ASD Alaska Preparations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We just got back from the Seattle boat show where we walked out with a pot puller with the attachment that coils the line on the deck. We also got 2 Scotty electric Down Riggers for the dink.

Last week I finished replacing all the hoses on my CATs. Good thing I did. Two pipes that feed and return raw water to the after cooler were corroded on the end where the hose connects.

This week we pulled all 550ft of chain and placed it on the deck for inspection and repainting. Kay is touching up some bright work on the inside.

Friday we order our polishing pads. March 1st we will be on the hard to cut, buff the hull and inspect zinks and running gear. Renew boat documentation.

April 1st, update all electronic charts and pay subscriptions to Spot, Sea Tow. Change engines oils and fuel filters. Same on Genny.

Start packing. Between now and departure, 1st of May we will also be going through the boat unloading stuff we don't need or use.

I guess we are now entering prep mode for ASD.:rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_3735.jpg
    IMG_3735.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3743.jpg
    IMG_3743.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3746.jpg
    IMG_3746.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 179
See you up this way in a couple of months.

See you in Southeast Alaska this summer!

We will be leaving about the 2nd week of May. Hope to see some of you folks up there.

Ah....Tom.....you forgot beer!!:D

Looking forward to crossing paths with this group up north. Leaving for SE late May.

Oh sure, now you get the pot puller and electric downriggers. Maybe if you had them last year, I could of caught more fish,ROFLMAO!

I like your chain painting pattern, will have to borrow that style when I get around to redoing ours. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to following along with your trip up north. One of these days we will undertake this journey!

Hey big guy, I didn't see anywhere in there where you clean off my bunk!

I wish. I'll be watching your posts.

You are ready to charge.

I can’t paint at our dock, so I laid out our chain similar to the way you did and inserted colored zip ties at intervals. I have used paint in the past, so I am hoping I can see the zip ties ok.

Good luck with your cruising.

Looking forward to crossing paths with this group up north. Leaving for SE late May.

Oh no my friend. That is the last item to be loaded. Why? Easy access and with so much, ballast is a consideration.:D

I like your chain painting pattern, will have to borrow that style when I get around to redoing ours. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to following along with your trip up north. One of these days we will undertake this journey!

Paint style is easy. White every 20 feet. The hundred markers are orange separated by black.

So 100ft would just be a single strip. 200 ft would be two orange stripes separated by black.

300 feet would be orange, black, orange, black, orange. So on.

I have 550 ft of chain. The last 200 feet at the end of the chain is all red. Alerts you that there is no more chain.

I have five 30 amp shore power cords. I cleaned them with a rag and some acetone. Then I inspected the plugs for burnt ends. Found 4 that were burnt and I replaced them. All on separate cords. If I have to replace both ends of the cord it would have been cheaper to buy a new cord.

Thanks to Crusty, I also applied dielectric to each end to help with corrosion.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3800.jpg
    IMG_3800.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 59
Think your gonna see less burnt ends with the use of the grease. Either that our Ive been luckier than you.

Pot Puller installed and wired in. This puller breaks down for easy storage and it has attachment that coils up the line in a nice neat pile. Great for putting 600 ft of leaded line in a cloths basket.

I also made an extension cord so I can use the puller on both sides of the boat. This was the ONLY place I could mount the power receptacle (on the stern) that has access to the generator battery.

Now time to move on the the next project. So many to choose from....

Attachments

• IMG_3809.jpg
    IMG_3809.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3811.jpg
    IMG_3811.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3810.jpg
    IMG_3810.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 49
Pot puller

We installed the exact pot puller as you a few years ago and just love it. The self coiling feature is an absolute must . Enjoy the crab and prawns.

:flowers:No Ken, He is planing to take advantage of "Old Al",:smitten::smitten::D

Charts Updated

I normally wait until April to update my charts, but Navionics had a 1/2 off sale until the end of February. So I updated all 3 of my charts online.

Attachments

• 20190206_160555.jpg
    20190206_160555.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190206_160605.jpg
    20190206_160605.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 40
You are ready to charge.

I can’t paint at our dock, so I laid out our chain similar to the way you did and inserted colored zip ties at intervals. I have used paint in the past, so I am hoping I can see the zip ties ok.

Good luck with your cruising.

I tried the coloured zip ties a few years ago. So far, after 3 or 4 years (could even be 5) they still look like new. No UV in my anchor locker, so the only way they are going to fail is if I were to anchor to exactly the same zip tie all summer long and allow that one to get exposed to the sun enough to deteriorate. Being in BC waters, we all know that isn't ever going to happen.
I especially like seeing the one that tells me the anchor is just emerging from the water, so I can prepare for it landing on the bow roller.

My anchor line is nylon and the fathoms are marked with inserted tags reflecting the depth. Neat and they stay put, however the downside is when they are coming aboard via the winch head, they wrap the line on the spool coming to a stop. I can live with it, but couldn't miss the chance to bitch.:banghead:

Paint style is easy. White every 20 feet. The hundred markers are orange separated by black.

So 100ft would just be a single strip. 200 ft would be two orange stripes separated by black.

300 feet would be orange, black, orange, black, orange. So on.

I have 550 ft of chain. The last 200 feet at the end of the chain is all red. Alerts you that there is no more chain.

Wow.
While in Ireland 3 years ago, I did the same pattern, orange and black.

Great minds think a like. ?

I'm thinking of combining my two rodes:
Primary with 400 ft chain
Secondary with 50 ft chain 250 nylon rode.
My stern anchor has 10 ft chain, 200 ft nylon. I want to leave that alone.

Any thoughts?

I normally wait until April to update my charts, but Navionics had a 1/2 off sale until the end of February. So I updated all 3 of my charts online.

I'll do that also.
Thanks for the heads up.

We are headed back to Sitka again. The plan is to leave Anacortes the first week in May. New to us boat this year. Hopefully Helen Marie is sold.

ASD, I use the same dialectric geese on my power cord ends. Regarding the cords, you use acetone to clean those? No issues with the fluid degrading them?

ASD, I use the same dialectric geese on my power cord ends. Regarding the cords, you use acetone to clean those? No issues with the fluid degrading them?

He watched me clean my cords, both the 50 and 30 amp cords this summer. Done it this way last 4 years with no apparent degradation. The acetone evaporates pretty darn fast. After cleaning, I spray down with heavy coat of WD40 and wipe down again a few hours later with a clean cloth. They look almost brand new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom