Ford Leehman 120HP - Looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horizon

Hi All, I just purchased a yacht with a Ford Leehman 120HP. Last weekend whilst out for a sail I noticed an oil leak from the bottom of the raw water pump. The leak appears to come from the indent the pump has at the bottom. It only leaks whilst the engine is running and the oil does appear to have some water in it as well. I am not familiar with this engines but for what I read the raw water pump cools the oil through the oil cooler. Any thoughts on what can be the problem? Thank you in advance.

Welcome aboard. Can you contact American Diesel in Virginia? They are excellent with advice and parts.

That pump is driven by a gear that is in the crankcase. The seal can be replaced.

Hi All, I just purchased a yacht with a Ford Leehman 120HP. Last weekend whilst out for a sail I noticed an oil leak from the bottom of the raw water pump. The leak appears to come from the indent the pump has at the bottom. It only leaks whilst the engine is running and the oil does appear to have some water in it as well. I am not familiar with this engines but for what I read the raw water pump cools the oil through the oil cooler. Any thoughts on what can be the problem? Thank you in advance.

The other info that has been posted is right on. The raw water pump essentially cools the entire engine. The raw water from that pump goes through the oil cooler, the "fresh water" heat exchanger (which cools the engine) the transmission cooler then out through the exhaust "elbow" which cools the exhaust gases after they leave the engine.

Ken

You mentioned two issues; one is a leak at the pump and the other is water in the oil. If that’s correct the second issue is more serious and needs to be diagnosed. Oil and water can also mix in the heat exchanger.

thank you for your message. The oil that accumulates in the bilge (very small amount) appears to have a few water drops. I have asked a local mechanic to look into it for me. Hopefully nothing too serious. Regards

cool thank you for explaining the workings of the water pump, I am learning fast about the FL. All and all it appears to be a good reliable engine. Regards

The replacement pump comes with a metal pin to plug the oil passage. They cost about $500 from ADC. The old one can suddenly break its drive connection, which is why you should update it.

Hi, I just had a look at the American Diesel website, looks like the place to go for spares. I also noticed that there is an American Diesel store here in New Zealand, I may contact them as well as they are probably linked with he store in the US.

.. I also noticed that there is an American Diesel store here in New Zealand, I may contact them as well as they are probably linked with he store in the US.
Can you post the NZ dealer website? Probably an importer/stockist rather than actually ADC.
There is supposed to be a stockist in Sydney, if so, well hidden. I imported parts from ADC, and some from helpful fredwarner1, on ebay. I think ADC would be the only source for the updated pump, the drive gears looked to be specially made by a toolmaker/fitter/machinist.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom