Rudder Seals on ST44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am guessing I was sent the standard replacement kit based on the picture below? Anyone know what the new "reinforced" kit looks like and what exactly is different with it?

Ah yeah, that is certainly not the reinforced kit, which I hear is about $1,400 per side. Can you imagine charging that much for what you received! :)

That is most definitely the standard plasticky seal kit for $70 per side.

They charged me about $1,400 for both, which is apparently a 50% discount. Maybe it was “buy one and get the second one free!”?

Mine took 6 weeks as I believe they came from France.

Awesome, thank you for posting - the differences are obvious. Now let me see if I can get Beneteau to send this "new and improved" one!

Before you get too excited, be aware that this kit won't work on certain hulls. I think it only works on the older hulls.

For example, it is NOT compatible with my 2014 model according to Beneteau. :banghead:

I don't have the exact years or hull numbers for compatibility so you'd have to contact Beneteau.

Last edited:
Before you get too excited, be aware that this kit won't work on certain hulls. I think it only works on the older hulls.

For example, it is NOT compatible with my 2014 model according to Beneteau. :banghead:

I don't have the exact years or hull numbers for compatibility so you'd have to contact Beneteau.

Hmmm

I didnt think there is any difference between the 2012-2019 ST44 hulls?

In anticipation of the rudder tube replacement, does anyone know the level of difficulty in removing the originals?

If they were bedded with 3M 5200 (or equivalent) it could be a real effort to get the old tubes out.

If you don't know do you have a good contact at Beneteau?

Many Thanks!

I don't think anything in the rudder system would be bedded by 5200. I think the plastic seals should come out easily and the rudder should drop right out. I've never heard that it was a difficult job.

The 5200 that LMC used was on the metal pipe flange not on the plastic sleeves, My current sleeves and o-rings were coated with waterproof grease as they were assembled. Three months and no leaks.

LindaLee

In anticipation of the rudder tube replacement, does anyone know the level of difficulty in removing the originals?

If they were bedded with 3M 5200 (or equivalent) it could be a real effort to get the old tubes out.

If you don't know do you have a good contact at Beneteau?

Many Thanks!

Have you made any progress?

Mine were ordered a couple weeks ago.

Wish we could hear from someone that has had these installed what the installation was like and whether it solved the issue!

Rudder seals
The 5200 was put around the main brass tube flange to hull not around the white plastic bearing tube.Its a easy job.
Bob Nordstrom
2005 ST 42

Rudder seals
The 5200 was put around the main brass tube flange to hull not around the white plastic bearing tube.Its a easy job.
Bob Nordstrom
2005 ST 42

I am trying to figure out if its not such an easy job on the ST44. I have heard from a couple folks that fiber glass work is needed but no specifics.

I’m scheduled for this work in early October. I’ll let you know.

New brass rudder sleeves / seals were installed recently. Mechanic indicated that the old plastic ones were not difficult to remove. Labor charge was about $1,500 for the total job.

Attachments

• E4Zh6H2gQtaogewqSHChNA.jpg
    E4Zh6H2gQtaogewqSHChNA.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 2k8BFCVXS8m49SmrqMeEAg.jpg
    2k8BFCVXS8m49SmrqMeEAg.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 102
Looks great. Thankfully, my port rudder is leak-free after they replaced the seal. Starboard has been fine.

New brass rudder sleeves / seals were installed recently. Mechanic indicated that the old plastic ones were not difficult to remove. Labor charge was about $1,500 for the total job.

Thank you for the update! Hoping to have mine installed over winter.

So interesting development... have a Beneteau rep and yard currently looking at my rudders... At first I was sent plastic parts (as pictured) and then I requested the new design (and then metal was sent as pictured). I am being told that it appears that I have the same metal ones currently installed as the ones that I received... does anyone have a picture of what the plastic ones looked like? We are trying to figure out what needs to be done!

Attachments

• leaky rudder seal.jpg
    leaky rudder seal.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 123
  • rudder tubes plastic.jpg
    rudder tubes plastic.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 99
  • rudder tubes.jpg
    rudder tubes.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 99
ST 42 rudder bearings

The bearings(should be called bushings) in the 42 are two plastic sleeves with o-rings per side. They slide top and bottom into the metal pipe that is bonded to the hull. Then the rudder is slide up into the boat. My mechanic also put a ring of 5200 around the hull bottom to metal sleeve before replacing the rudders.
No leaks.
Bob Nordstrom

If I am leak-free come spring, my two brand new brass rudder tubes will be for sale. PM me if interested.

My rudder seals are leaking again after four years and I am looking at bottom paint this year so I need to fix this as well. Trying to decide if the reinforced seal kit will actually be a permanent fix or if I should just get the standard seal like I did four years ago and plan on doing this every time bottom paint is done.

Boat is a 2012 ST44 Hull# 39

Thanks,
Dallas

Last edited:
Dallas,

I had the brass kits installed 15 months ago which seem to be holding fine.

These two brand new reinforced rudder seal kits are collecting dust on my shelf. Happy to let them go for a hefty discount. Thanks!

rudder seals

I have a 2008 and replaced rudder seals two years ago, they are now leaking again.

Has anyone heard if a better fix has been developed by Beneteau?

Thanks

I have a 2008 and replaced rudder seals two years ago, they are now leaking again.

Thanks

Do you have the metal "reinforced/updated" version or the plastic tube?

Thanks

It's a flawed design (obviously). They have a new setup that Mystery alluded to, but it only fits on certain hulls. They can tell you based on your hull number.

I sold my ST44 and wouldn't buy another Beneteau based on their lack of support and the subpar local dealer. I had to fend for myself far too often, especially for complex issues.

My understanding is there are two parts; the brass rudder tube/nut kit (bottom picture in Mystery's post 1/17/19 above) and the plastic bushing kit #61140 (middle picture in Mystery's post 1/17/19). The plastic bushing kit goes inside the rudder tube kit. My understanding is that these two parts are the original design and have not been changed/improved/upgraded. Mystery, here's where I'm confused, is there another rendition/part or upgrade that is different from what you've got pictured and what I currently have? Hope this is clear! Thank you very much for your help on this! Fred

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom