not regret in the future.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Can't provide technical advise as I am still learning myself. Can comment on Hampton 658 as i recently purchased one and am very happy with how the broker and factory handled everything. We made many and major changes to the boat to suit both my wife's and my desires/needs. Many changes after contract was signed without requests for additional money/change orders. I know many are saying that I must have overpaid, but I have purchased several new boats and any changes after contract resulted in a change order. A fellow TF has a blog regarding his 658. go to M/V Mahalo - Blog. We looked at many long range cruisers/trawlers and had a list of about 25 must have items from layout to furniture to mechanical systems and the 658 fit our bill. We looked at fleming, off shore, outer reef, grand banks, nordhavn which were all good boats but each had a disqualifying item when looking at our selection criteria. Just an FYI, most builders listed are looking at 18-24 months for a new build so put that in your planning. Good luck and a great problem to have.

We admired the Fleming 65 and the Outer Reef 65 before buying oou 64 Grand Banks Aleutian. We were just onboard a Hampton Endurance and it appeared to be a nice well equipped and well built boat.

I hate that they stopped building that boat. At one time we were strongly considering one.

Back
Top Bottom