View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #77
boater3
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
Depends on what voltage input and output you need.

For variable 10-14V, I use pass through ones similar to what comes with the MikroTik Groove series. Cut off the barrel connector, wire it into your house 12V source, and you're done. Works with things like the MikroTik and other PoE devices that can take between 10-15V DC. Your device has to support it though, but it is the cheapest and lowest power since there is no conversion happening.

For stabilized PoE, I have used the Tycon series for years with great results. They have models with every voltage I've come across, both input and output.

The one I've used the most is the TP-DCDC-1224 which accepts input voltage from 9V-36VDC, and outputs a stable 24V PoE voltage.

I've used these on boats, cars, RVs and in solar applications in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks! I did come across the Tycon but at $50 each they were by far the most expensive.

I guess the big question is whether I need "stablized" power? My house bank is 12v but can run at a range of 12-14.5V depending on state-of-charge and whether its being charged. Can I do damage if the power level varies in that range?

If its safe to do so, I think I will just use the supplied PoE injector for the Mikrotik and cut off the end as you have suggested.

I will have an expensive modem/router I need 48v PoE for (it does not come with an injector) so need to decide between a cheap PoE injector, a Tycon, and stablized I guess?

Thank you
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote