Thread: Nordy 120
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #47
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatruptcy View Post
Yeah, I don't' know haven't read the findings.

You said they got Nordhavn to agree to a contract that they had no chance of fulfilling, what does that even mean? All the other you listed is only referring to performing on the contract. I don't know who's right or wrong but come on you can't just go spouting off things like that with no proof or insight into the issue.
Have you read the contract? If you had you'd understand. The biggest issue with it is they got Nordhavn to agree to "Westport" terms. Two very different boats, very different companies. Nordhavn can't build a Westport and Westport wouldn't agree to build a Nordhavn. There was also no possibility Nordhavn would deliver in time. I'd have to go back and read again to point out all the things, but Nordhavn admitted openly to not paying attention to many of them during the build.

I have plenty of insight into exactly what took place including Nordhavn and Conconi walking onto Westport boats to observe and then back to negotiations. Some of the elements of production and timing that are achieved by Westport are not by other builders. Their schedules are precise. But then they're also building boats they've built many of before. They don't offer the same on a brand new model. They didn't schedule their first 125 like they do 130's and 112's. They've got a new model they're working on but they haven't committed a finish date to anyone on it. Nordhavn has a good carpentry shop and can do good work, but it's not the same as Westport's in Port Angeles. Westport finishes everything up front, no commissioning process, but they don't bring the boat to the PNW from China either. Nordhavn had to get things done in Asia they don't normally.

I read the surveys. I think there were legitimate issues and reasons to complain. How long it would have taken Nordhavn to correct them all, I have no idea, but don't think it would have been quick. However, as a previous Nordhavn purchaser, the buyer knew that the first year is spent on a lot of fixes. No reason to expect that all to suddenly change. If it takes you 6 months to get everything worked out on a 50' boat, then how long should one expect you'll take on a 120' boat? Meanwhile, Westport delivers a boat that's fully read to go to the customer. Westport also doesn't offer all the flexibility on equipment that Nordhavn does. Take the hundreds of boats they've built and you'll only find one brand of generator, one brand of watermaker, one brand of crane, and for the most part with a couple of recent changes, one brand of engine.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote