Apex versus AB RIBs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
The time has come for a new rib and I have it narrowed down to the Apex A12 or the AB VST 12. I have a 16 year old Apex A12 that still works fine so am leaning in that direction but curious if anyone has any strong opinions one way of the other. Will be paired with a Yamaha 50hp Power Thrust motor.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Arthur

I don't know the Apex models, but I do have a 15' AB DLX and the quality is excellent.

Also, I have a 11' Novurania that has a 25hp four stroke Yamaha on the back, and I think that is more than enough, and even too much with only one (big boy) on board. Is 50HP not a bit over done?

Hi Arthurc,

I have owned an AB Lamina AL, equipped with a St Croix helm station and a Tohatsu 30HP for three years now. I selected this version over similar competing models (such as your suggested AB VX12 for several reasons:
a. SIGNIFICANTLY more internal volume for the same external "footprint" (beam, length, tube diameter, etc.) than console-equipped inflatables. All that internal fiberglass in the console takes up a lot of space, reduces footroom, and precludes floorspace for crab and prawn pots, and additional passengers when required.
b. SIGNIFICANTLY less weight, particularly with 30HP vs 50HP. And I can easily plane four adults at ~22 knots. My AB Lamina AL weighs in at 437 lbs, fueled, all-up.
c. Bare-aluminum hull is essentially maintenance-free and bullet proof, even after many, many groundings on oyster beds and rocky beaches in the PNW. I've scuffed up the keel protector, but no issues with gelcoat scratches, impact crazing, cracking or delamination of any kind. A VERY tough boat.

Absolutely no issues to date with the boat. So, three thumbs up to AB for the design and build, Tohatsu for the engine, and Northwest Inflatables of Portland, OR for the sales and rigging of the boat. Unfortunately, nobody gives 'em away, but I'm a happy boy.

Regards,

Pete

Great to hear about the AB quality. As far as the engine size with a single in the trawler I’d like to have something big enough to move her if I have a fuel issue, etc. The power thrust version of the 50 or 60 with a high torque prop should move her just fine, and I love the integrated 14g gas tank on the Apex.
Also that should be enough to pull my son on an inner tube when up in desolation. Agreed it’s a bit of an overkill but why not :)

I think you might be looking at the wrong 12, the A-12 with console is rated to 50hp. I just saw one in the water with a motor that would be about 15lbs lighter and it looked pretty balanced.

How do the zodiac ribs stand? I am also looking for an 11-12ft rib used under $7k with trlr.

How do the zodiac ribs stand? I am also looking for an 11-12ft rib used under $7k with trlr.

I haven’t heard great things, I’d check and see what the tube material is as well.

I am assuming both boats are hypalon not pvc. The next question is can either of them be retubed in the future?

Ahh very good question, although my 2003 A12 lasted this long and in the Florida sun, kinda feeling like the motor will be the first to go...

Hi Arthurc,

a. SIGNIFICANTLY more internal volume for the same external "footprint" (beam, length, tube diameter, etc.) than console-equipped inflatables. All that internal fiberglass in the console takes up a lot of space, reduces footroom, and precludes floorspace for crab and prawn pots, and additional passengers when required.

This.

Whenever I see a center console RIB under about 15 feet I wonder how people fit in it. The consoles and bench seat take up so much room it severely compromises the boat's usefulness, IMO.

We did a beach trip with some friends in the Bahamas this summer, they have a 14' Nourvania CC with a 35hp, we have an 11' Caribe with a 20hp tiller Suzuki, (stripped, not even a center seat). We fit in three people, two beach chairs, an umbrella, anchor and safety gear, a medium sized soft sided cooler, a bag with extra clothes and some food and a 90lb dog. We still planed and had a little extra room. They brought three people and a small cooler. The boat was packed and riding low in the water.

It was also hard to drag up onto the beach and awkward to get in and out of. It is more like a big PWC than a multi use boat.

All fair points depending on your uses. I find that the A12 I have is super comfortable for 4 adults, 2 adults can easily manage 4 crab pots in it.
Since I use my tender for exploring as well, comfort matters as does internal gas tank, VHF, AIS, Plotter with depth, etc.

Hi Arthurc,

This.

Whenever I see a center console RIB under about 15 feet I wonder how people fit in it. The consoles and bench seat take up so much room it severely compromises the boat's usefulness, IMO.

We did a beach trip with some friends in the Bahamas this summer, they have a 14' Nourvania CC with a 35hp, we have an 11' Caribe with a 20hp tiller Suzuki, (stripped, not even a center seat). We fit in three people, two beach chairs, an umbrella, anchor and safety gear, a medium sized soft sided cooler, a bag with extra clothes and some food and a 90lb dog. We still planed and had a little extra room. They brought three people and a small cooler. The boat was packed and riding low in the water.

It was also hard to drag up onto the beach and awkward to get in and out of. It is more like a big PWC than a multi use boat.

Same comparison can be made between a 50 foot trawler designed for a cruising couple with occasional guests and a 50 foot Sea Ray with three cabins, a sleeper sofa and a convertible dinette.

We had a 10 foot Avon with no CC on our last boat - a Silverton that had bunks for 8. Did the job. Now we have an 11 foot cc, which more than does the job for two or four. As with everything, you buy to your needs.

We have a 11.5 ft Walker Bay with a 40hp Honda. We love it. I also have it set up for fishing with electric down riggers, VHF and a MFD.

Attachments

• 18425235_242962862849555_7692134460860073252_n.jpg
    18425235_242962862849555_7692134460860073252_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 74
They have plenty of room - 2.5 RIB with a 40hp...

Attachments

• enhanceTTGHUPGS.jpg
    enhanceTTGHUPGS.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 66
Previously had a Zodiac Yachtline 340.

Last year moved to a AB that was a foot longer.

Great ride, overall performanc is much better than the Zodiac. Much prefer the tube attachment.

Downside - the stainless hardware on the AB is not quality. Lots of rust issues. Some solved by rebedding. Had gotten this feedback from friends prior to purchase, so no surprise.

I think the tubes on Zodiac's are all made from PVC, seems are RF welded. If you plan on getting more than 5-7 years out of the dink, stick with Hypalon.

The time has come for a new rib and I have it narrowed down to the Apex A12 or the AB VST 12. I have a 16 year old Apex A12 that still works fine so am leaning in that direction but curious if anyone has any strong opinions one way of the other. Will be paired with a Yamaha 50hp Power Thrust motor.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Arthur

I used a 10' Apex with 15 hp in the Bahamas and Caribbean for 9 years. When I sold it because I found a great deal on a 12' Novurania with 25 hp, it was still in good shape. The Novurania and 25 hp Yamaha are now going on 20 years. The tubes were really showing a lot of wear so this past summer I tried painting the tubes with a Liquid Rubber paint marketed for inflatable boats (probably just Flex Seal, but I don't know). It turned out great and will hopefully give me another 5 years on the boat.

What is wrong with your current Apex that you want/need to replace it? You said it "still works fine"... If the hull is in good shape, you can put new tubes put on it for significantly less than what a new one will cost.

Ours is a 11' Achilles with a 20hp Honda.

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 22AAE13A-C605-4181-9565-D8D725840483.jpg
    22AAE13A-C605-4181-9565-D8D725840483.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 33
I was dissatisfied with the constant leaks with my Apex. Was a constant issue. I’d go with the AB

I think the tubes on Zodiac's are all made from PVC, seems are RF welded. If you plan on getting more than 5-7 years out of the dink, stick with Hypalon.

You can buy the Zodiac YL series boats with either PVC or Hypalon, they sell replacement tubes for them in either PVC or Hypalon as well. The PVC was easier to clean, held air better, and lasted quite a bit longer than 7 years but either is available.

By the way guys, if you want your RIB or inflatable refurbished, leaks fixed, outboard cables replaced at the same time, give this guy a chance if you are around St Augustine or JAX.

I have been taking my tenders to him for years and he does great work. Probably why his shop has new tubes for Coast Guard RIBs on the floor!

FairWinds Boat Repairs »

Last edited:
Previously had a Zodiac Yachtline 340.

Last year moved to a AB that was a foot longer.

Great ride, overall performanc is much better than the Zodiac. Much prefer the tube attachment.

Downside - the stainless hardware on the AB is not quality. Lots of rust issues. Some solved by rebedding. Had gotten this feedback from friends prior to purchase, so no surprise.

Quick tip on rust.....use Barkeeper's Friend powder .... Very effective remover, then wax...once a year....

Last edited:
I ended up going with the Apex, quality seemed equal when looking at seams, etc but the apex is lighter due to carbon fiber used for the console, larger fuel tank that’s more forward, bigger tubes and they run the tubes back farther which helps with balance when using a heavy motor.
I’m going to keep my bullfrog 11.5 and put a new motor on it and have both to play with, old apex will be given away.

You still going with the 50?

Honda BFP60 but with a limit at 75% throttle, same (8lbs more) weight as Yamaha 50 but will be able to push my trawler at several knots in case of an issue. Still working out the best prop for pushing the trawler and will swap out if a personal tugboat is needed versus the high speed prop. I’m sure I’ll hear some opinions that this is overkill but after loosing my main twice, once on the brand new JD6068 it’s piece of mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom