Slowly Getting Through The Pre-Season Projects!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just came home today after a couple days out fishing. One night on San Pablo Bay (solo w/ no night fishing) and one on Montezuma Slough with Giggitoni in his GB42. Had great wx conditions but too much grass to fish after the storms.

One half mile from our planned overnight anchorage, my port engine temp headed toward 200. I had been watching it all weekend since it was steaming more than normal, but all temps were normal. It was a regular exercise to check the temp, check the flow...check the temp, check the flow...
A check of the water flow when it spiked confirmed the worse...nothing! A quick shutdown and single engine anchoring followed.

A brief (15-20 min) look at the impeller confirmed it was fine. The next item, the oil/tranny coolers, were just replaced several months ago and since the impeller was whole, I knew it had no fragments blocking flow. Next down the line...I just finished the having a radiator shop clean the HX a few months ago but it now, apparently, it needs to come back out to get to the manifold. I knew I was living on borrowed time...it's been expected for a while.

So I came home single engine against up to 3 kts of current.

So my list only has one item...

One Important Point in Fact - For Twins! :thumb:

What exactly do you think the manifold issue is re water blockage?

In all honesty...delayed maintenance. I already replaced the stbd manifold years ago. All the other components of the port cooling system were serviced or replaced but I was still watching the big ticket item...the port manifold.

Just trying to spread out the expenses. Now I'm there.

It's nice having twins to allow some flexibility with safety for the budget conscious.

:blush:

But what exactly is the issue with the manifold?

If it's anything like the other side, it's becoming restricted and needs replacement. That's what happens to manifolds.

We're hauled out this winter, living in a rented dirt home for the first time in 3+ year's. Yuck.

Luckily this allows us to not have to put the tools away so we can make dinner or sleep in the bed. Not that we have that many projects. Mostly just taking care of all those small projects in case we sell it in the spring. General maintenance, of course, as well: new bottom paint, zincs, impellers, the generator hx got a cleaning and painting, we'll finally put that new nonskid in the cockpit once it warms a little, and I have a scupper and a hatch that need to be re sealed after last season.

What did the galvanizers say about doing the chain?

They do the separating with hammers. I took the anchor and chain up last Tuesday and looked at a completed anchor chain sitting on a pallet, looked great, though brighter than I was expecting. There was another anchor chain on a pallet beside it, waiting to be done. They said seven days so expecting a call today or tomorrow. Will let you know.

They do the separating with hammers. I took the anchor and chain up last Tuesday and looked at a completed anchor chain sitting on a pallet, looked great, though brighter than I was expecting. There was another anchor chain on a pallet beside it, waiting to be done. They said seven days so expecting a call today or tomorrow. Will let you know.

Thanks. Yup, the chain never will better than when you get it back. :)

OK, got the chain and anchor back yesterday. Will be putting it back on tomorrow.

Really pleased with the result. Absolutely no fused links, and the anchor looks brand new.

When he told me the cost I thought (to myself!), WOW that was really inexpensive. Then he realized that he forgot to add the sandblasting! Still it was probably a quarter or a third of the cost of new chain and anchor.

Pics below.

Attachments

• Anchor2.jpg
    Anchor2.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Anchor3.jpg
    Anchor3.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Anchor1.jpg
    Anchor1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 86

Yep, but not for long. I have already started to notice the grayer galvanized coloring on parts of the chain as it was being loaded and the links "clinking" into each other! I am sure by the time we have completed the Exumas jaunt this year we will be back to dull grey! Which, by the way, is fine with me! :D

Before and after pics.

Attachments

• Anchor2.jpg
    Anchor2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 75
  • Anchor1.jpg
    Anchor1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Chain.jpg
    Chain.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 84
Sewing projects

Completed new set of cushions for the salon. Working on a new bag for the life sling now. After that I will be making some railing bumpers for the "dingy", ( My 17 foot Shamrock center console).

Probably a few varnish projects like the railings and possibly sew some covers for those.

Attachments

• file-1.jpg
    file-1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 75
Looks good Menzies. What size is the chain?
(Biting my tongue on the CQR and changes in anchor design)

Completed new set of cushions for the salon. Working on a new bag for the life sling now. After that I will be making some railing bumpers for the "dingy", ( My 17 foot Shamrock center console).

Probably a few varnish projects like the railings and possibly sew some covers for those.

Very nice job with cushions. Did you start from scratch or use the old as patterns?

Looks good Menzies. What size is the chain?
(Biting my tongue on the CQR and changes in anchor design)

3/8.

To your other comment I have a Maxwell 3500 dual windlass with a SuperMax 20 pivoting anchor on the other side.

I'm very comfortable with the set up.

Last edited:
... Working on a new bag for the life sling now.

Bought a new bag for mine last winter. Previous was really sun damaged. Really wanted to get a Sunbrella one but it would not have been here before we left on a cruise, so just bought a straight replacement.

-Made a lead weighted base for my radar screen which I covered with teak.
-Got my radar mast hinged. I cut the pieces and got my local fabr. to weld it and then I reinstalled.
-Removed my injection PT fuel pump and sent it out for a re/re at the local Cummins dealership.
-Working on a set of pockets for my wife to keep the paperwork, tide tables, mini charts, rules, guide books, etc in front of her. Such a simple, I thought, job but I am not a carpenter/woodworker so I have turned it into a major job. Have not irredeemably messed it up yet although I have tried.
-Soon to start a reseal of one front window where it adjoins the house. The glass to frame joint is NOT leaking. I will simply caulk at the base this year. I was going to pull the frame and all but realized there is a really good chance of breaking the frame and the glass so untill I am positive the window is the leak source this will be the test.
-Lots of other JTBD on the list but I have to get farther ahead on these before starting any more.
Some of these like the injection pump especially and the mast hinge were REQUIRED, not elective.

-Made a lead weighted base for my radar screen which I covered with teak.
-Got my radar mast hinged. I cut the pieces and got my local fabr. to weld it and then I reinstalled.
-Removed my injection PT fuel pump and sent it out for a re/re at the local Cummins dealership.
-Working on a set of pockets for my wife to keep the paperwork, tide tables, mini charts, rules, guide books, etc in front of her. Such a simple, I thought, job but I am not a carpenter/woodworker so I have turned it into a major job. Have not irredeemably messed it up yet although I have tried.
-Soon to start a reseal of one front window where it adjoins the house. The glass to frame joint is NOT leaking. I will simply caulk at the base this year. I was going to pull the frame and all but realized there is a really good chance of breaking the frame and the glass so untill I am positive the window is the leak source this will be the test.
-Lots of other JTBD on the list but I have to get farther ahead on these before starting any more.
Some of these like the injection pump especially and the mast hinge were REQUIRED, not elective.

Sounds like me, if I am not totally convinced I can do the job, I first procrastinate. Then I either try or call the pro. Both tend to end up with calling the pro!

I call procrastination the planning process, but yeah, I'm pretty good at the procrastination too, maybe less so at real planning.

I'm a burst-out procrastinator. Wherein... I gather up many procrastinated items in a mental bundle; then suddenly burst forward toward group completion. Usually works well for me. Saves time and money in that each item usually somehow relates to the others so then product shopping time is reduced and many tools don't need to be opened up and put away but usually once.

I'm a burst-out procrastinator.

I like that description. I have a box sitting in the salon as my bucket. This is all stuff I had planned on doing over the Florida "winter" season. But now have run out of time since we start this year's boating activities in two weeks.

In the bucket:

New davit cable, along with wire brush, Rustoleum and enamel to tidy up the davit motor.
Two new cockpit speakers.
Two new LED downlights for under the radar arch
50' of door seal for the PH and FB doors
Upgrade whisper kit for the guest Vacuflush
Sandpaper and Poly for the outside rails

Though the missus ain't helping resolve the procrastination - she said a few days ago "just put everything on the boat and we will take it with us and you can do it while we are cruising!"

Built the cushions from patterns taken from the boat.

Easting, I built the cushions from scratch. The old were all misshapen.

I'll give a shout out to Sailrite.com. They put out some very detailed videos for dozens of projects. They also seem competitive on their pricing for supplies.

About 15 years ago I bought my wife a Pfaff sewing machine. Has turned out to be pretty handy.

I am 3/4 the way through building a new Sunbrella bag for the Life Sling. It is coming out pretty sweet!

Hi Menzies. Pretty impressed with your list!
We are just getting started on ours. I had someone come out last week to measure for new blinds for the salon, galley, and sliding doors.
Also having some pfifertex shades made for the outside windows to include replacing all of the existing snaps with new. We will probably pull the trigger on a new flybridge enclosure as well.
David has a few mechanical things on the list but I don’t pay attention to that stuff. Lol
Next weekend he’s planning to replace the ball valve seals or whatever you call them on the toilets. The one in our bathroom is shot and the toilet is always bone dry.
Also on our list is getting the windlass fixed or replaced. When we anchor, I have to go up there and tap on the motor twice to get it going. Lol
There are lots of miscellaneous things that need to be done. Scrape out old caulking and replace. Try to figure out the source of a few small leaks and fix them.
That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Lastly, we are on the list with the detailer for a complete wax job. That’s prob not gonna happen till during the season at some point. This guy stays really busy.

Oh, unrelated, but we joined our local power squadron group so we are having fun getting to know fellow boaters.

Hope you are all well!

Last edited:
Started in November with a short list and for some reason I keep adding to it. Nothing too major though. New retractable 4' swim ladder (thanks mom). Local marine supply store has their big sale this week, so we will head down on Monday with the LIST and get as much as possible. Planning some "sick" days in April so that I can shorten the list, bit tough to do when the temp is low.

Working on my list too. All the stuff I ordered at the beginning of the month are starting to show up. mmmmmm Still a lot of work to do!!

Today... Leaking hose and old fan belt replaced on Tolly boat's gen set! :thumb:

In midst of purchasing fully self contained, super cool and comfortable [in like new condition] 1999 30' Motorhome. Not too big, not too small; with full queen sized walk around in large rear bed room :D

We're planning to enjoy boating fun and land-yacht excitement
throughout next several years. :dance:

Would love to improve the ventilation for my aft fridge/freezer. It vents into the pilot house which makes it inefficient in hot days. Not many options without major work.
As a backup I bought a large Engel cooler and will secure it to the back deck and add a seat cushion so we have extra ice storage and seating. We plan to be at Block Island for race week and do not want to have to restock ice every day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom